Expired

New Credit Card after Mortgage Offer Received?

Found 14th Oct 2014
I have just bought a house and the mortgage offer has been made and accepted.
I have also exchanged contracts and just waiting for completion, however I will need to get carpets, and kitchen appliances for when I get the keys.

I have seen a few deals for 0% interest credit cards on purchases, my question is, is it ok to now apply for a new credit card so that I can enjoy 0% for over 12 months for bits and pieces that I need or should I wait until I have the keys in my hand to apply for the new card.

With the mortgage been offered and contracts exchanged will they do a further credit check before releasing the money?
Community Updates
10 Comments
No problem.
You have nothing to worry about.
Cool!
Interest free, deferred 12 months payment and 10% off for first time customers. Usually have some good deals on electrical: very.co.uk/
dereklogan7

Interest free, deferred 12 months payment and 10% off for first time … Interest free, deferred 12 months payment and 10% off for first time customers. Usually have some good deals on electrical: http://www.very.co.uk/

Thanks, will check them out. Don't currently have an account with them so could be good for the deferred payment and also 10% off!
dereklogan7

No problem.

Not true!!!! I'm in the same position. Some lenders WILL credit check you just before completion. Whatever anyone else tells you, it's a FACT!
andyb83

Not true!!!! I'm in the same position. Some lenders WILL credit check you … Not true!!!! I'm in the same position. Some lenders WILL credit check you just before completion. Whatever anyone else tells you, it's a FACT!

All Mortgage lenders will do a Bankruptcy search the day before/of completion, but most will not do another credit search as the applicant has already been underwritten and it can take up to a month for any new details to be added to the credit reference agencies.

OP if your concerned, wait until he day of completion then apply, the Mtg wont bee showing on your credit report at the time you apply.
paul1005

All Mortgage lenders will do a Bankruptcy search the day before/of … All Mortgage lenders will do a Bankruptcy search the day before/of completion, but most will not do another credit search as the applicant has already been underwritten and it can take up to a month for any new details to be added to the credit reference agencies.OP if your concerned, wait until he day of completion then apply, the Mtg wont bee showing on your credit report at the time you apply.

My wife is an estate agent and has seen last minute credit checks scupper people in the past. Halifax do it regularly. An independant MA will confirm this.
andyb83

Not true!!!! I'm in the same position. Some lenders WILL credit check you … Not true!!!! I'm in the same position. Some lenders WILL credit check you just before completion. Whatever anyone else tells you, it's a FACT!

i would tend to agree.
Another good Credit card is the Santander 123. 18 months interest free, 1% cashback on your supermarket shopping, 2% at Department stores and 3% on petrol and train travel. It has a £24 annual fee but this can be negated by using the card appropriately. If you have a 123 account you get it free for the first 12 months.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions