New driver car insurance

Found 23rd Jul
I know these threads pop up every so often but figured someone may have some half decent info.

I’m trying to find a cheap car insurance for my 19 yr old sis, who passed 3 months ago. She bought a new toyota yaris hybrid 18 (automatic) plate instead of getting a used banger.

Getting quotes of about £1700 on comparison sites with either just dad on it or both parents.

Is this the standard sort of price for a new car? Other factors are 4-5K mileage and standard stuff like driveway day/night locked up and job titles chosen specifically. Can’t think of much else to do or where to search, so i guess she has to deal with £1700 for the first year? This was with telematics aswell.

Thanks
Community Updates
13 Comments
Tbh £1700 on a brand new car for a 19 year old is not bad, the fact its brand new will bring the price up significantly and the fact she has only had a license for 3 months. Although I would be wary of "fronting" as they call it, because it's illegal, however many people still do it.

I assume the quotes are with black boxes? if not black boxes tend to be significantly cheaper than without (insure the box/tesco tend to be cheapest -differs from area to area). It would have been best to get some quotes before purchasing the car so you could see what worked with cheapest insurance, but try adding more drivers (experienced) as named as that generally brings the price down. I also wouldn't hold your hopes too high on this dropping next year either, premiums keep rising and the under 25's are one of the highest risk categories.
Edited by: "master10" 23rd Jul
That sounds about right, it'll come down quickly next year.
She's just high risk atm. I remember paying about that for my first year (about 8 years ago now).
Sounds about right but a bit worrying about your 'job titles chosen specifically' bit . If you're not being honest about anything, literally anything, on your insurance proposal then you could easily be dropped (have no insurance) in the event of a claim. Not worth lying or exaggerating.
Sounds good, but whats the lowest price without telematics? If its not much difference, it may be worth paying the difference.
Agree with the above posters to the point of saying that if you get the insurance cheaper elsewhere, it may well be a misquote or dodgy.

And quite agree with mrty's comments about over selection of specified items. A rejected insurance claim on the car would not just affect the next car policy (if she could get one). She will go down on the insurance swindlers database and be loaded, heavily, for years to come.

We spec'ed 5k miles for my 18 year old and he was heading to 10k according to a spreadsheet we kept. So we called Admiral when he was at 4.5k and it cost us £25 to raise it to 10k. A school mate waited until well over the limit and was charged £200.

BE HONEST with insurers.
Have you tried checking 3rd party insurance only. I Remember doing that on my first car as it was only £100 to buy anyway. Sold it for £50 the year after with no mot
Try a peugeot 107, citreon c1, toyota aygo i pay £648 fully comp only had my licence 2 months.
MonkeysUncle40 m ago

Have you tried checking 3rd party insurance only. I Remember doing that on …Have you tried checking 3rd party insurance only. I Remember doing that on my first car as it was only £100 to buy anyway. Sold it for £50 the year after with no mot

3rd party insurance being cheap is a myth! 99% of the time fully comp is cheaper. especially for a 18 plate car.

BTW, the op quote seems very reasonable based on the drivers age and experience.
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 23rd Jul
Check out bymiles.co.uk you may have some luck there but finish the quote as they give a ball park figure first
For comparison, my first years insurance (10 yrs ago) cost £900 3rd, f&f on a 10yo car. That was with parents on to drop the price.

Edit to add. 1.1l punto
Edited by: "BFCsider" 23rd Jul
Caroline_19931 h, 49 m ago

Try a peugeot 107, citreon c1, toyota aygo i pay £648 fully comp only had …Try a peugeot 107, citreon c1, toyota aygo i pay £648 fully comp only had my licence 2 months.

Which insurer is this please ?
MT204547 m ago

Which insurer is this please ?

Hastings direct.
It’s actually a good price. Probably reflecting the fact that the Yaris is usually owned by the greylings.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants