Posted 10th Jan 2023 (Posted 17 h, 6 m ago)
Just coming to the end of my Sky contract and the broadband has been stable but I’ve been struggling with connection dropping in a couple of bedrooms. We’re not in a huge house and I would have hoped the WiFi would have reached all areas. Attempting to set up a Mesh system with the Sky Q router also looks like a right faff.

I’d like to give myself the best possible chance of having the WiFi reach every room in the house without needing to set up a Mesh system so was wondering if anyone knew of any Broadband providers that people could recommend that supply a good quality router? I’m currently paying around £30 a month with Sky for a speed of around 35mbps so something just to give an idea.

Really appreciate any advice.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    TalkTalk offers a very good router with good wifi range.

You can then add a mesh system to foolproof your wifi needs.
  2. Avatar
    you’ll get 65mb with Vodafone, for £22pm, £19pm if anyone in your house has a Vodafone mobile..

I have a Mercusys mesh, cheap of eBay, pretty easy setup..
  3. Avatar
    £30 for 35mbps?? You're being ripped off.

If I were you, I wouldn't choose your next ISP on the basis of the router, as it's only a tiny fraction of the overall expense. Your new ISP will definitely be cheaper than £30, so choose one, try out their router, and if it's no good just buy a better one with the money you've saved from ditching your current contract.
  4. Avatar
    In my experience so far, BT and Plusnet routers are pretty decent for Wi-Fi coverage (they are essentially the same).  Sky and Now have shockingly bad Wi-Fi from their routers.  I’m with Now at the moment and it can struggle in some areas, previous Plusnet router had no problems.
  5. Avatar
    Have had both Shell and Vodafone. Routers managed to get a good WiFi signal all through 4 bed extended house. Have a look on MSE for current deals. - moneysavingexpert.com/com…ls/
  6. Avatar
    Changing the router's wifi channel(s) to less congested one(s) and/or relocating the existing router may negate any requirement for ISP change.
    First use phone app to check and note wifi congestion/strength in each separate place wifi is required,
    then disconnect router from bb source and move router to various (central?) locations and re-check wifi congestion/strength in same separate places (no connection to bb source required just to check wifi congestion/strength).
    If notable improvement just by changing channel: happy days.
    Or if router relocation has been shown to better disperse wifi: consider feasibility of re-routing (sic) or extending bb source cable to the identified ideal location.

Random example freebie Android wifi check app: play.google.com/sto…pro
  7. Avatar
    Buy yourself a decent router (it doesn't have to be expensive) and then you can ditch the terrible ISP router which they supply wherever you go - you are guaranteed to see an improvement
  8. Avatar
    Vodafone is brilliant

Ask for line transfer and they do all the hard work for you (edited)
Top Merchants