New Desktop PC buying help needed

Found 11th Sep 2017
Hi, i've been keeping an eye on the computer section of HUKD for a while now, but no DESKTOP PC deals seem to pop up anymore! (I guess everyone loves phones, tablets and laptops these days)

I need a new desktop pc (with a screen), running windows. Main use will be surfing, multiple tabs, running trading scripts, betfair, bookmakers websites, youtube etc

I know some people will say anything basic will do, BUT, when i run google drive, spreadsheets, betfair, trading platforms + multiple browser tabs + youtube...the machine does really slow down and freeze a lot.

So what would be best for me to stop this happening and keep the machine running super quick and to be able to handle everything i throw at it and more?

I was guessing at maybe needing a machine with more RAM + SSD? How much am i looking to spend, i was "hoping" something around £300 would do....is that unrealistic?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments
I feel £300 for a Desktop PC + Monitor & Windows Licenses is quite unrealistic.

An SSD is a must these days, considering how cheap they are.

If you can provide your current specification it may be best to upgrade companents.
Edited by: "MrCollective" 11th Sep 2017
Original Poster
MrCollective44 m ago

I feel £300 for a Desktop PC + Monitor & Windows Licenses is quite …I feel £300 for a Desktop PC + Monitor & Windows Licenses is quite unrealistic.An SSD is a must these days, considering how cheap they are.If you can provide your current specification it may be best to upgrade companents.

Yeah i think so too, i don't mind spending more to be honest. Maybe £400-£500 is a better budget?

The current PC i have is VERY old now (maybe 6 years). It's a pentium dual core - 2.8ghz, 4GB RAM, running windows 7. I don't think it's worth upgrading, it has a weak power supply, no dedicated graphics card and i really wanted another new desktop to sit along side it so i can use both at the same time.

What do you think?
timj136 m ago

Yeah i think so too, i don't mind spending more to be honest. Maybe …Yeah i think so too, i don't mind spending more to be honest. Maybe £400-£500 is a better budget?The current PC i have is VERY old now (maybe 6 years). It's a pentium dual core - 2.8ghz, 4GB RAM, running windows 7. I don't think it's worth upgrading, it has a weak power supply, no dedicated graphics card and i really wanted another new desktop to sit along side it so i can use both at the same time. What do you think?

I'll see what I can conjure up this afternoon. Others might drop a list before me but I'll give it a shot for you.
Original Poster
MrCollective4 h, 40 m ago

I'll see what I can conjure up this afternoon. Others might drop a list …I'll see what I can conjure up this afternoon. Others might drop a list before me but I'll give it a shot for you.

Cheers mate, thanks alot
The equivalent of your current machine with a Pentium G or i3 CPU runs to about £350-400 for the base unit, add another £100 or more if you want a new screen.

The N and J suffix models are the descendents of the Nettops and their Atom D processors, in some ways they're not that much faster than your current PC.
What Pentium CPU do you have? (go to control panel/System and security/System). That 4GB RAM is that 1x4GB or 2x2GB DDR3?
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 11th Sep 2017
Original Poster
RiverDragon810 h, 56 m ago

What Pentium CPU do you have? (go to control panel/System and …What Pentium CPU do you have? (go to control panel/System and security/System). That 4GB RAM is that 1x4GB or 2x2GB DDR3?

Thanks. For my CPU it just says "pentium dual core E6300@2.8ghz"

The RAM is 2x2GB DDR3 (3.24GB usable)
Edited by: "timj13" 12th Sep 2017
Original Poster
EndlessWaves15 h, 21 m ago

The equivalent of your current machine with a Pentium G or i3 CPU runs to …The equivalent of your current machine with a Pentium G or i3 CPU runs to about £350-400 for the base unit, add another £100 or more if you want a new screen.The N and J suffix models are the descendents of the Nettops and their Atom D processors, in some ways they're not that much faster than your current PC.

Thanks. So i should be definitely looking for a Pentium G or an i3 CPU desktop then?

I will have a look at some deals later on today. What manufacturer or website do you think i would get the best deal from?
I got my current one from Ebuyer (its a zoostorm) It seem's to have lasted very well but i think i remember reading that they use quite cheap components in these machines?
You're looking for a budget machine, cheap components are only to be expected.

Ideally the latest Pentium G4560 or above as there was a substantial bump in power, but the older ones are decent too. I5, I7 and Ryzen processors are all good too, but typically more expensive.

I'm not sure who's aggressively discounting desktops at the moment. Ebuyer and LaptopsDirect often seem to have good prices.
For starters you can overclock (OC) your CPU from 2.80GHz to 3.5GHz giving it a 25% increase in performance click.

Pop in to your local CEX and get 2x4GB DDR3 RAM for £20-24. Add SSD for £45. Do a fresh install win10 with your win7 key.

You can also upgrade your CPU click/click. OC from 3.33 GHz to 4.14 GHz to increase performance click.

If you're a complete noob then buy one of these click (make £110 delivered offer). Add 4GB RAM and a SSD for your boot drive (£60) Then buy a IPS monitor (£90-110). You said you wanted to run both PC side by side (waste of time). If this is the case then buy 2 IPS monitors for twin monitor set up from your new desktop.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 12th Sep 2017
Original Poster
EndlessWaves12th Sep

You're looking for a budget machine, cheap components are only to be …You're looking for a budget machine, cheap components are only to be expected.Ideally the latest Pentium G4560 or above as there was a substantial bump in power, but the older ones are decent too. I5, I7 and Ryzen processors are all good too, but typically more expensive.I'm not sure who's aggressively discounting desktops at the moment. Ebuyer and LaptopsDirect often seem to have good prices.

Thanks

I did a few searches and this seems to be the cheapest base unit:

ebuyer.com/787…BwE

Add an SSD + 4gb more ram (as river dragon suggested) = £430 (ish) plus IPS monitor and im looking total of £530-£550

Do you think thats worth it for such a system?
Original Poster
RiverDragon812th Sep

For starters you can overclock (OC) your CPU from 2.80GHz to 3.5GHz giving …For starters you can overclock (OC) your CPU from 2.80GHz to 3.5GHz giving it a 25% increase in performance click. Pop in to your local CEX and get 2x4GB DDR3 RAM for £20-24. Add SSD for £45. Do a fresh install win10 with your win7 key.You can also upgrade your CPU click/ click. OC from 3.33 GHz to 4.14 GHz to increase performance click.If you're a complete noob then buy one of these click (make £110 delivered offer). Add 4GB RAM and a SSD for your boot drive (£60) Then buy a IPS monitor (£90-110). You said you wanted to run both PC side by side (waste of time). If this is the case then buy 2 IPS monitors for twin monitor set up from your new desktop.

Thanks RiverDragon

Not sure i'd be comfortable over clocking (as the video does say this is for advanced users etc)

I will definitely pop into a CEX and have a look how much the RAM is going for.

I do want to have two seperate pc's, i know you think thats a waste of time but for my work and such it would be advantageous to keep the current one for browsing and the newer one for work.

So i guess i would need a base unit with windows installed (i dont have the licence key for the current one anyway). My question is if i bought a base unit (like the one you linked to via ebay) and then bought an SSD, would'nt windows still boot off the HDD because thats where windows is installed?

I've had a look for an SSD. is something like this ok?:

ebuyer.com/755…-pb

Cheapest IPS monitor on there is this one:

ebuyer.com/794…0sw

But what is the advantage of IPS? i know nothing about monitors and technology....
10-11 years ago I used to know a lot of people who used to trade on Betfair for a living. You basically need a basic PC with a bit of oomph with screen real estate. You don't need 2 PC's running side by side (this isn't the 90's), just 1 PC with twin monitor set up.

You copy/install your operating system (OS) onto your SSD then use the HDD as extra storage.

IPS has better colour reproduction and has better viewing angles. It reduces eye strain (brighter at lower settings).

You should be looking at 21'' to 24'' monitors like this click.

SSD like this will do click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Sep 2017
timj132 h, 1 m ago

ThanksI did a few searches and this seems to be the cheapest base …ThanksI did a few searches and this seems to be the cheapest base unit:http://www.ebuyer.com/787898-zoostorm-evolve-desktop-pc-7290-0226?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51482417219&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkIvPxr-i1gIVGs-yCh2yxgUgEAQYAyABEgILFPD_BwEAdd an SSD + 4gb more ram (as river dragon suggested) = £430 (ish) plus IPS monitor and im looking total of £530-£550Do you think thats worth it for such a system?

Looks a little expensive, something like this is a similar power for £40 cheaper:
laptopsdirect.co.uk/ace…asp

RiverDragon81 h, 25 m ago

IPS has better colour reproduction and has better viewing angles. It …IPS has better colour reproduction and has better viewing angles. It reduces eye strain (brighter at lower settings).You should be looking at 21'' to 24'' monitors like this click.SSD like this will do click.

The list of miracles attributed to IPS seems to grow bigger every year.

The main distinguishing feature is that the viewing angle behaviour is different. It typically distorts colours less as the angle increases. It's always been the preferred choice for graphic design monitors so that the colours near the edges of the screen are as similar as possible to how they look in the center. Generally if you don't notice the top to bottom gradiant on a TN screen then you don't need to worry about what sort of LCD matrix the screen is using and should focus on picture quality instead.

Higher brightness at lower settings has virtually nothing to do with the LCD, that's far more influence by choice of backlight and the screen's electronics and software.
EndlessWaves6 h, 40 m ago

Looks a little expensive, something like this is a similar power for £40 …Looks a little expensive, something like this is a similar power for £40 cheaper:http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-xc-710-core-i3-6100-4gb-500gb-nvidia-gt730-2gb-windows-10-deskt-dt.b1rek.002/version.aspThe list of miracles attributed to IPS seems to grow bigger every year.The main distinguishing feature is that the viewing angle behaviour is different. It typically distorts colours less as the angle increases. It's always been the preferred choice for graphic design monitors so that the colours near the edges of the screen are as similar as possible to how they look in the center. Generally if you don't notice the top to bottom gradiant on a TN screen then you don't need to worry about what sort of LCD matrix the screen is using and should focus on picture quality instead.Higher brightness at lower settings has virtually nothing to do with the LCD, that's far more influence by choice of backlight and the screen's electronics and software.

From personal experience, with TN panel monitors you need to adjust the brightness and contrast up higher (looks saturated with washed out colours) to get i.e a whiter white compared to a IPS panel with has a superior colour reproduction. This will cause my eyes to strain more.... so yes, brighter at lower settings.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 14th Sep 2017
RiverDragon810 h, 58 m ago

From personal experience

Of how many screens?
RiverDragon810 h, 58 m ago

you need to adjust the brightness and contrast up higher

Contrast adjustments should generally be left at default for maximum contrast, adjusting them up or down typically removes detail.
EndlessWaves2 h, 20 m ago

Of how many screens? Contrast adjustments should generally be left at …Of how many screens? Contrast adjustments should generally be left at default for maximum contrast, adjusting them up or down typically removes detail.

Everyone has their own preference to what is ideal to them for their own experience i.e if they've perfect eye sight, if they suffer from severe eye strain. As soon as you get a monitor what is the first thing you do? You adjust the settings for your own liking.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 14th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions