Groups

New car purchase advice please

Looking for a new car.

Last few cars I have bought have been 1 yr-2yrs old.

Currently have an Astra, an Astra before that and a Polo before. Don't fancy another Astra as had a few issues with both.

Similar in size to Astra, not any bigger really.

Need 5 doors, have 2 young children and need space for 2 carseats in back.

Do around 6000 miles per yr.

Any recommendations welcome, or which ones to avoid?

Budget around £9000

Many thanks!

18 Comments

I got a brand new Seat Ibiza connect just over a year ago, great car, good deal on pcp, Volkswagen in disguise but much more bang for your buck, I would definitely recommend it.

Budget would be good to know. Theres alot of cars with 5 doors and plenty of rear space. Do you want a hatchback? A saloon? Estate? Happy with size you currently have? Motorway driving or inner city? All would be good to know. At 6000 miles you will most likely be better with a petrol.

itsme99p

I got a brand new Seat Ibiza connect just over a year ago, great car, … I got a brand new Seat Ibiza connect just over a year ago, great car, good deal on pcp, Volkswagen in disguise but much more bang for your buck, I would definitely recommend it.

​I highly doubt anyone would be happy going from an astra to an ibiza.

Original Poster

master10

Budget would be good to know. Theres alot of cars with 5 doors and plenty … Budget would be good to know. Theres alot of cars with 5 doors and plenty of rear space. Do you want a hatchback? A saloon? Estate? Happy with size you currently have? Motorway driving or inner city? All would be good to know. At 6000 miles you will most likely be better with a petrol.

Sorry, will edit above.... perfectly happy with Astra size, nothing bigger. Budget £9000 max

ellie27

Sorry, will edit above.... perfectly happy with Astra size, nothing … Sorry, will edit above.... perfectly happy with Astra size, nothing bigger. Budget £9000 max

​In that case I would highly recommend a Seat Leon. Similar size to an astra, economical and practical. 2 years old would probably be in your budget, I know 125bhp less than a year old are around 12000, its basically a golf in a seat badge and generally come with a fair bit of tech as standard. Not to mention drive very well.

Fiat tipo available for £189 a month large boot good rear legroom and generous standard kit.

If you want reliability then go Japanese. Dull but reliable. Toyota Auris would fit the bill.

I had a similar decision to make last year. My criteria and mileage were much the same as yours although I was looking to buy new. I ended up with a Polo, which I'm very happy with but the Mazda 2 & 3 were on the shortlist and I thought that the Hyundai i10 offered great value for money. I ruled out the Seat Ibiza and Skoda Fabia early on because at the time I could buy a new Polo for less than either of its stable mates through Drive the Deal.

Ford Focus or Honda Civic would be an obvious choice to me.
    Reliable and cheap to run and the newer ones are pretty well specced.

Dont bother looking at anything German or French
    French & Italian cars tend to be a mixed bag. You can get one thats super reliable, and you can get one thats utterly unreliable. Its luck of the draw (probably the day of the week it was made!)
    Many still rave about German cars but they have had their day now. Reliability is average at best and build quality is no better than any of the others. (Mass production took its toll on build quality some years ago). They are also on the pricey side both to buy and repair.

Banned

seat Leon are a decent size and they're good on fuel as well as they look good

Get an Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Should be able to get a decent one that fits your criteria.

118luke

Ford Focus or Honda Civic would be an obvious choice to me.Reliable and … Ford Focus or Honda Civic would be an obvious choice to me.Reliable and cheap to run and the newer ones are pretty well specced.Dont bother looking at anything German or FrenchFrench & Italian cars tend to be a mixed bag. You can get one thats super reliable, and you can get one thats utterly unreliable. Its luck of the draw (probably the day of the week it was made!)Many still rave about German cars but they have had their day now. Reliability is average at best and build quality is no better than any of the others. (Mass production took its toll on build quality some years ago). They are also on the pricey side both to buy and repair.

Yes german cars are definitley old hat terrible motors by all accounts. Who wants to be seen in an audi or a beemer when you could roll up in a ford focus lol.

From what you have said seat leom vw golf audi a3 would be your best option. New civic is a good shout

Avoid ford fiat vauxhall anything french etc if your buying 1-2 yr old as your initial layout will be pretty high and these will be worth about a tenner after 3 years lol

I have a 1.2 Leon. you can get a 2 year old for about 9&10k. 30 road tax and 45_50 a gallon. not the quickest but the weee turbo helps.
    all mod cons also

Kia and hyundai have very good reviews nowadays, well worth a luck.. But i would buy a 2-3 year old ford b-max, c-max or focus. I think you cant go far wrong with a ford. I know some will argue this but any car even rolls, mercs, bmw etc can have faults. Look to see if you can get an ex mobillity car, as they have been serviced every year.

cornishscouse

Kia and hyundai have very good reviews nowadays, well worth a luck.. But … Kia and hyundai have very good reviews nowadays, well worth a luck.. But i would buy a 2-3 year old ford b-max, c-max or focus. I think you cant go far wrong with a ford. I know some will argue this but any car even rolls, mercs, bmw etc can have faults. Look to see if you can get an ex mobillity car, as they have been serviced every year.

Check local car auction site for Motorbility sales, generally well spec'd, maintained and low mileage cars, which are just 3 years old, I bought a Meriva 6 years ago with only 9k miles on it and it was spotless.

we bought a 2 year old Kia picanto last month I can highly recommend them or even the bidder Kia ceed.
    They are bringing out a new version in the next few months also which looks nice
    and don't forget the 7 year warranty

Take a look at the Honda Civic, tries and tested. Comes with magic seats that fold flat but also fold up against the back. We bought a tourer last year. But get petrol, diesel is going get very expensive.

Mazda 3. Pretty stylish IMO. Good mix of performance and economy. Cheap road tax (£30)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Take notes with Apple Pencil and sync to a Samsung/Android device?11
      2. cheap glasses websites22
      3. Why do people scam on Gumtree?57
      4. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?3058

See more discussions