New Day Credit Cards?

Posted 6th Oct
Hi,

Looking at the Amazon one at the moment as the one I have with MBNA is awful.

The reviews are a bit worrying though. Anyone had bad experiences? Thanks
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

34 Comments
Had one for over a year now, not really had any issues apart from the app design being pretty dreadful. They have updated it recently so it looks and has a much better functionality. I recycle it mainly for amazon points and pay off using virgin atlantic via curve
interested to hear why you think MBNA are awful

i had a newday card a few years back and never had an issue, although the standard interest rates are generally a bit higher than most
Also have a card, not had a problem. Use it as my back up card for places that won't take Amex as well as on Amazon.

Points collection rate is not particularly generous but better than nothing!

I find the app (on Android) OK.
Van197306/10/2019 17:41

Also have a card, not had a problem. Use it as my back up card for places …Also have a card, not had a problem. Use it as my back up card for places that won't take Amex as well as on Amazon. Points collection rate is not particularly generous but better than nothing!I find the app (on Android) OK.

Great so no issues with services?
I have the Amazon card and not bother. It seems to have a fairly high interest but I pay it off each month, Amazon point are a bonus bit takes a while to get anything
Just ordered one last week coincidentally, Received the pin yesterday but not the card itself yet. Honestly got it just for the £20 Amazon voucher incentive will likely the cancel at the first opportunity.
Edited by: "Jayswa" 6th Oct
New Day, the go-to card provider for the low wage and/or bad credit score brigade.

No doubt saying that will rub many up the wrong way but it's the truth, after Provident who own Vanquis New Day are as shark like as it gets I would say.
SpeakEnglish06/10/2019 20:09

New Day, the go-to card provider for the low wage and/or bad credit score …New Day, the go-to card provider for the low wage and/or bad credit score brigade.No doubt saying that will rub many up the wrong way but it's the truth, after Provident who own Vanquis New Day are as shark like as it gets I would say.

To be fair they are more of a credit building card, some of there offers can be quite good, for instance, AQUA Card has 2 one that starts at 34.9% APR but each year for a maximum of three years as long as you run your account good with minimum repayments and no missed payments they will reduce the APR by 5% each year so by the 3rd year you should have a good credit history with the card and a card with an APR of 19.9%,

I personally think that is a good way for people to build credit.. they also offer decent limits if you run it right.

They also offer a card that is pretty much a Halifax Clarity credit card albeit a high APR but no foreign transactions fees or charges.

NEWDAY also do ALOT of store based credit cards.
38619253-cQRl0.jpg
Jayswa06/10/2019 19:48

Just ordered one last week coincidentally, Received the pin yesterday but …Just ordered one last week coincidentally, Received the pin yesterday but not the card itself yet. Honestly got it just for the £20 Amazon voucher incentive will likely the cancel at the first opportunity.

You added to your credit score for £20?!
Surely you would pick a new credit card based on their promotional offer i.e 0% balance transfer/purchases for xx months.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th Oct
Thanks everyone. I rarely use a credit card but keep it for online purchases, which is a smart thing to do.
MrSprkle06/10/2019 23:14

To be fair they are more of a credit building card, some of there offers …To be fair they are more of a credit building card, some of there offers can be quite good, for instance, AQUA Card has 2 one that starts at 34.9% APR but each year for a maximum of three years as long as you run your account good with minimum repayments and no missed payments they will reduce the APR by 5% each year so by the 3rd year you should have a good credit history with the card and a card with an APR of 19.9%,I personally think that is a good way for people to build credit.. they also offer decent limits if you run it right.They also offer a card that is pretty much a Halifax Clarity credit card albeit a high APR but no foreign transactions fees or charges.NEWDAY also do ALOT of store based credit cards.[Image]

Yeah I had one for fee free foreign transactions a few years ago and same as the other fella I took one for a very short period to get the voucher from Amazon(free money is free money) so I have owned a couple but never contemplated using either as a day to day card because they don’t give you enough for using it unlike our JL MasterCard and I just deem them a bit scratchy for want of a better word whilst you use the term credit building.

superfreddy06/10/2019 23:19

You added to your credit score for £20?!

So did I during the summer because as I said above free money is free money but it didn’t have any negative effect in me acquiring a Nat West MasterCard with 25 months 0%+0% balance transfer fee with a limit of around 7 grand and an MBNA MasterCard with 26 months 0%+1% balance transfer with a £5600 limit over the last month or so to transfer the cost of a couple of big ticket items I bought on our day to day JL MasterCard which I pay in full every month.

This clearly proves a person must have a pretty suspect credit rating in the first place for it to take a negative hit from you applying for a card to garner a free introductory offer and then cancelling it.

Like an idiot I even got an HSBC balance transfer card before the MBNA one and they gave me an 8 grand limit, just when I rang them to transfer the balance the fella pointed out they operate the JL card too so a balance transfer was not possible.
Thus I had to cancel that and went for the MBNA one online the moment I put the phone down so even with that no dramas, never mind getting penalised for having had a ropey New Day card for a couple of weeks a few months back.
RiverDragon807/10/2019 00:04

Surely you would pick a new credit card based on their promotional offer …Surely you would pick a new credit card based on their promotional offer i.e 0% balance transfer/purchases for xx months.

Some people are a high risk hence rather being able to pick the offers or points based cards they are looking for something to just build their credit, enter companies like Newday, Capital One, Vanquiss etc..
If you buy a lot on Amazon and you pay your card in full each month it's worth getting, you earn the equivalent of 0.75% in Amazon reward vouchers on all purchases (although they only pay our when you reach £10). If you have Amazon Prime and pay off each month it's a no brainer as you get the equivalent of 1.5% in vouchers on all Amazon purchases. Purchases anywhere else are 0.25%.

No issues with the quality of service as far as I'm concerned.
Edited by: "spoo" 7th Oct
adamspencer9506/10/2019 17:32

interested to hear why you think MBNA are awfuli had a newday card a few …interested to hear why you think MBNA are awfuli had a newday card a few years back and never had an issue, although the standard interest rates are generally a bit higher than most

You can only make one payment every 24 hours. Bad for me as I like to pay off each transaction I've done so I can keep track of things.

You can't see previous payments you have made by card straight away like you used to either.
SpeakEnglish07/10/2019 09:24

Yeah I had one for fee free foreign transactions a few years ago and same …Yeah I had one for fee free foreign transactions a few years ago and same as the other fella I took one for a very short period to get the voucher from Amazon(free money is free money) so I have owned a couple but never contemplated using either as a day to day card because they don’t give you enough for using it unlike our JL MasterCard and I just deem them a bit scratchy for want of a better word whilst you use the term credit building.So did I during the summer because as I said above free money is free money but it didn’t have any negative effect in me acquiring a Nat West MasterCard with 25 months 0%+0% balance transfer fee with a limit of around 7 grand and an MBNA MasterCard with 26 months 0%+1% balance transfer with a £5600 limit over the last month or so to transfer the cost of a couple of big ticket items I bought on our day to day JL MasterCard which I pay in full every month.This clearly proves a person must have a pretty suspect credit rating in the first place for it to take a negative hit from you applying for a card to garner a free introductory offer and then cancelling it.Like an idiot I even got an HSBC balance transfer card before the MBNA one and they gave me an 8 grand limit, just when I rang them to transfer the balance the fella pointed out they operate the JL card too so a balance transfer was not possible. Thus I had to cancel that and went for the MBNA one online the moment I put the phone down so even with that no dramas, never mind getting penalised for having had a ropey New Day card for a couple of weeks a few months back.

Did you keep the Amazon card open then? And just not use it?
spoo07/10/2019 10:22

If you buy a lot on Amazon and you pay your card in full each month it's …If you buy a lot on Amazon and you pay your card in full each month it's worth getting, you earn the equivalent of 0.75% in Amazon reward vouchers on all purchases (although they only pay our when you reach £10). If you have Amazon Prime and pay off each month it's a no brainer as you get the equivalent of 1.5% in vouchers on all Amazon purchases. Purchases anywhere else are 0.25%.No issues with the quality of service as far as I'm concerned.

JL MatserCard give you 0.5% on all purchases and 1% on JL/Waitrose purchases with fairly regular regular double points events too.

I believe there are a couple of Amex cards that give you a really generous deal on all spending for a few months on cashback or vouchers and then something along the same lines as JL but there's also an annual fee so you have to do the maths yourself about what works out better for you individually.
For us, we got a Partner in the household so getting our loyalty dough paid in JL vouchers is all the more beneficial.

superfreddy07/10/2019 10:30

Did you keep the Amazon card open then? And just not use it?

I shut it down the second I got the credit on my Amazon account mate.
SpeakEnglish07/10/2019 10:40

JL MatserCard give you 0.5% on all purchases and 1% on JL/Waitrose …JL MatserCard give you 0.5% on all purchases and 1% on JL/Waitrose purchases with fairly regular regular double points events too.I believe there are a couple of Amex cards that give you a really generous deal on all spending for a few months on cashback or vouchers and then something along the same lines as JL but there's also an annual fee so you have to do the maths yourself about what works out better for you individually.For us, we got a Partner in the household so getting our loyalty dough paid in JL vouchers is all the more beneficial.I shut it down the second I got the credit on my Amazon account mate.

Is it easy to cancel the card?
Did it impact your credit rating much?
SpeakEnglish07/10/2019 10:40

JL MatserCard give you 0.5% on all purchases and 1% on JL/Waitrose …JL MatserCard give you 0.5% on all purchases and 1% on JL/Waitrose purchases with fairly regular regular double points events too.I believe there are a couple of Amex cards that give you a really generous deal on all spending for a few months on cashback or vouchers and then something along the same lines as JL but there's also an annual fee so you have to do the maths yourself about what works out better for you individually.For us, we got a Partner in the household so getting our loyalty dough paid in JL vouchers is all the more beneficial.I shut it down the second I got the credit on my Amazon account mate.

Not all Amex cards charge a fee, I have a Platinum cashback card which is fee free and offers 0.5% cashback, also has regular cashback bonuses for certain retailers, think I've claimed £30-40 in bonus cashback the past year.

My Amazon card is my main back up card which I use for Amazon plus anywhere which doesn't accept either Amex or Paypal (which tbh isn't that many places these days). I suppose it would make sense for me to get a 3rd cashback card to cover non Amex/Paypal/Amazon purchases but for the amount I spend which falls into that category it's barely worth the effort.
superfreddy07/10/2019 10:43

Is it easy to cancel the card?Did it impact your credit rating much?

Course it's that easy, and as I've explained above it's clearly not affected my credit score in the slightest because I've acquired 3 new kites in the last month with a combined limit of over 20K.

That is along with the JL MasterCard I have 13K limit on, the Nationwide Visa I have for foreign transactions with a £1850 limit and the M&S MasterCard I had a 6K limit on which I shut down in the last month after completing my current account switch from M&S Bank to HSBC.

I switch bank accounts very regularly too, I stuck with Lloyds TSB for years and years(well was originally a TSB customer before they merged) and got nothing for it but over the last couple of years I have been doing that annually too, as I keep saying free money is free money
superfreddy07/10/2019 10:30

You can only make one payment every 24 hours. Bad for me as I like to pay …You can only make one payment every 24 hours. Bad for me as I like to pay off each transaction I've done so I can keep track of things.You can't see previous payments you have made by card straight away like you used to either.

I use the mobile app and I have made 2 payments within 24hours before, although usually by faster payments rather than by debit card. Pending transactions also show pretty much instantly on the app.
SpeakEnglish07/10/2019 10:52

Course it's that easy, and as I've explained above it's clearly not …Course it's that easy, and as I've explained above it's clearly not affected my credit score in the slightest because I've acquired 3 new kites in the last month with a combined limit of over 20K.That is along with the JL MasterCard I have 13K limit on, the Nationwide Visa I have for foreign transactions with a £1850 limit and the M&S MasterCard I had a 6K limit on which I shut down in the last month after completing my current account switch from M&S Bank to HSBC.I switch bank accounts very regularly too, I stuck with Lloyds TSB for years and years(well was originally a TSB customer before they merged) and got nothing for it but over the last couple of years I have been doing that annually too, as I keep saying free money is free money

Ok thank you. Did the £20 Amazon credit get applied to your Amazon account straight away?
spoo07/10/2019 10:51

Not all Amex cards charge a fee, I have a Platinum cashback card which is …Not all Amex cards charge a fee, I have a Platinum cashback card which is fee free and offers 0.5% cashback, also has regular cashback bonuses for certain retailers, think I've claimed £30-40 in bonus cashback the past year. My Amazon card is my main back up card which I use for Amazon plus anywhere which doesn't accept either Amex or Paypal (which tbh isn't that many places these days). I suppose it would make sense for me to get a 3rd cashback card to cover non Amex/Paypal/Amazon purchases but for the amount I spend which falls into that category it's barely worth the effort.

We pay for absolutely everything with our JL cards ranging from a cheeseburger at Maccy D's to the monthly council tax, it's even our preferred payment method on PayPal, so we earn every penny we can get.

I suppose we must be quite a high spending household then because we had £395 in JL vouchers saved up from over the last year or so to put towards a Rangemaster I ordered in store when the absolutely useless CDA cooker we inherited from the previous owners of our home died last month.

superfreddy07/10/2019 11:00

Ok thank you. Did the £20 Amazon credit get applied to your Amazon account …Ok thank you. Did the £20 Amazon credit get applied to your Amazon account straight away?

You welcome mate and yes it did as I just double checked it shows up in your gift card balance as Amazon Platinum MasterCard Welcome Gift Card (claim code xxxx-xxxxxx-W7BC)
Edited by: "SpeakEnglish" 7th Oct
SpeakEnglish07/10/2019 11:13

We pay for absolutely everything with our JL cards ranging from a …We pay for absolutely everything with our JL cards ranging from a cheeseburger at Maccy D's to the monthly council tax, it's even our preferred payment method on PayPal, so we earn every penny we can get. I suppose we must be quite a high spending household then because we had £395 in JL vouchers saved up from over the last year or so to put towards a Rangemaster I ordered in store when the absolutely useless CDA cooker we inherited from the previous owners of our home died last month.You welcome mate and yes it did as I just double checked it shows up in your gift card balance as Amazon Platinum MasterCard Welcome Gift Card (claim code xxxx-xxxxxx-W7BC)

Thank you. Appreciate that.

It's good to have a card to put online purchases on as it'll mean you're covered if something goes wrong. That's mainly why I want it, but also for the £20 lol
RiverDragon807/10/2019 11:54

Comment deleted

Want I want is for you to do as you're told and not comment on my threads.
Freddy, I see your comment got deleted now but no need to thank me and rightly or wrongly I take the opposite approach and just fight my corner rather than pushing the report button but everyone is different.

Credit cards are a wonderful tool when used correctly and whatever I buy on them I have always got the money in a bank account somewhere just in case.

So even for the rather expensive purchases I made for myself and the missus that I transferred the balances from my daily JL card to the new ones for I could cover them if things went pear shaped but why lose the small interest you can get on your savings from people like Atom Bank when you can borrow those sums for as good as free?

It's quite literally cost me 50 quid to borrow 11 grand over two and a quarter years, even with the rubbish interest rates at present you're still earning 220 quid a year by keeping that sum in an annual fixed term savings account so it's the logical thing to do.
Had the card a little while i use amazon a lot so makes sense as they give you a voucher when you spend x amount.

I pay it off fully monthly though if your not going to do this there are much better cards out there.
SpeakEnglish07/10/2019 12:51

Credit cards are a wonderful tool when used correctly and whatever I buy …Credit cards are a wonderful tool when used correctly and whatever I buy on them I have always got the money in a bank account somewhere just in case.

My exact sentiments! I only utilise credit for offers, vouchers ect & always pay it off instantly. Havent seen any negative impacts and as this was my first ‘proper’ card I dont anticipate any lasting effects. Thanks for articulating it a lot better than I could!

Also, Did you have to call to cancel? Was it a painless experience or did they try multiple tactics to keep you on?
Jayswa08/10/2019 09:27

My exact sentiments! I only utilise credit for offers, vouchers ect & …My exact sentiments! I only utilise credit for offers, vouchers ect & always pay it off instantly. Havent seen any negative impacts and as this was my first ‘proper’ card I dont anticipate any lasting effects. Thanks for articulating it a lot better than I could!Also, Did you have to call to cancel? Was it a painless experience or did they try multiple tactics to keep you on?

Well thank you for the kind endorsement and it's not often I've been complimented on how I've articulated something because I'm common as muck me but I do take squeezing every bit of value I can get from everywhere most seriously.

As far as I know there's no negative points credit score wise for opening and closing accounts rather quickly as long as you clear any balances on time which is stating the obvious.
I would assume lenders liking to see consistency and stability as they say is probably a valid point but then that is also likely judged on each individual's personal report.
In my case they'll see I've had quite a few cards come and go over the years but they'll also see I've had my JL MasterCard long term and run it as a very tight ship, having paid it in full every month I've had it regardless of if the balance was a couple of grand or four times that.
I have never been turned down for any card I've applied for and do have quite a few, we've also got numerous bank accounts to utilise the best interest rates on balances of up to around 3K and have also started switching my main current account yearly to exploit the best sweeteners on offer at the time over the last couple of years.

And finally to answer your question yes I had to cancel by phone, she didn't try that hard to keep me on board just asked why I was closing the account and they sent me a confirmation letter in the post a few days later.
SpeakEnglish08/10/2019 10:10

Well thank you for the kind endorsement and it's not often I've been …Well thank you for the kind endorsement and it's not often I've been complimented on how I've articulated something because I'm common as muck me but I do take squeezing every bit of value I can get from everywhere most seriously.As far as I know there's no negative points credit score wise for opening and closing accounts rather quickly as long as you clear any balances on time which is stating the obvious. I would assume lenders liking to see consistency and stability as they say is probably a valid point but then that is also likely judged on each individual's personal report. In my case they'll see I've had quite a few cards come and go over the years but they'll also see I've had my JL MasterCard long term and run it as a very tight ship, having paid it in full every month I've had it regardless of if the balance was a couple of grand or four times that.I have never been turned down for any card I've applied for and do have quite a few, we've also got numerous bank accounts to utilise the best interest rates on balances of up to around 3K and have also started switching my main current account yearly to exploit the best sweeteners on offer at the time over the last couple of years.And finally to answer your question yes I had to cancel by phone, she didn't try that hard to keep me on board just asked why I was closing the account and they sent me a confirmation letter in the post a few days later.

How long did you have the Amazon card before you cancelled it?
superfreddy08/10/2019 10:15

How long did you have the Amazon card before you cancelled it?

About a fortnight or a month well however long it was for them to credit me the gift card mate.

I had an Amazon card for quite a few years when it was run by MBNA, it was actually my daily card for quite a while before I got the JL one, and I found them a great firm especially with disputes.

Around that time there was also a PayPal Visa card that gave you rather generous cashback in the form of credits to your PayPal account on all purchase but they just shut it down one day never to reappear
SpeakEnglish08/10/2019 10:27

About a fortnight or a month well however long it was for them to credit …About a fortnight or a month well however long it was for them to credit me the gift card mate.I had an Amazon card for quite a few years when it was run by MBNA, it was actually my daily card for quite a while before I got the JL one, and I found them a great firm especially with disputes.Around that time there was also a PayPal Visa card that gave you rather generous cashback in the form of credits to your PayPal account on all purchase but they just shut it down one day never to reappear

My MBNA account originated from an Amazon card too.
I don't like the sound of New Day as a main card though.
superfreddy08/10/2019 10:29

My MBNA account originated from an Amazon card too.I don't like the sound …My MBNA account originated from an Amazon card too.I don't like the sound of New Day as a main card though.

I had an Aqua with fee free foreign transactions when I was spending a lot of time abroad, probably around the same time the Amazon MBNA one was my main card.

I have to say I never had any drama with it apart from when I first applied for it they palmed me off with one of their other cards that wasn't fee free abroad.
I obviously kicked right off and they even credited my account with about 60 quid good will for my troubles so I suppose I should be more complimentary about them than I am.

No real value in them being your day to day card I'd have thought though, not even this Amazon one as it's not that generous. Definitely not for us anyway but everyone's personal circumstances are different so you have to add the sums up tp suit you.
I had an MBNA cc BITD (pre-app) and it was fine . Pretty good service BUT ofc the interest rates were higher than others. WIll be applying for an Amazon CC soon JUST for the voucher/credit too.
Worth remembering you dont get section 21 protection if u pay by CC thru paypal ...Pay for your own flight home!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants