new career?

Found 3rd Jun
I'm bored with my job and want to train to do something completely different. thinking about locksmith or hgv driver. any advice from people doing these roles greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Join the fire service, you get to be a hgv driver and you also get to be a locksmith
36 Comments
Don't so HGV driver to many idiots on the road long hours and crappy pay for what you get
Agree with above HGV driver pay is increasingly reducing like van driver pay, it’s long hours and often requires weekend work.

Lock smithing is fine but it’s not that well paid and many people do their own locks now so less demand as it’s simple to replace barrels in locks.

I would suggest installing and servicing fire/burglar alarms for businesses/public, know a few people doing this earning good money.
cmdr_elito7 m ago

Agree with above HGV driver pay is increasingly reducing like van driver …Agree with above HGV driver pay is increasingly reducing like van driver pay, it’s long hours and often requires weekend work.Lock smithing is fine but it’s not that well paid and many people do their own locks now so less demand as it’s simple to replace barrels in locks.I would suggest installing and servicing fire/burglar alarms for businesses/public, know a few people doing this earning good money.

thanks, but not looking for any kind of engineer role....I'm fully gas safe trained just don't enjoy it
Edited by: "discozohan" 3rd Jun
if you are bored, i would have thought hgv driver would be a pretty boring job. we all get bored with our jobs, but i always count myself lucky to have a job at all when i am working.

what is your current job that bores you and why have you identified those two jobs as being of interest to you? if we can understand a little bit more about what bores you about your current job and what sort of things you would like to do, we may be able to suggest a new career for you
Edited by: "mutley1" 3rd Jun
mutley15 m ago

if you are bored, i would have thought hgv driver would be a pretty boring …if you are bored, i would have thought hgv driver would be a pretty boring job. we all get bored with our jobs, but i always count myself lucky to have a job at all when i am working.what is your current job that bores you and why have you identified those two jobs as being of interest to you? if we can understand a little bit more about what bores you about your current job and what sort of things you would like to do, we may be able to suggest a new career for you

I like driving that's why I thought hgv.... I know it sounds stupid but when I was a kid I always wanted to drive a huge Lorry. and the locksmith I think it's interesting role that you can take the skills anywhere
With self driving vehicles on the horizon, HGV drivers are at high risk of being replaced, you'll probably end up on minimum wage sat watching the lorry drive itself for a few years, then be made redundant once it's able to fully drive around cities and towns, or you could join a council as a bin lorry driver.
Dont know your age, but here's a few suggestions.
Royal Air Force, great life, training and great friends. If you have no ties, like family etc.
Tutor, teach other people the skills you have.
Driving instructor.
Pub landlord or manager.
Nurse, do E.D. work for a more exciting environment.
Ambulance paramedic, technician or emergency care assistant.
Ive done all the above except nursing. The last 21 years ive been in the ambulance service. Now though i do the patient transport side as im getting older and dont need all the rushing around, but still love the job.
Good luck in whatever you persue.
discozohan14 m ago

I like driving that's why I thought hgv.... I know it sounds stupid but …I like driving that's why I thought hgv.... I know it sounds stupid but when I was a kid I always wanted to drive a huge Lorry. and the locksmith I think it's interesting role that you can take the skills anywhere

i hate driving but each to their own. i know what you mean about wanting to do something since you were a kid, for me it was to work on the tills at the supermarket, lol

if you like driving and don't mind working unsociable hours, what about a bus driver? if i were to drive, i would enjoy working as a bus driver as then you get to interact with the public, but you may like to be on your own if you like the idea of driving a lorry.

i can't see the locksmith skill being applicable anywhere except for installing and uninstalling locks on doors, so pretty limited. i guess you may mean you could work any where in the country as a locksmith. locksmith works for themselves so at least you are self employed and that in itself can bring advantages, but it can also bring disadvantages being self employed.

if you like the idea of breaking into places, you could train as debt collector. they get paid very well and their jobs look very interesting when i watch those documentaries on the telly.
thanks for all the suggestions. think I should of put a bit more in the opening text. I'm an early retired copper...40 years old...retrained as a gas engineer ...been doing it for a few years but don't enjoy it. so it's a big no so far for HGV. got commitments so can't do long term training
If you’re a retired copper, how about re-training as a bailiff or prison warden?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 3rd Jun
You’ve obviously got a lot of skills that are second nature to you and I think there would be lots of new careers that you could apply yourself to easily, and having that career on your cv would be attractive to lots of employers.
Retired copper? Retrain as a spy or a private investigator. From gas engineering there is a logical progression to plumbing. Driving is tedious if you ask me, but you become a taxi driver or a fork lift truck driver of something where you aren't just sitting at the wheel for hours going up and down the A1. Another option might be scenes of crime officer
Bus driver. just a thought I done it for 20 years easy job only left because of the politics (heavy handed management).
discozohan31 m ago

thanks for all the suggestions. think I should of put a bit more in the …thanks for all the suggestions. think I should of put a bit more in the opening text. I'm an early retired copper...40 years old...retrained as a gas engineer ...been doing it for a few years but don't enjoy it. so it's a big no so far for HGV. got commitments so can't do long term training

so did you like being a copper? if you are used to that sort of career, i can see why a gas engineer would be too boring for you.

if you like driving, being a debt collector involves a lot of driving and finding people. you can also work as an ambulance driver, which would never be boring. i have an acquaintance who works as an ambulance driver and he seems to like his job.
mutley16 m ago

so did you like being a copper? if you are used to that sort of career, i …so did you like being a copper? if you are used to that sort of career, i can see why a gas engineer would be too boring for you.if you like driving, being a debt collector involves a lot of driving and finding people. you can also work as an ambulance driver, which would never be boring. i have an acquaintance who works as an ambulance driver and he seems to like his job.

I thought about that but don't you need to be a qualified paramedic? haven't got time to go through all that training, got a mortgage that needs paying
discozohan29 m ago

I thought about that but don't you need to be a qualified paramedic? …I thought about that but don't you need to be a qualified paramedic? haven't got time to go through all that training, got a mortgage that needs paying

the guy that i know is not a trained paramedic. he only drives the ambulance. you can get a job with the NHS where you only drive the ambulance. you also get great benefits working for the NHS, like a public sector pension, which is of great monetary value, similar to your police force pension.
Join the fire service, you get to be a hgv driver and you also get to be a locksmith
What about bus driver or coach driver. The company will train you, it's relatively warm and dry. Varied, meet lots of people. Pay is OK (not rockafeller but well above minimum wage). I dropped 10k pa to become a bus driver, I'm now a coach driver and I love it. Money isn't everything.
mutley17 m ago

the guy that i know is not a trained paramedic. he only drives the …the guy that i know is not a trained paramedic. he only drives the ambulance. you can get a job with the NHS where you only drive the ambulance. you also get great benefits working for the NHS, like a public sector pension, which is of great monetary value, similar to your police force pension.

thanks....I'll look into that
discozohan1 m ago

he was a waiter before he got the job as an ambulance driver with the NHS so he didn't have to do much training
mrty3 m ago

What about bus driver or coach driver. The company will train you, it's …What about bus driver or coach driver. The company will train you, it's relatively warm and dry. Varied, meet lots of people. Pay is OK (not rockafeller but well above minimum wage). I dropped 10k pa to become a bus driver, I'm now a coach driver and I love it. Money isn't everything.

thanks. did think about bus driving but people put me off. agree money isn't everything and certainly something I'll look into
i wouldnt be a bus driver, people talk behind your back........taxi for ding
My son-in-law is a London ambulance driver, before that he worked in Early Learning Centre just as an assistant (not as a manager), as far as I know he has no medical qualifications and has worked his way up with on the job training and inhouse training taking anywhere from a one week course to 3 months, he still got his weekly salary and any training was provided by the ambulance service.
I don’t often see him otherwise I would find out how to apply etc. I think he earns around £40k+with overtime.
On a serious note, mI5 are recruiting, saw an advert and kept it as my son was interested.
Pay isn’t terrific but think of those Bond girls, full and part-time opportunities £26k+
to apply, visit mi5.gov.uk/car…ers
If you can hide in plain sight then you’re halfway there!
p.s. they’re looking for ALL age groups, drivers, Surveillance officers etc..
mutley158 m ago

the guy that i know is not a trained paramedic. he only drives the …the guy that i know is not a trained paramedic. he only drives the ambulance. you can get a job with the NHS where you only drive the ambulance. you also get great benefits working for the NHS, like a public sector pension, which is of great monetary value, similar to your police force pension.

I was an emergency care assistant, (ECA) I think its around 8 weeks to train now, you are basically the paramedics asst. You will be trained in all first aid, trauma care, some drugs like oxygen and entonox, basic life support, etc, and blue light driving ( which is around 3 weeks of the course) as i said earlier ive done 21 years and now and love the job. I do the patient transport side now but most areas have tendered these out to private companies to save money, but ut does not save , it costs more as most go bust or sell up.
Toptrumpet14 m ago

On a serious note, mI5 are recruiting, saw an advert and kept it as my son …On a serious note, mI5 are recruiting, saw an advert and kept it as my son was interested. Pay isn’t terrific but think of those Bond girls, full and part-time opportunities £26k+to apply, visit www.mi5.gov.uk/careersIf you can hide in plain sight then you’re halfway there!p.s. they’re looking for ALL age groups, drivers, Surveillance officers etc..

I'd love too....but got a young family.....and if I remember correctly they need you to be degree educated
You don’t need a degree, you’re forgetting about all those skills you’ve learnt. Why not just register your interest and see what happens. Just remember, with all the recent abhorrent terrorists attacks and foiled plots, mi5 need operatives in the UK.
You need to have more faith in yourself and your abilities, Good God man, you’re only 40, that’s hardly one foot in the grave!
I know a lot of ex coppers who joined Northern Rail as train drivers and conductors. They all seemed to like the change when I worked there.
thank you all for your input... given me some great suggestions
jjmmww14 h, 6 m ago

Don't so HGV driver to many idiots on the road long hours and crappy pay …Don't so HGV driver to many idiots on the road long hours and crappy pay for what you get

cmdr_elito3 h, 43 m ago

Agree with above HGV driver pay is increasingly reducing like van driver …Agree with above HGV driver pay is increasingly reducing like van driver pay, it’s long hours and often requires weekend work.Lock smithing is fine but it’s not that well paid and many people do their own locks now so less demand as it’s simple to replace barrels in locks.I would suggest installing and servicing fire/burglar alarms for businesses/public, know a few people doing this earning good money.

I work in retail and know that some DHL drivers get £40-50k for working 4 days a week. Is that considered crappy with all things considered? Not being funny, it could be a very hard job and long hours on the days you do work etc, just curious.
discozohan2 h, 1 m ago

As stated you could be patient transport or emergency care assistant or an ambulance technician. I don't think any of them require a degree or anything like and it used to be the way that you could advance to be a paramedic from a technician, but not anymore. Mum was a patient transport worker and the amount of holiday she used to get was crazy. Pay was rather crap tho.
MIDURIX37 m ago

I work in retail and know that some DHL drivers get £40-50k for working 4 …I work in retail and know that some DHL drivers get £40-50k for working 4 days a week. Is that considered crappy with all things considered? Not being funny, it could be a very hard job and long hours on the days you do work etc, just curious.

Those DHL tanker well paid jobs are gradually having pay reduced as new people come in and the ones on that money leave as being quite frank there’s a large pool of experienced drivers out there who will do the same job for less.
If your into driving, get your pcv licence. Do coach work, avoid service work like the plague lol. Coach work will take you up and down the country, see nice places, people are generally more happier, and you get good tips on top of a decent income. Avoid the hgv, there isn't a shortage of drivers like they make out, and no one will touch you without experience, unless it's an agency. F that
STRICKIBHOY55 m ago

If your into driving, get your pcv licence. Do coach work, avoid service …If your into driving, get your pcv licence. Do coach work, avoid service work like the plague lol. Coach work will take you up and down the country, see nice places, people are generally more happier, and you get good tips on top of a decent income. Avoid the hgv, there isn't a shortage of drivers like they make out, and no one will touch you without experience, unless it's an agency. F that

I know this is anecdotal evidence but a friend of mine just got taken on by DHL with no experience and he found out about the job because DHL deliver to the shops he works at. So not completely impossible.
SerpentSuicide5 h, 12 m ago

I know a lot of ex coppers who joined Northern Rail as train drivers and …I know a lot of ex coppers who joined Northern Rail as train drivers and conductors. They all seemed to like the change when I worked there.

Is that why my trains keep getting cancelled for missing staff? They're all undercover and Northern Fail can't find them...
dcx_badass30 m ago

Is that why my trains keep getting cancelled for missing staff? They're …Is that why my trains keep getting cancelled for missing staff? They're all undercover and Northern Fail can't find them...

Wouldn’t surprise me, there was a lot of weird people that worked there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions