New boiler needed... who to buy from?

Posted 7th Jan
My boiler is loosing pressure, had boiler repair men out who say I need an expansion vessel prv and possibly new flue as they are unsure if the current one will come out intact. They will have to lift the whole boiler off the wall and say it may not work well after.. so they recommended a new boiler. Could be sales talk, but it’s got me thinking...

It’s a ferroli boiler about 13 years old. Haven’t had any problems in the 7 years of moving in the house apart from a leak which was fixed easily.

Every service guy that have serviced the boiler all commented how a ferroli boiler is awful, and to change it asap.

So I think now may be the time to Upgrade, the guys who came say it’s about 2k to change to a Baxi with 10 years warranty.
Does this sound about right? Who supply’s and installs, British Gas? Or any other company in the north east... recommendations please
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
2k is expensive. I had a brand new boiler fitted yesterday from a local heating engineer and I paid 2k but that included relocation of the boiler from an internal wall to a pantry. The boiler fitted was a potterton gold which is affectively the same as baxi. Hope this helps
MonkeyMan9007/01/2020 11:19

2k is expensive. I had a brand new boiler fitted yesterday from a local …2k is expensive. I had a brand new boiler fitted yesterday from a local heating engineer and I paid 2k but that included relocation of the boiler from an internal wall to a pantry. The boiler fitted was a potterton gold which is affectively the same as baxi. Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply, 2k is the max I would pay tbh. But as the boiler is going in the same place, I’m wondering now if maybe 2k is a bit much then. How many years warranty did you get with your new boiler?
minamoo07/01/2020 11:23

Thank you for your reply, 2k is the max I would pay tbh. But as the boiler …Thank you for your reply, 2k is the max I would pay tbh. But as the boiler is going in the same place, I’m wondering now if maybe 2k is a bit much then. How many years warranty did you get with your new boiler?

The boiler has 2 year warranty but there are other boilers with bigger warranties. This particular boiler was a recommendation from the heating engineer
Boxt for us, nearly £600 to a grand cheaper than any of the quotes we got. Plenty out there with 10 year warranties but they aren’t cheap that’s for sure
Edited by: "eslick" 7th Jan
Are you 100% sure its the boiler (more specifically the expansion vessel) that's the cause of the pressure loss? Have you had another opinion and how do they know its not your system i.e the pipes and radiators that's not faulty, have they done a pressure test on that whilst isolated from the boiler?

First thing I would do is re pressurise the system to 2 bar then turn both isolation valves off on the flow and return (hopefully you have them fitted) and then leave it for a few days, if pressure is lost according to the boiler display then it is the boiler at fault, if it keeps pressure then the boiler is good and the fault must be elsewhere.
Any gas installer who is happy to throw a boiler on the wall in a day for £500 labour can beat the price BOXT charge.
themorgatron07/01/2020 13:17

Any gas installer who is happy to throw a boiler on the wall in a day for …Any gas installer who is happy to throw a boiler on the wall in a day for £500 labour can beat the price BOXT charge.

Should take longer than a day if flushed so the system confirms to the British standard required for all boiler manufacturer warranties to be valid.
paulj4807/01/2020 13:36

Should take longer than a day if flushed so the system confirms to the …Should take longer than a day if flushed so the system confirms to the British standard required for all boiler manufacturer warranties to be valid.

The boiler guys who came today said a new boiler fitted would be a few hours. :/
paulj4807/01/2020 12:56

Are you 100% sure its the boiler (more specifically the expansion vessel) …Are you 100% sure its the boiler (more specifically the expansion vessel) that's the cause of the pressure loss? Have you had another opinion and how do they know its not your system i.e the pipes and radiators that's not faulty, have they done a pressure test on that whilst isolated from the boiler? First thing I would do is re pressurise the system to 2 bar then turn both isolation valves off on the flow and return (hopefully you have them fitted) and then leave it for a few days, if pressure is lost according to the boiler display then it is the boiler at fault, if it keeps pressure then the boiler is good and the fault must be elsewhere.

I will see if I can do that, thank you. They saw water coming from the pipe outside when the pressure went up to 2.5 bar when heater was on. Which they said confirmed it was the expansion vessel.
paulj4807/01/2020 13:36

Should take longer than a day if flushed so the system confirms to the …Should take longer than a day if flushed so the system confirms to the British standard required for all boiler manufacturer warranties to be valid.

Completely agree. BOXT advertise a Magnacleanse. The reality is they will connect the unit up for a couple of hours whilst they commission the boiler and check rads are hot, then put a tick in the benchmark to say they've satisfied BS 7593.

It will interesting to see other manufacturers refusing warranty claims when the system water test fails. I'm not sure Worcester can was their hands of the warranty so easily when they have a part ownership in BOXT.
minamoo07/01/2020 13:42

The boiler guys who came today said a new boiler fitted would be a few …The boiler guys who came today said a new boiler fitted would be a few hours. :/

A boiler can be 'replaced' in a few hours but I'd hardly call that 'fitted'. Like I said even if a system is brand new it needs flushing at a minimum, chemical flushing or power flushing to comply with any manufacturers warranty. Then after fitting you'll need the sysyem re-balanced as the boiler will have different 'characteristics' and hopefully less resistance due to the flush.
for 2k can you get a new boiler, installed, flushed with 10 year warranty?
Replace the prv, fit a new expansion vessel somewhere else in the property, no need to take the boiler off the wall. Shouldn’t cost more than a couple of hundred.
Get quotes from a few heating engineers, preferably independent ones rather than big company ones. Be honest with them & let them know that you're getting a few different quotes, as they're more likely to offer a better deal if they know they're having to compete with others for your business.
My emergency cover insurance who I insure the boiler with, has called back saying the repair guys said that I would need a new boiler because the flue can’t be bought anymore as ferroli is out of business so can’t get the same part.
So they have offered to pay up to £500 towards the cost of a new boiler. So With that news, I need to search for someone to supply and fit a new boiler. Again, they’re recommending Baxi
minamoo07/01/2020 16:09

So they have offered to pay up to £500 towards the cost of a new boiler. …So they have offered to pay up to £500 towards the cost of a new boiler. So With that news, I need to search for someone to supply and fit a new boiler. Again, they’re recommending Baxi

Is that £500 with their prefered fitter or any fitter?

When I had a new boiler fitted I paid £2k, I also had quotes of upto £3.5k for the same boiler for the multinationals, therefore £500 toward a boiler may be worth nothing.
paulj4807/01/2020 16:30

Is that £500 with their prefered fitter or any fitter?When I had a new …Is that £500 with their prefered fitter or any fitter?When I had a new boiler fitted I paid £2k, I also had quotes of upto £3.5k for the same boiler for the multinationals, therefore £500 toward a boiler may be worth nothing.

I asked that, they said it could be with any fitter. Or go with theirs, either or.

So it’s just the case of looking around, getting it done then submitting proof of installation to be refunded £500
Never as simple as that, but in any case a new boiler is needed.
BG quoted me 2500 after a 400£ discount for a WB i30 including installation. This includes
Install Hydroflow HS38 scale reducer £99.00
Install 22mm Magnetic System Filter £159.00
Plus 5 year warranty, 1st year including boiler, controls and heating.
Boxt is quoting me £3300 for a 24kW system boiler or £4300 for a 40kW combo boiler.
Other than roof placement for the flue my boiler is in the loft with really good access. No idea why they are so high on price.
Oneday7707/01/2020 17:42

Boxt is quoting me £3300 for a 24kW system boiler or £4300 for a 40kW c …Boxt is quoting me £3300 for a 24kW system boiler or £4300 for a 40kW combo boiler. Other than roof placement for the flue my boiler is in the loft with really good access. No idea why they are so high on price.

probably accounting for the need of a roofer and scaffold access.
paulj4808/01/2020 12:20

probably accounting for the need of a roofer and scaffold access.

I thought that too. Nope tried adjusting the quote for wall mounted with easy access. Saved about £300 per quote.
Obviously Aberdeen is too captive a market.
Oneday7708/01/2020 12:23

I thought that too. Nope tried adjusting the quote for wall mounted with …I thought that too. Nope tried adjusting the quote for wall mounted with easy access. Saved about £300 per quote. Obviously Aberdeen is too captive a market.

Try a different postcode just to see
paulj4808/01/2020 12:30

Try a different postcode just to see

Only makes a slight difference. Looks like a detached home with 1-5 bedrooms doesn’t change much for me.
Might try a different browser, call my cynical it’s like they remembered my first search and only tweak it on subsequent checks.
Oneday7708/01/2020 15:44

Only makes a slight difference. Looks like a detached home with 1-5 …Only makes a slight difference. Looks like a detached home with 1-5 bedrooms doesn’t change much for me. Might try a different browser, call my cynical it’s like they remembered my first search and only tweak it on subsequent checks.

FYI my 3 bed semi comes out at £1550 for the cheapest, and then £2k for the next Bolier up in Greater Manchester
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions