Groups
    EXPIRED

New Car!! Around £3,000 - 1.6? Recommendations?

Anyone got a good recommendation for a new car for the above price....

I'm not picky so am looking at all makes and models......would 3k get me a 2004 car?

16 Comments

I will be selling my 04 reg plate car in Feb/March.

Renault Megane 2004 June plate (04)
    Dynamique
    98054k miles
    3 Door (sport),
    Ask price will be 2500,

Not lookig to sell now, but will come feb/March

So yes, for 3k you can get an 04 plate

Happy hunting!

Second hand - definitely
    you might get a new one for that price if you use the scrappage allowance.

Try searching on [url]www.autotrader.co.uk[/url]. Put in your postcode, how far you're prepared to go, the price range, say £2,000 to £3,000 then keep redefining search criteria until you get a reasonable number of hits. That should give you a good idea of what you'll get for your money.

Won't get a car on scrappage scheme for 3k sorry to say. Maybe for 6k, but not 3k.

Hi

Bought my Citroen C4 just over 12 months ago for £3.5k which is an 05 plate. Found that Citroens seemed cheap compared to Fords, Vauxhalls etc. So probably be looking at French cars, lot of people say quality of Citroens/Peugoets etc not as good, but thats why they are cheaper!! As Tony said above, did all the search though auto trader - good seach engine. Happy hunting

You could get an 02/03 plate audi A3 1.6 for around this budget. Ive got a 1.6 Astra 51 plate which i really like, your budget would get you upto a 2003 model, but they had the facelift in 2004, so these are much more expensive. Also my husband says a VW Bora do a 1.6 model which is nice and within your budget

oh yeah, dont buy french, their cars are cheaper fo a reason, peugout, citroen and renault cars r pants and will always let u down, especialy as with your budget u will be buying without warranty. And Japanese cars like nissan, toyota, subaru, mazda etc will cost u a fortune in parts if something ever needs replacing

Original Poster

saz2696;7210722

You could get an 02/03 plate audi A3 1.6 for around this budget. Ive got … You could get an 02/03 plate audi A3 1.6 for around this budget. Ive got a 1.6 Astra 51 plate which i really like, your budget would get you upto a 2003 model, but they had the facelift in 2004, so these are much more expensive. Also my husband says a VW Bora do a 1.6 model which is nice and within your budget

I wouldnt mind an Audi....had my sisters A4 for a couple of months and it drove like a dream...

Seen an 54 plate focus for 3k with only 51,000 on the clock but when phoned he said he deals with Cat C and Cat D insurance right offs. I was turned off straight away but he said there cheaper and it may be only a case of a new panel or bumper.... Anyone recommend this?

brez;7211502

I wouldnt mind an Audi....had my sisters A4 for a couple of months and it … I wouldnt mind an Audi....had my sisters A4 for a couple of months and it drove like a dream...Seen an 54 plate focus for 3k with only 51,000 on the clock but when phoned he said he deals with Cat C and Cat D insurance right offs. I was turned off straight away but he said there cheaper and it may be only a case of a new panel or bumper.... Anyone recommend this?

I personaly wouldnt mate. Basicaly for a car to be a right off the insurance company has decided its not in their interest to repair the vehicle which meens a garage has quoted a repair price which is more than the engineer has valued the car.

I wouldnt particualy want to buy a car that has previously had £4000 worth of damage. Even if it has been repaired and the dvla have permited it safe to be back on the road, i wouldnt trust it.

I think it is a different story if a £1000 car has been declared an insurance right off. It would only take a couple of panels and a bit of garage labour to force an estimate higher than the cars value.

My brother has got an audi A3 and he totaly loves it, his is the 1.8 turbo version but the look of the 1.6 version is good, just not as powerfull. Audis and vw are built to last. Did u take a look at any boras?

brez;7211502

I wouldnt mind an Audi....had my sisters A4 for a couple of months and it … I wouldnt mind an Audi....had my sisters A4 for a couple of months and it drove like a dream...Seen an 54 plate focus for 3k with only 51,000 on the clock but when phoned he said he deals with Cat C and Cat D insurance right offs. I was turned off straight away but he said there cheaper and it may be only a case of a new panel or bumper.... Anyone recommend this?

Ex-write-offs could be OK but they are a risk and the major problem comes when you try to resell them. I'd expect a discount of around 40% off the normal selling price on a Cat D and substantially more for a Cat C because that's what dealers pay for them! Anyone who tells you different is probably trying to sell a Cat C or D. :thumbsup: Personally, I wouldn't touch one unless I knew it's history from someone I trusted (which excludes virtually all car sellers) - just not worth the risk.

You also need to check insurance cost if you're considering something like an Audi - they're OK but unless you're over 35 and have full NCB, they're very expensive to insure.

Original Poster

saz2696;7212092

I personaly wouldnt mate. Basicaly for a car to be a right off the … I personaly wouldnt mate. Basicaly for a car to be a right off the insurance company has decided its not in their interest to repair the vehicle which meens a garage has quoted a repair price which is more than the engineer has valued the car.I wouldnt particualy want to buy a car that has previously had £4000 worth of damage. Even if it has been repaired and the dvla have permited it safe to be back on the road, i wouldnt trust it.I think it is a different story if a £1000 car has been declared an insurance right off. It would only take a couple of panels and a bit of garage labour to force an estimate higher than the cars value.My brother has got an audi A3 and he totaly loves it, his is the 1.8 turbo version but the look of the 1.6 version is good, just not as powerfull. Audis and vw are built to last. Did u take a look at any boras?

I have had a look and they look pretty nice, never considered them before.....BUT most seem to have done around 100,000 miles! Looks like they might have been popular as company cars maybe?

As regards to the insurance for audis I am 30 years old, but only have 1 years NCB.....

Cant see an Audi A3 for less than 3.5k though!

Cheers for your help by the way..........

I can offer you either a Fiat stilo 1.6 Dynamique saloon with 30k odd miles (wifes car) or a fiat stilo 1.6 active aircon estate with 20k odd miles. My car) Both are 04 plates. I now have a company vehicle and wife wants a smaller car.

From what you say, I'd suggest a Ford Focus 1.6. Look for an 04 or 54 with under 60k on the clock. They can be found around the £3k mark. If you're getting it in the next week or so, it's a really good time to haggle a good price. Even car dealers have Christmas presents to buy so they need your cash. :-D

Original Poster

tony_s1;7213768

From what you say, I'd suggest a Ford Focus 1.6. Look for an 04 or 54 … From what you say, I'd suggest a Ford Focus 1.6. Look for an 04 or 54 with under 60k on the clock. They can be found around the £3k mark. If you're getting it in the next week or so, it's a really good time to haggle a good price. Even car dealers have Christmas presents to buy so they need your cash. :-D

Thanks for the tip...I am looking right now and will look especially in the next week.....

With regards to the Stilo, thanks for the offer, but not sure I want another Fiat...had nothing but trouble with my old Punto....

I think I've got my heart set on a Focus now.... but defo cant go above 3k!

I live in the Warrington area so can get pretty much anywhere in the north west......

brez;7222822

Thanks for the tip...I am looking right now and will look especially in … Thanks for the tip...I am looking right now and will look especially in the next week.....With regards to the Stilo, thanks for the offer, but not sure I want another Fiat...had nothing but trouble with my old Punto....I think I've got my heart set on a Focus now.... but defo cant go above 3k! I live in the Warrington area so can get pretty much anywhere in the north west......

Oddly enough I might have recommended a Fiat Punto Grande because they are incredibly cheap. I owned one for a couple of years and, to be honest, it was better than the old Puntos but still rattled and had the same inimitable Italian electrics. It's a good car to drive but a dreadful car to own, just like all Fiats.

Fords are generally OK as long as you avoid Ford Main Dealers and the Focus is a nice car to drive. Best of luck with your searching. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

tony_s1;7226671

Oddly enough I might have recommended a Fiat Punto Grande because they … Oddly enough I might have recommended a Fiat Punto Grande because they are incredibly cheap. I owned one for a couple of years and, to be honest, it was better than the old Puntos but still rattled and had the same inimitable Italian electrics. It's a good car to drive but a dreadful car to own, just like all Fiats. Fords are generally OK as long as you avoid Ford Main Dealers and the Focus is a nice car to drive. Best of luck with your searching. :thumbsup:

Thanks for you help mate!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions