New combi boiler only (no installation)

Found 26th Jul
We are undergoing house refurbishment and looking to change our boiler. Our builder will do the boiler installation. Can you suggest how to look for combi boiler? Which one to select and where to get best offer ?

Thanks a lot
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
When I bought mine about 7 years ago I spent many hours on Ebay finding the best value for money for my size of house and then I went out and picked it up. The whole process of purchase, installation and certification came to under £1K, although I was friendly with the plummer.
Personal preference in home and rental properties is Worcester Bosch after experience of lesser brands. The tech dept will guide you through the sizing or there is an online tool. And then look online for a bargain

Basic CH sums are 3k per living room or bathroom or hallway and 1,5k per bedroom. Large lounge with 2 big rads = 2 x 3k and so on.

If you have rads in already, you cam reverse engineer the values by measuring the rads and looking on screwfix or toolstation
Edited by: "ccnp" 26th Jul
Check the builder is gas safe registered for him to install it legally.
LOL, the builder installing the boiler? I take it he'll be able to self certify the installation with building control as he'll be Gas Safe registered, ask him for his registration number so you can check on the Gas safe website.

Personally wouldn't recommend WB as they're very unreliable these days, not like they used to be, full of plastic and rubber parts whereas better boilers are made using brass and copper. The only thing WB are good at is advertising!
Cheapest place I could find was directheatingsupplies.co.uk - Travis Perkins is also worth checking for prices - Worcester Bosche is the brand everyone recommends and what I went for.
paulj4853 m ago

Personally wouldn't recommend WB as they're very unreliable these days, …Personally wouldn't recommend WB as they're very unreliable these days, not like they used to be, full of plastic and rubber parts whereas better boilers are made using brass and copper. The only thing WB are good at is advertising!

Thanks for warning me. As I say, I've only got experience of actual installed WB units to go by (6 in all) so your opinion is valued

You might want to update Which? on the results of their tests (Best Buys in every category but what would they know with their test procedures developed over decades)
Get the make and model of the current one then look for models with a comparable output.
You'll need a gas registered plumber anyway do get one lined up and get them to quote for a boiler and the work as well as just for the work.
Depending on the age and current setup you might a few new bits and pieces along side the boiler itself.
sorry people, just to clarify... builder himself wont do it but he knows someone who can do it.. what I meant is installer will be arranged by builder
ccnp20 m ago

Thanks for warning me. As I say, I've only got experience of actual …Thanks for warning me. As I say, I've only got experience of actual installed WB units to go by (6 in all) so your opinion is valuedYou might want to update Which? on the results of their tests (Best Buys in every category but what would they know with their test procedures developed over decades)

Do you have a Which sub then as I can’t see what they’re recommending as that information is for paying customers only, can you advise what they recommend?.
My understanding is that anyone can install the boiler and connecting Water pipes (Majority) and the rads if required.
The Gas Safe installer is required to connect the gas up, and check the flue, nothing more or nothing less.

Get a boiler on Ebay, get the builder to install, or yourself.
Get a Gas Safe fitter to connect the Gas up to it and check/sign it off.
Chiptivo40 m ago

My understanding is that anyone can install the boiler and connecting …My understanding is that anyone can install the boiler and connecting Water pipes (Majority) and the rads if required. The Gas Safe installer is required to connect the gas up, and check the flue, nothing more or nothing less. Get a boiler on Ebay, get the builder to install, or yourself. Get a Gas Safe fitter to connect the Gas up to it and check/sign it off.

Not really correct, if the registered Gas Safe engineer has not physically screwed the boiler to the wall himself then how can he confirm it’s not going to fall off 2 weeks down the line?

Youd be hard pressed to find someone prepared to register the install with Building control without doing the full install
It's part of the inspection.
Plenty out there.

If you are paying more than £1000 for supply, fitting and sign off of a boiler, you are getting ripped off.
Chiptivo1 h, 22 m ago

It's part of the inspection. Plenty out there. If you are paying more than …It's part of the inspection. Plenty out there. If you are paying more than £1000 for supply, fitting and sign off of a boiler, you are getting ripped off.

Combi for £1k fitted? You’re having a laugh .
paulj4856 m ago

paulj4856 m ago

Deffo, and I'd expect lots of change.

262497576867 ebay is £450 for a brand new boiler inc flue, there are cheaper and dearer.
Knocking it on a wall connecting the pipework and gas, commissioning ill take a day max.
At a daily labour rate of £200 max, it is as cheap as that.
Paperwork and Building Regs will still keep it under £1000 if you get the stuff from ebay yourself and have a decently friend who is gas safe registered.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 26th Jul
Vaillant 7 years parts and labour cover, speak to your installer, he should be able to supply corgi qualified fitting and get the 7 year cover.

Your builder should not be doing the installation (obviously) if he is not 'Gas Safe' registered, the regulations change regularly and requires high level of professionalism and qualification.
Edited by: "davewave" 27th Jul
Chiptivo1 h, 30 m ago

Deffo, and I'd expect lots of change. 262497576867 ebay is £450 for a …Deffo, and I'd expect lots of change. 262497576867 ebay is £450 for a brand new boiler inc flue, there are cheaper and dearer.Knocking it on a wall connecting the pipework and gas, commissioning ill take a day max. At a daily labour rate of £200 max, it is as cheap as that.Paperwork and Building Regs will still keep it under £1000 if you get the stuff from ebay yourself and have a decently friend who is gas safe registered.

You have a Gas Safe friend who recommends Vokera boilers?
dhanepud5 h, 7 m ago

sorry people, just to clarify... builder himself wont do it but he knows …sorry people, just to clarify... builder himself wont do it but he knows someone who can do it.. what I meant is installer will be arranged by builder

Ask the builder to have the installer come have a chat with you.

Find out which boilers he normally fits, nothing worse than buying parts for an installer for there to be problems during install, which are invariably your fault for picking a unit he's unfamiliar with, he may even pick it up cheaper than you can, or will give you a reputable source.
Edited by: "andynicol" 26th Jul
Chiptivo4 h, 11 m ago

It's part of the inspection. Plenty out there. If you are paying more than …It's part of the inspection. Plenty out there. If you are paying more than £1000 for supply, fitting and sign off of a boiler, you are getting ripped off.

It’s about 2k in most places and about 1.6k around here (SW England)
cmdr_elito2 h, 35 m ago

It’s about 2k in most places and about 1.6k around here (SW England)

I’d agree with that, once you add a half to a full day for a power/chemical flush to comply with BS:7593, add a magnetic filter and don’t forget you now need to comply with the new ‘Boiler Plus’ regs that adds extra components (smart control, load compensation or weather sensor etc.).
So what’s the bottom line? Where to find best deals for boiler?
dhanepud57 m ago

So what’s the bottom line? Where to find best deals for boiler?

Personally I’d say why are you trying to cut corners when your obviously spending money refurbish and whilst employing a builder?

Get a few plumbers to quote, get them to do a heat loss calculation and recommend a bolier based on that calculation.

My recommendation of Combi boiler manufacturer is Intergass, less moving parts than a normal bolier so more reliable, they have no diverted valve, diverted valve motor, auto air vent or small plate secondary heat exchanger (these are all the most common parts to fail, especially in hard water areas) Intergas also come with a 10 year manufacturers warranty.
davewave12 h, 57 m ago

Vaillant 7 years parts and labour cover, speak to your installer, he …Vaillant 7 years parts and labour cover, speak to your installer, he should be able to supply corgi qualified fitting and get the 7 year cover.Your builder should not be doing the installation (obviously) if he is not corgi registered, the regulations change regularly and requires high level of professionalism and qualification.

Corgi? that organisation stopped almost 10 years ago, LOL
paulj483 m ago

Corgi? that organisation stopped almost 10 years ago, LOL

oh yes, many apologies 'Gas Safe Register' similar thing.
Chiptivo26th Jul

Haha you must be mad!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants