Expired

New Car - how much to pay?

15 replies
Found 7th Jun 2009
Hi all

I managed to prang my car yesterday, and as my girlfriend hated it anyway we're probably going to buy a new car that should last longer than my previous deathtraps.

We don't want to spend much and are looking at the bog standard fiat 500. As I live in the channel islands I don't need anything fast / expensive etc, plus, the garage involved normally offer £2,000 trade in.

Anywho, I've not bought a new car before and was wondering whether some people with some knowledge could advise what you think I should realistically aim to pay no more than. I could pay in cash or take credit with a large deposit. The list price is £8,300 and I quite fancy the stereo upgrade for £250. So that makes list price of £6,550.

Thanks for any advice!

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. New
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. New
15 Comments

If aircon is an option, make sure you buy it. No one will want a car without aircon these days. Likewise alloy wheels. Think of the resale.

Maybe an Idea to check prices on the mainland first as Garages are fighting over customers, could well save a packet for the price of a ferry ticket.

How old is ur car and how long have u had it, as u may qualify for the scrapage thing

Did somebody say my name???

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys,

There's no scrappage scheme over here, so thats out the window, but the 2k trade would do nicely - the car only has to make it to their forecourt if the insurers decide to fix it!

Air con is an additional 550 or something like that, alternatively I could buy the next model up which has it (£9,700 i think), but to be honest, although it may affect the resale value i think 550 is a fair amount to shell out when I personally am not bothered about using it.

Its been mentioned a lot though that you shouldn't pay the list price (ie the focus deal on a week or 2 ago), therefore, should how much should I try to negotiate the list price down? Alternatively, are they more likely to add a few extras for free (ie stereo system or air con) if I bargain with them?

Also(!), some people have told me that garages prefer finance deals because they make more out of it, so would I be better off laying down a hefty deopsit, taking a small amount of finance, and potentially getting some other extras?

With all due respect, the Channel Island market is slightly different to the UK market.

Stickland17;5426710

Thanks for the replies guys,There's no scrappage scheme over here, so … Thanks for the replies guys,There's no scrappage scheme over here, so thats out the window, but the 2k trade would do nicely - the car only has to make it to their forecourt if the insurers decide to fix it!Air con is an additional 550 or something like that, alternatively I could buy the next model up which has it (£9,700 i think), but to be honest, although it may affect the resale value i think 550 is a fair amount to shell out when I personally am not bothered about using it.Its been mentioned a lot though that you shouldn't pay the list price (ie the focus deal on a week or 2 ago), therefore, should how much should I try to negotiate the list price down? Alternatively, are they more likely to add a few extras for free (ie stereo system or air con) if I bargain with them?Also(!), some people have told me that garages prefer finance deals because they make more out of it, so would I be better off laying down a hefty deopsit, taking a small amount of finance, and potentially getting some other extras?

Original Poster

oh sorry, forgot to mention, I could make a trip to the mainland, see whats on offer etc, plus I could get the VAT off (I work as a tax accountant!).

However, I'm studying for the next couple of months and really dont have the time / stress levels to deal with going to the mainland, unless the saving was really quit substantial.

The main issue is that I would like to go to the garage with a deal in mind, and be able to say what I want without making some stupid offer that will make the salesman think I'm an idiot! Any figures/extras to argue for are much appreciated!

Original Poster

agree with you there pghstochaj, but I'm really just looking for some ball park figures.

Garages are definately keen to sell over here as well though, eg my friend got a new grande punto for 6k using her battered old car for 2k trade in.

Stickland17;5426765

agree with you there pghstochaj, but I'm really just looking for some … agree with you there pghstochaj, but I'm really just looking for some ball park figures. Garages are definately keen to sell over here as well though, eg my friend got a new grande punto for 6k using her battered old car for 2k trade in.

That will be far better experience than most will have on here - there is even a difference between the various Channel Islands.

Motorpoint have the 1.2 air con in stock try this link motorpoint.co.uk/(S(…1.2 Pop 3dr [AC]&body=Hatchback&fuel=Unleaded&type=0

I've got one of these and I love it! It is 9 weeks old now and it is a dream to drive! I have the Bosa Nova White with white and red interior and I love it. Everyone always comments on my car. You can also get 4 ppl in quite easily. I had myself and 3 guys all over 6ft in it (it was a bit of a sqeeze but not too bad). I would def recommend getting alloys. I bought the basic model, which was £8100 then. I thought I wouldn't mind not having alloys but I'm already saving up for them, esp now as I lost a wheel trim after about 5/6 weeks of having the car. I would also like air con and the sunroof but before you know it you'll be up at the more expensive model. The only thing I'd def recommend is the alloys, don't regret it like I did. I'm gonny have to buy 5 15 " tyres as well as alloys now! I thought I could just buy alloys if the wheel trims annoyed me but they only give you 14" wheels. The other thing is, it's nippy on rural roads but not great on dual carriageways/motorways, fine once you get going but takes an age to pick up speed.

If you get a gd deal with credit then take it. I'm paying only £110 a month for this car and I only had £1200 deposit. I also got them to spray the mirrors white, give me a full tank of petrol and mats. I also got a bouquet of flowers. If your paying cash at the dealers they should be able to give you a discount, maybe around £500 but try for 10%. They don't seem to give you much off for a cash purchase these days as they want to sell you credit.

Original Poster

thanks for that michelle, going to go up to the dealer over the next couple of days and see whats what!

Original Poster

ok so i tried the fiat, and absolutely loved it. Thing is, the car at the showroom is perfect, and the guy offered £8,000 with full tank of petrol and mats. Its the pop 1.2, retailing at £8,375 new.

How much lower do you think I should offer, or is this as good as it gets?

When I worked for Condor Ferries we used to ship cars from France to Jersey for re-sale, these were pre-registered cars with zero miles. I was under the impression that these were being sold as tax free cars, so it may be worth asking around locally and seeing who knows what goes on. One of my work former colleagues bought a Renault Megane Sport (RHD) for a massive discount.

Stickland17;5481729

ok so i tried the fiat, and absolutely loved it. Thing is, the car at … ok so i tried the fiat, and absolutely loved it. Thing is, the car at the showroom is perfect, and the guy offered £8,000 with full tank of petrol and mats. Its the pop 1.2, retailing at £8,375 new.How much lower do you think I should offer, or is this as good as it gets?

You've got to have some balls! Take someone with you that's not scared to say I want this, this and this as well. and take more money off the car. My bf is really good at this, he almost sometimes embarasses me., I'm like oh that seems ok, he's like no, we want more! He'll argue over the sake of like less than £100. As the guy who sold me my car said, I am not gonny loose a sale for sake of a few quid, so if that's what I have to do to get your business then I will. I would say could you do £7500. It's cash, it's a lot of money to pay and dealers are desperate so if you can't so it at that price maybe someone else can. At the end of the day you need to get the best deal for you so try not to be embarassed, they can only say no. If you get them down to around £7800 I think it would be quite a good deal. Try not to get car lust in the showroom.............difficult not to though. Be prepared to walk away though.....tell them you want to think about it. If they want your business they will come calling.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone else bored of video gaming3258
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769661
    3. Which wall design do you like best?1321
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428714680

See more discussions