New electric Bike- Slime tube? good or bad?

Found 31st Mar
Just got a 850£ electric bike, and wondering if slime tube is good?

amazon.co.uk/SLI…ube

not really sure how this sort of thing works, whats the best option to make life easier with tyres getting punctres, thankyou in advance
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Used it a few times over the years and It works fairly okay at plugging up the puncture hole, the only problem is that sometimes to much pressure is lost by the time it stops the leak so you still need to carry a pump, basically the wheel may have to spin a good 30 or more time why enough slime gets into the hole to stop the air escaping, another problem is that when you see a thorn sticking out of your tyre and you pull it out and the air starts to come out of the tube, again you need to start spinning the wheel so the slime finds its way into the hole before to much pressure is lost. again this is okay as long as you have a pump to get you enough pressure to ride home. Don't get me wrong it sometimes has sealed the hole before to much pressure is lost and sometimes there is still just enough air to get you home without the need to pump up the tyre, but not carrying a pump just because you have slime in the tyres is risky, If you don't want to be preparing pictures at the side of the road then another option is to carry a can of emergency tyre fix with you, as not only do these seal puncture holes quickly but they also inflate to a good pressure, I have one of these from home bargains at £2, find it easier than carrying all the tools required to fix a puncture at the side of the road. Especially when it is cold and raining and you just want to get home.

33554087-RnA2V.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 31st Mar
I swapped out my Ebike tyres straight away and fitted Schwalbe Silento K Guard ones (puncture resistant guard inside the tyres), so far I have covers over a 1000 Miles and no punctures yet, that’s on and off road too down dirt tracks, pot holed roads. So can’t recommend these or similar puncture resistant tyres enough to you. No need for slime (or have I just been lucky!
-Azel-7 m ago

I swapped out my Ebike tyres straight away and fitted Schwalbe Silento K …I swapped out my Ebike tyres straight away and fitted Schwalbe Silento K Guard ones (puncture resistant guard inside the tyres), so far I have covers over a 1000 Miles and no punctures yet, that’s on and off road too down dirt tracks, pot holed roads. So can’t recommend these or similar puncture resistant tyres enough to you. No need for slime (or have I just been lucky!

I have schwalbe picture resistant tyres on one of my riad bikes and like you never got a puncture for a good 1000 plus miles, but come last autumn they cut back the hedges on one of the country roads I used and I continually got punctures every night, one night I got home and had at least 3 to 4 thorns in each tyre. So why they may resist some objects anything very sharp such as thorns still pierce through.
Slime or similar definitely worth it. I was getting a puncture every couple of weeks (just on the roads, short daily ride to work) until I switched to Slime inner tubes and I've not had to do a repair since - and it's been a couple of years at least now.
Yes it is a good idea, I worked for a company selling electric bikes and we would fill the tyres on request for a small charge if the customer supplied the product.
markvirgo50 m ago

Yes it is a good idea, I worked for a company selling electric bikes and …Yes it is a good idea, I worked for a company selling electric bikes and we would fill the tyres on request for a small charge if the customer supplied the product.

I already bought the slime, if i use this slime and then the slime does not work, how would i fix the tyre, what would need to be replaces the whole wheel?
how much does this cost, I have no idea about bikes and costs of this sort of stuff
Creatishh1st Apr

I already bought the slime, if i use this slime and then the slime does …I already bought the slime, if i use this slime and then the slime does not work, how would i fix the tyre, what would need to be replaces the whole wheel?how much does this cost, I have no idea about bikes and costs of this sort of stuff

If if doesn't work then the puncure is to big. You wouldn't have to change the wheel just the inner tube.
Creatishh1st Apr

I already bought the slime, if i use this slime and then the slime does …I already bought the slime, if i use this slime and then the slime does not work, how would i fix the tyre, what would need to be replaces the whole wheel?how much does this cost, I have no idea about bikes and costs of this sort of stuff

You could still repair the inner tube just clean away any slime that may have seeped outbid the puncture hole. Then just repair tube as you would with any puncture repair kit, most important part of a patch is sanding the inner tube to remove grease and the anti sticking agent they use during manufacture of inner tubes, anyway just seen this and thought may be worth a try, cheapest available at £2.50 from China, may as well as by the 29inch version and cut to size, just purchased myself to give it a try ebay.co.uk/itm…D5A
SOUTHWALES31st Mar

I have schwalbe picture resistant tyres on one of my riad bikes and like …I have schwalbe picture resistant tyres on one of my riad bikes and like you never got a puncture for a good 1000 plus miles, but come last autumn they cut back the hedges on one of the country roads I used and I continually got punctures every night, one night I got home and had at least 3 to 4 thorns in each tyre. So why they may resist some objects anything very sharp such as thorns still pierce through.

Never had a puncture with Schwalbes and been over plenty of thorns.

I've got a good few people to switch to Schwalbes, they've saved a small fortune and lots of time.
dataload34 m ago

Never had a puncture with Schwalbes and been over plenty of thorns.I've …Never had a puncture with Schwalbes and been over plenty of thorns.I've got a good few people to switch to Schwalbes, they've saved a small fortune and lots of time.

When you go over sharp thorns like I get here in Wales, it would take a lot more than schwalbles to stop them penetrating through to the tube.

33560459-25wvk.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants