Posted 25th Dec 2022
I am looking to buy a new tyre that is similar to my existing tyre. My existing tyre is 26" x 1.5"

It also states kenda west to fit HB- 575 rim size

I understand the 26" x 1.5" but I am uncertain what the rim size HB-575 means.

Any recommendation of a tyre that I can buy? I only need the front one so do they sell them singly rather than a pair?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Ignore the imperial sizes if you can. They were originally for the outside diameter of the tyre which is a very poor way to measure compatibility with wheels as different tyres are different thicknesses, so various markets over the years ended up using the same measurement for different wheel diameters.

The ISO standard sizes are much better. They're in millimeters and normally given like 37-559 with the first being a nominal width of the tyre and the second being an exact diameter of the rim it fits. If you have that value of the tyre then anything with an identical second value should fit. The first value is more flexible, but straying too far above it can cause clearance issues

575mm could be the rim diameter, it's within the range that corresponded to the various 26" tyres but if so it's a very unusual one. There doesn't seem to be much info online about it, so if so I guess it was a short lived trend.

If it's a mountain bike from the last couple of decades then the most common size wheel for 26" would be 559mm.
    Author
    49147961-Qc6o8.jpgdo these pics make more sense? (edited)
    HB means hooked bead. More information... Hook VS Hookless Rims (lightbicycle.com)

You just to know if you get anything bigger than 1.5, that it can fit. Obviously if you have a road bike, its unlikely you will be fitting mountain tyres on it anyway.
    Author
    thanks. so now I understand what hook beaded tyre means. what about the 575, what is that all about?
    Also not sure what the latter letters and numbers mean but I don't seem to have those on mine. I think if you have a look on Tredz, Chain reaction or Planet X you should be able to find a suitable replacement. You can buy singles and often, depending on the bike and the terrain people often have a different front tyre to the rear
    Author
    So do you just look for tyres that are 26" x 1.5"? And that is all the information you need for a tyre?
    Author
    49147967-7TKSz.jpg
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants