Groups

new bathroom design and fitted

We are thinking of redoing our bathroom next year. This will include buying a new shower, toilet and bath, and sink, tiling floor and walls. What would people recommend, go for a one stop solution where a company does it all, or just hire the relevant builders?

14 Comments

When you get different tradesman in to do things they can be prone not to consider the project as a whole, plus delay on the project waiting for the next person to come along. Me on the other hand does the whole lot and there is only one person to point the finger at if things dont go right or things get damaged. Try and find someone through word of mouth, possibly with work you can actually see. Pay no deposit, pay directly for costly items and get them delivered yourself. If asked even for a small sum say £250 for materials that would ring alarm bells to me, however that said there is nothing wrong with paying for things if done as some adhesives for example can be prohibtively expensive. Also if you only have one bathroom I suggest get the work done in the summer as you maybe without a bath or shower for a few days, and strip washes aren't fun in the cold winter mornings.

Banned

One builder or One project manager/company.

If something goes wrong only one person to take to court.
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 22nd Oct 2016

Original Poster

Very good points guys, thankfully we have 1 ensuite too. Now to find someone reliable and reasonably priced

Where in the country are you?

Original Poster

hubcms

Where in the country are you?

Essex

Well if you're near Clacton then I might be able to help. All the best Jeremy

Original Poster

hubcms

Well if you're near Clacton then I might be able to help. All the best … Well if you're near Clacton then I might be able to help. All the best Jeremy

No not that close i am afraid, thanks anyway

Get at least 3 quotes from reputable companies who can do the entire job, preferably companies who have been recommended by friends/word of mouth, ideal if they can they show you before/after pictures.

Getting in the separate trades can be more hassle than its worth, unless you know specific tradesman, plumbers/electricians/tilers etc and mates rates can see some savings.

Agree with the above comment re not paying a deposit, but for costly items, check with the builders, they may get a trade discount which you wouldn't get by paying direct.

Remember - a reputable builder will not ask for money up front.

p.s. I'm 6 weeks into a 2 bed & bathroom extension, total estimated costs are >£40k, my builder hasn't asked for a penny yet, and I /we reckon we are 4/5 weeks from completion.

Edited by: "andynicol" 23rd Oct 2016

I wouldn't use a builder to do a bathroom, you need a plumber, tiler and electrician.

If a company didn't ask for a deposit I would assume they are crap or dont have a clue about running a business. Any reputable tradesman will require one with relevant paperwork to protect you both.

Sadly non reputable people ask for a deposit on what I would deem a small project eggs materials less than £1k excluding finished items the **** off.

I don't think I've ever fitted a bathroom with materials less than 1k.

The idea of not paying tradesman a deposit is perpetuated by the likes of that "baldy on the telly" Dom. Most people don't understand running a business - we charge a deposit to ensure a firm commitment of our valuable time. If you think they are going to run away with your money why the hell would you let them into your home to do work.

themorgatron

If you think they are going to run away with your money why the hell … If you think they are going to run away with your money why the hell would you let them into your home to do work.

You would of course agree though that there are many, many folks masquerading as builders who do just that?

I stand by what I said earlier, an honest builder won't ask for a penny beforehand, once the works start then of course pay towards materials, but not before, any tradesman I've ever got in to do work hasn't requested money until the jobs done.

Edited by: "andynicol" 24th Oct 2016

Post the work you need doing on My Builder website and you should get some quotes back from them. I've just finished work doing my on suite shower and it looks lovely. Early next year starting my bathroom, saving me getting a workman in to do the job.

Original Poster

Found a few local bathroom 1-stop design places, i think we are going to get up to 4 quotes so that we can compare, and check the work they have done. We are not in a rush, so we will take our time and chose the best we can. Last time we were having our extension built, we cut some corners as we run out of money, and TBH it is a false economy as we found out the hard way
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      2. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??48

See more discussions