New bolier

Posted 17th Oct
well my old baxi boiler has finally given up the ghost. need a complete new system to switch to combi. anyone got any boiler recommendations?.
how much roughly am I looking to be fitted all in for a 3 bedroom semi in South Wales?.

Cheers

John
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Not Baxi... I hate ours. Supposed to be an "eco" boiler, yet i can fill the whole washing up bowl with COLD water (from the hot tap) before the water starts to get hot! Its really bad just how much water is wasted because of this "eco" boiler.
heatable.co.uk/

Used these guys last month - very happy with everything.

Fitted and flushed with 10yr warranty for £1800.
When our Baxi blew up last year we went with a Worcester Bosch. No regrets here (so far!)
Dominic_Smith17/10/2019 20:56

https://heatable.co.uk/Used these guys last month - very happy with …https://heatable.co.uk/Used these guys last month - very happy with everything.Fitted and flushed with 10yr warranty for £1800.

My quote £2500
Valiant are really good. Mine's been going for 20 years with only 1 service in the middle.
Went from a conventional to a combi, it cost £3,800. British gas wanted £4,500. 22mm gas pipe had to go through garage roof.
Edited by: "backyard" 17th Oct
zworld17/10/2019 22:02

Valiant are really good. Mine's been going for 20 years with only 1 …Valiant are really good. Mine's been going for 20 years with only 1 service in the middle.

Ho ho

Valiant are really good. Mine's been going for 20 years with only 1 …Valiant are really good. Mine's been going for 20 years with only 1 service in the middle.

+1 for Vaillant. Had one in my previous property and it was a superb bit of kit! They really are worth the extra couple of hundred quid.
brailer17/10/2019 21:50

My quote £2500

If you want a fixed quote then boxt see cheaper and have a wider choice of boilers (possibly cheaper as well). I've not used them but been looking into it after seeing them posted in here.
Can't beat Boxt
Edited by: "DLiquidator" 17th Oct

Couldn’t agree more
german product.

i have one.
Got a local guy coming on weekend. Il let u know what he says. Thanks guys.
Following my question about next-day installers yesterday, I'll be getting quotes from BOXT and Heatables today.

£105 TCB for BOXT, btw.

I'm a little concerned about the "free" Nest intelligent thermostat with BOXT (?) as it's for my technophobic elderly mum.

I think I also need a new heating pump, but I'm not sure if that'd be part of the fixed price. There's something under the hall floor making weird groaning noises when I turn the heating on.
118luke17/10/2019 20:40

Not Baxi... I hate ours. Supposed to be an "eco" boiler, yet i can fill …Not Baxi... I hate ours. Supposed to be an "eco" boiler, yet i can fill the whole washing up bowl with COLD water (from the hot tap) before the water starts to get hot! Its really bad just how much water is wasted because of this "eco" boiler.

How far is your tap from the boiler? You will have to empty the 'pipe' before the hot water arrives..
My boiler is booked in for a repair next Wednesday too. Suspecting they are going to say it's knackered. Parts are insured through domestic and general, but the local place which repairs them has just phoned and said it might be new boiler time. Said between 3 - 4 K which I thought was expensive.

It's a 20yr old Worcester bosh combo boiler.
Buy a Glow Worm boiler, it's Vailant internals in a different case and a lot cheaper as a result.
First tip: Avoid any of those online companies : Rip off quotes.

Get british gas to do a free quote and then a couple of local installers with good reviews

British gas will be a rip off as well but at least you will have an idea of how competitive the local installers will be
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 18th Oct
Worcester bosch. Look on their website for local installers. Probably 2-3k installed.

Most modern boilers are good for 10-15 years without any new parts (just require servicing where they adjust things) so don’t be fooled by promise of 10 year warranties as they aren’t worth the paper they are written on as you won’t need them with a decent boiler.
w1nd18/10/2019 09:05

How far is your tap from the boiler? You will have to empty the 'pipe' …How far is your tap from the boiler? You will have to empty the 'pipe' before the hot water arrives..

Literally immediately above and to the left of the kitchen sink. I can understand it if it was the upstairs taps, but the boiler takes ages to purge before igniting. Running the tap in the en-suite (3 bed house) and its literally 60 seconds worth of wasted water before it begins to get warm. I've learned to start the tap running before i use the toilet so it becomes warm when i wash my hands.
I have been looking at quotes and found that a local installer looks the best for me. Competitively priced too and they do a home care which is cheaper than the big companies.

Have a look it could be surprising. Also do a 0% finance.
My current boiler is 12 years old and recently been playing up where the pressure is dropping and get 6a error code appear one a week.
rimalpatel00718/10/2019 22:55

My current boiler is 12 years old and recently been playing up where the …My current boiler is 12 years old and recently been playing up where the pressure is dropping and get 6a error code appear one a week.

Have you still not sorted it out?
JimboParrot19/10/2019 08:23

Have you still not sorted it out?

Nope.
I think it's related to the new chrome radiator installed in the bathroom. Issue been occurring when the radiator vales are closed. When I opened them the error appears once a fortnight. Pressure drops slightly then rises when combi kicks in.
I'd get it sorted asap, certainly before this winter.
What is a baxi 680? Been quoted with one of these. Doesn't come up on Google
Plumber came back. It's a baxi 830 boiler, thoughts?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants