New cars + servicing

Found 2nd Aug 2017
Just wondering if new cars MUST get serviced. I know they don't require MOT in first 3 years, is it because they require a service instead?
Does the service need to be carriers out by the retailer the car was purchased from?
Just asking as car is now a year old and die its first service (apparently) the garage it was purchased from phoned to arranged however it's going to cost £300 before any work this year and £500 before any work the next 2 years according to them. They did state for the next 2 I could opt to pay in advance monthly which would reduce the cost by appx 100.
I'm not sure as have never previously owned a new car. Someone mentioned somewherr that some new cars have a service light in the car and it'll come in and "stop" the vehicle until it is service.
Would appreciate advice.
Feel a little irritated I hadn't known about this previously as an MOT and repairs in an old car would have probably been cheaper!!

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
15 Comments

Hey what car have you got, I can't help you much but looking for similar advice.. also a first time car owner.

Was your car bought BRAND NEW? And after a year needs work doing to it?

£300 sounds is a lot for servicing depends on what car you have I guess

I got my car in 2016 and was 3 years old. Only had 3,000 miles on it. And was serviced when I got it. As I have already done just under 12,000 this year - They usually say every year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first - Been quoted around £140 for an 'Intermediate' service. You can go to any garage, doesn't have to be done by the retailer from where the car was purchased from
Edited by: "Tiddly_fiddly" 2nd Aug 2017

new cars need serviced to keep the warranty intact but this does not have to be done at the dealership you bought the car from,just go to your local garage.

its usually around half the price your dealership quoted at a local garage
Edited by: "jamstaruk1972" 2nd Aug 2017

As jammy said you need to have a car serviced as per the manufacturers recommendation in order to keep the warranty valid (which will be 3-7 years depending upon the car). Service intervals are normally 10/12k miles or 12 months - again depending upon the car. Even after the car is 12 months old it will still need servicing - oil and various filter changes.

The first service will be an extensive inspection and probably just an oil and oil filter change. It is very rare that you have to pay for any repairs on a 12 month old car.

To maintain the warranty the service has to use geniune manufacturer parts (in case of oil a grade specified by the manufacturer) and carrried out by a VAT registered garage. You will need to get the service book stamped and keep the recipts.

Services at main dealers are totally overcharged - there is very little work involved but you will pay something like £130-£200 for the first service and £50 or so pound more for the second as they may change other filters as well (air/pollen).

I've always negotiated with the dealer and got them to carry out the service as I did not want to risk the warranty for the sake of a £30-40 saving and then when out of warranty service the cars myself - it is very easy if you do some basic research and have the appropriate tools.

£300 does seem very excessive for the first service - I assume you must have a 4x4 or a merc?

new cars must be serviced in order for you to have warranty (usually 3 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first).
if you are opting out to have it serviced at an indie garage make sure your warranty T&C allow to do this (eg often parts must be genuine etc..)

Make sure you service it as per manufacturers instructions. This can usually be done at other garages so shop around. It wouldn't stop working if you ignored the service light. Only time it would prevent running is if it was Euro 6 and you ran out of adblue. Usually that's topped up during servicing and you get reminders when it's running out.

Original Poster

Van197348 m ago

As jammy said you need to have a car serviced as per the manufacturers …As jammy said you need to have a car serviced as per the manufacturers recommendation in order to keep the warranty valid (which will be 3-7 years depending upon the car). Service intervals are normally 10/12k miles or 12 months - again depending upon the car. Even after the car is 12 months old it will still need servicing - oil and various filter changes.The first service will be an extensive inspection and probably just an oil and oil filter change. It is very rare that you have to pay for any repairs on a 12 month old car.To maintain the warranty the service has to use geniune manufacturer parts (in case of oil a grade specified by the manufacturer) and carrried out by a VAT registered garage. You will need to get the service book stamped and keep the recipts.Services at main dealers are totally overcharged - there is very little work involved but you will pay something like £130-£200 for the first service and £50 or so pound more for the second as they may change other filters as well (air/pollen).I've always negotiated with the dealer and got them to carry out the service as I did not want to risk the warranty for the sake of a £30-40 saving and then when out of warranty service the cars myself - it is very easy if you do some basic research and have the appropriate tools.£300 does seem very excessive for the first service - I assume you must have a 4x4 or a merc?

Haha I have a corsa
I guess they are just inflating the price to try and get people to take the pay monthly package.
I
It's 16 plate was purchased new this will be its first service. Hadn't done enough miles to warrant service but it's 12 months or X miles, whatever comes first.
Will check the warranty book properly but guessing it says must be done by a vauxhall garage

little_green4 m ago

Haha I have a corsa I guess they are just inflating the price to …Haha I have a corsa I guess they are just inflating the price to try and get people to take the pay monthly package.IIt's 16 plate was purchased new this will be its first service. Hadn't done enough miles to warrant service but it's 12 months or X miles, whatever comes first.Will check the warranty book properly but guessing it says must be done by a vauxhall garage

£300 to service a Corsa

If you know of one, a decent independant garage is the way to go.

Pm me your reg num and il tell you exactly what it gets for first service and how much it should be

I'd shop around at different Vauxhall garages. I know my missus' new Fords first service cost ranged from £120 to £250 from different main dealers in a 15 mile radius. All were going to do exactly the same work

They are certainly taking the "Michael" asking £300 for the first service and £500 for the second - I assume you are young and female and are trying it on! Really is disgusting! Yes, 12k or 12 months - whichever comes soonest.

You should be paying no more than £150 for the first service - I would ring around all Vauxhall dealers in your area and ask for a price - to each say "oh, I was expecting much lower than that and that I'll just leave and try somewhere else" - see which ones may offer you a better price.

Nothing wrong at all with a good independent garage (if you know of one) but simpler if you ever need to use the warranty if serviced by Vauxhall. Even Halfaaords Autocentres would do a service for £155 - if you can't find anywhere else (not that I am recommending them - but better than paying £300).

I would not recommend a Service Plan - just pay for a service whenever you need one is the cheapest way to do it!

Tiddly_fiddly4 h, 43 m ago

Hey what car have you got, I can't help you much but looking for similar …Hey what car have you got, I can't help you much but looking for similar advice.. also a first time car owner.Was your car bought BRAND NEW? And after a year needs work doing to it? £300 sounds is a lot for servicing depends on what car you have I guessI got my car in 2016 and was 3 years old. Only had 3,000 miles on it. And was serviced when I got it. As I have already done just under 12,000 this year - They usually say every year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first - Been quoted around £140 for an 'Intermediate' service. You can go to any garage, doesn't have to be done by the retailer from where the car was purchased from

£140 for an oil + filter change is expensive , may want to shop around.

Van197320 m ago

They are certainly taking the "Michael" asking £300 for the first service …They are certainly taking the "Michael" asking £300 for the first service and £500 for the second - I assume you are young and female and are trying it on! Really is disgusting! Yes, 12k or 12 months - whichever comes soonest.You should be paying no more than £150 for the first service - I would ring around all Vauxhall dealers in your area and ask for a price - to each say "oh, I was expecting much lower than that and that I'll just leave and try somewhere else" - see which ones may offer you a better price.Nothing wrong at all with a good independent garage (if you know of one) but simpler if you ever need to use the warranty if serviced by Vauxhall. Even Halfaaords Autocentres would do a service for £155 - if you can't find anywhere else (not that I am recommending them - but better than paying £300).I would not recommend a Service Plan - just pay for a service whenever you need one is the cheapest way to do it!

£150 for an oil + filter change and a quick visual is still too much for a first service.

Servicing is a rip off and all garages do the bear minimum which is usually just an oil change but charge upwards of £130 for that.
Edited by: "cliosport65" 2nd Aug 2017

cliosport657 m ago

£150 for an oil + filter change and a quick visual is still too much for a …£150 for an oil + filter change and a quick visual is still too much for a first service.Servicing is a rip off and all garages do the bear minimum which is usually just an oil change but charge upwards of £130 for that.

Prices vary a lot! £150 was for oil and filter change and other check which is still a lot of money. Its actually working out cheaper for me to travel to Leicester from Horsham and get the exact thing done for less than half the price! Garage prices are ridiculous where I live

Tiddly_fiddly10 m ago

Prices vary a lot! £150 was for oil and filter change and other check …Prices vary a lot! £150 was for oil and filter change and other check which is still a lot of money. Its actually working out cheaper for me to travel to Leicester from Horsham and get the exact thing done for less than half the price! Garage prices are ridiculous where I live

Yeah I agree, them stamps in the book mean everything lol

Interestingly enough you raise a fair point I'm in Kent and if I drive to the outside of London the servicing at garages there is a lot cheaper.

The manual specifies the service schedule items and intervals, so any garage should be able to service accordingly
Post a comment
@
    Text