New boiler recomendations

Posted 14th JanEdited by:"rimalpatel007"
Need to shop around for a new boiler as the existing one is 15 years old and parts are becoming obsolete. We are in a 2 bed flat with one bathroom. Boiler in the same position.

British Gas quoted £2250 including labour for a Combi. 5 year warranty for boiler but 1st year only covers boiler controls and central heating.

Where would you advice I start looking for quotes and helpful tips on spec?

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Dont shop around bite british gas` hand off at £225 !!!
"£225" is there a 0 missing from that figure?
It's ones of those things where people are always fighting over which brand is best. I'm actually in a similar position to you in that I have an old boiler and it will no longer be economical to repair if it goes wrong. I expect I will go for a Baxi Platinum as the warranty is 10 years and they are reasonably priced. Plus my existing Baxi has been pretty good despite only being a low-end model.

Whichever brand you choose, I suggest you get one with a decent warranty (more than 5 years) and make sure that you do what is required by the manufacturer. For some brands the installer has to be an approved one and they generally also require that you service the boiler once a year otherwise the warranty will be invalidated.
You won’t get cheaper than that
what type of boiler? combi, system or heat only. A 15 year old heat only would be fine at 15 years old and with the investion of the internet then parts for most boilers are always available somewhere.
Edited by: "paulj48" 14th Jan
Did BG tell you parts are 'becoming obsolete'?

I got that comment twice about 17 yrs ago during an annual services. CH boiler system was 17yrs+ old. But my brother, who worked for them at the time (not an engineer), explained that just because parts held by BG were low, it doesn't mean they couldn't source them elsewhere. A sales push!

Still have the same boiler. 11 yrs ago called a local gas chap as radiators wouldn't come on - turned out a little sediment had caused pump to 'stick' after them not being used over the summer. He thumped it hard and it came back to life!
This year the pump died. Had another fitted, plus a new wall-mounted controller.

Just because the boiler is older, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be replaced, especially if working well. Just a thought!
Edited by: "sjs31" 14th Jan
paulj4814/01/2020 10:22

what type of boiler? combi, system or heat only. A 15 year old heat only …what type of boiler? combi, system or heat only. A 15 year old heat only would be fine at 15 years old and with the investion of the internet then parts for most boilers are always available somewhere.

Combi
rimalpatel00714/01/2020 10:30

Combi

Like sjs says above parts will be available, with companies like BOXT who can install 'next day' then run it till its on its last legs.
boxt.co.uk/ is a really good comparison site
jb6614/01/2020 12:01

https://www.boxt.co.uk/ is a really good comparison site

This, no one local could get anywhere near their prices
Is your household income less thank 16k? Then it’s free
Otherwise vailant and baxi are good
jb6614/01/2020 12:01

https://www.boxt.co.uk/ is a really good comparison site

eslick14/01/2020 12:05

This, no one local could get anywhere near their prices

Thanks I'll check them out Vs locals.
We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty - don't know if you can get cheaper than Screwfix but for illustration of cost this one should be big enough for you. screwfix.com/p/i….ds
yorkie1214/01/2020 13:19

We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty - don't know if you can get cheaper …We have an Ideal with 10 year warranty - don't know if you can get cheaper than Screwfix but for illustration of cost this one should be big enough for you. https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-logic-max-combi-c24-gas-combi-boiler/421FV?tc=ET5&ds_kid=92700038842557208&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249404&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1248151&gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS6a2Lsyn1rxKOU83nI4IscaL0jdLdomGQJQNLkjGdBnf16tPxcO72BoCa6kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A warranty essentially costs £80 to £100 a year as that's what the annual service will cost essential to keep the warranty active so £1k for 10 years cover. On the flip side it is recommended to have an annual service.
I have seen brand new Biasi boilers fitted and supplied for £600. I’m sure that’s the deal we had. Included was a wireless heating remote. The boiler seems sound tbh. I’ve seen a similar biasi boiler used in a small business which had been operating for years
paulj4814/01/2020 13:36

A warranty essentially costs £80 to £100 a year as that's what the annual s …A warranty essentially costs £80 to £100 a year as that's what the annual service will cost essential to keep the warranty active so £1k for 10 years cover. On the flip side it is recommended to have an annual service.

You should have an annual service anyway as you say. I'm lucky as my son and son in law are both gas fitters.
yorkie1214/01/2020 14:52

You should have an annual service anyway as you say. I'm lucky as my son …You should have an annual service anyway as you say. I'm lucky as my son and son in law are both gas fitters.

my 35 year old boiler I replaced 2 years ago never had a service in my 12 years of owning it, didn't skip a beat LOL, unfortunately newer Erp boilers are full of sensors and electronics and are a lot less reliable these days so require the routine maintenance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions