New car battery registration

Posted 13th Oct
Hi guys, my bmw car battery needs replacing and I recently found out that the new battery needs to be registered to the onboard computer. apparently this is crucial so the car doesn't under/overcharge the new battery and shorten its life span.

I plan to get a like for like replacement but does anyone know if Halfords will do the reg? its a 30 sec job but not trying myself with Carly or Inpa incase I brink the car

Local indy quoted me £100 to swap and reg for what is essentially a 5 mins job. I dread to think how much bmw would charge...if anyone has dealt with this before please share your insight.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Welcome to the pleasure that is owning a BMW, everything costs money and often it requires a main dealer.
I read this only yesterday in Honest John from the Daily Telegraph. Here is the link that they supplied:

bimmertips.com/bmw…ed/
I think halfords charge about £25
MonkeysUncle13/10/2019 08:55

I think halfords charge about £25

That's for fitting more than a basic one, ie stop/start one, not registering/coding.
Halfords batteries are normal way over priced, eurocarparts have 30% off codes every other weekend which make prices reasonable, id check that out if i were you
Thanks all. Will source battery from tayna and get garage to reg. Don't want to risk Halfords or Kwik fit.....
Assuming the car is stop start and the existing battery is agm make sure you replace with the same - on the forums there have been cases of exploding batteries when people just fit the cheapest possible battery and dont recode.

As i understand it the bmw alternators dont have a standard regulator any more and they have an ecu to control the battery charging.
Yesgo13/10/2019 11:47

Thanks all. Will source battery from tayna and get garage to reg. Don't …Thanks all. Will source battery from tayna and get garage to reg. Don't want to risk Halfords or Kwik fit.....

It you're ordering from Tayna try the code FACEBOOK45, it worked for me back in August, gave a small discount.
mas9913/10/2019 11:54

Assuming the car is stop start and the existing battery is agm make sure …Assuming the car is stop start and the existing battery is agm make sure you replace with the same - on the forums there have been cases of exploding batteries when people just fit the cheapest possible battery and dont recode.As i understand it the bmw alternators dont have a standard regulator any more and they have an ecu to control the battery charging.

Thanks for heads up. Yes its AGM and am going like for like with Varta which I prefer
Delbert.Grady13/10/2019 12:02

It you're ordering from Tayna try the code FACEBOOK45, it worked for me …It you're ordering from Tayna try the code FACEBOOK45, it worked for me back in August, gave a small discount.

Legend. Will give that a try and very generous of you for sharing thank you
Battery mega store were good to me when i ordered a varta for a disabled persons car, emailed proff of disablement and they took off 20% vat.
cmdr_elito13/10/2019 07:44

Welcome to the pleasure that is owning a BMW, everything costs money and …Welcome to the pleasure that is owning a BMW, everything costs money and often it requires a main dealer.

I didn't know Apple owned BMW
bozo00713/10/2019 16:42

I didn't know Apple owned BMW

If apple owned bmw you’d need a multitude of different adapters for everything.

Tyre valve adaptor
Stereo adapter
Keyless car fob adapter
Car aerial adaptor
Seat belt adaptor
Electric window adapter
Wing mirror adapter
AC adaptor

Not to mention find my car mode
Wireless speakers
Facial recognition start
Drive thru apple wallet
mas9913/10/2019 11:54

Assuming the car is stop start and the existing battery is agm make sure …Assuming the car is stop start and the existing battery is agm make sure you replace with the same - on the forums there have been cases of exploding batteries when people just fit the cheapest possible battery and dont recode.As i understand it the bmw alternators dont have a standard regulator any more and they have an ecu to control the battery charging.

Isn't the ECU doing the regulation pretty much standard for most new cars now, I'm sure I read fords have it handled by the ecu for some time. I've read about battery failures on fords where people fitted standard batteries, which can't handle the higher charging voltage of the more expensive silver calcium lead battery used in fords.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants