Groups

New family car

Looking for reliable family car or SUV, 2 kids,me and the wife. decent room with good boot space. Currently drive VW golf tdi, this time it needs to have petrol engine, reliable and dose not cost too much to run and service. I am looking at seat Leon, Nissan quasai, Hyandia i35 or Peugeot 308, Peugeot 2008. What are people driving these day?

46 Comments

Seat Ibiza SE 1.4, its basically a Golf but better design

Original Poster

McGloney97

Seat Ibiza SE 1.4, its basically a Golf but better design

nice but too small.

Ford C-Max 1.6 MPV, good boot space and decent room.

Original Poster

aaqeel

Ford C-Max 1.6 MPV, good boot space and decent room.

thanks but trying to stear clear of fords.

Mazda cx3 or Cx5 with petrol engine is a good option.

Nissan Quasai 1.2t is probably the answer.

Original Poster

abydx

Mazda cx3 or Cx5 with petrol engine is a good option.

looks good but just out of my budget, don't want to spend more than £8000

Original Poster

groenleader

Nissan Quasai 1.2t is probably the answer.

yes the Nissan looks like a good option. I would want at least 1.6 engine.

I drive a golf, car before was a golf

Original Poster

snoopy18

I drive a golf, car before was a golf

yes me too, want something different this time with petrol engine.

hackerace

looks good but just out of my budget, don't want to spend more than £8000

Sadly £8K is likely to see you in older generation of petrol engines unless you find a particularly high mileage one which sadly might end up being well worn which is not the nicest thing to put your family in.

As a fleet manager I think you will be fine in diesel for a few years to come, we all know what the government is saying but unless its personal choice i think you would be OK.

The previous gen Nissan quasai only had bigger petrol engines that were not as torque as the modern turbo petrols.

I would go look for Mitsu ASX 2.2 (auto was standard, so was bullet proof build and every extra).

hackerace

yes the Nissan looks like a good option. I would want at least 1.6 engine.

Why? A naturally aspirated 1.6 has less torque then 1.2t (which is the replacement for the 1.6), it has better fuel economy and refinement.

Its madness to misunderstand cubic capacity vs turbo!

Original Poster

groenleader

Sadly £8K is likely to see you in older generation of petrol engines … Sadly £8K is likely to see you in older generation of petrol engines unless you find a particularly high mileage one which sadly might end up being well worn which is not the nicest thing to put your family in.As a fleet manager I think you will be fine in diesel for a few years to come, we all know what the government is saying but unless its personal choice i think you would be OK.The previous gen Nissan quasai only had bigger petrol engines that were not as torque as the modern turbo petrols. I would go look for Mitsu ASX 2.2 (auto was standard, so was bullet proof build and every extra).

I dont want diesel as its not good for local runs, hence the reason for petrol engine. never heard of mitsu?

Original Poster

groenleader

Why? A naturally aspirated 1.6 has less torque then 1.2t (which is the … Why? A naturally aspirated 1.6 has less torque then 1.2t (which is the replacement for the 1.6), it has better fuel economy and refinement. Its madness to misunderstand cubic capacity vs turbo!

Well my understanding is you are constantly using the turbro as it needs to accommodate for the smaller engine. so with the slightly bigger engine it will be better and no worry of turbo going.

hackerace

I dont want diesel as its not good for local runs, hence the reason for … I dont want diesel as its not good for local runs, hence the reason for petrol engine. never heard of mitsu?

If you are looking for old school inefficient SUV for the money go and look at the Vauxhall Mokka. Its mediocre by nature with an uninvolving drive and sluggish engines, that are in your budget and probably meet your requirements. Mitsu = Mitsubishi.

Edited by: "groenleader" 19th Apr

hackerace

Well my understanding is you are constantly using the turbro as it needs … Well my understanding is you are constantly using the turbro as it needs to accommodate for the smaller engine. so with the slightly bigger engine it will be better and no worry of turbo going.

Modern turbo failure is so widespread every new car is broken down by the side of road ;).

In 99% of the cases, what you head down the pub in the 1980s about Renault 5 GTs and Lotus turbos does not apply today.

Original Poster

groenleader

Modern turbo failure is so widespread every new car is broken down by the … Modern turbo failure is so widespread every new car is broken down by the side of road ;). In 99% of the cases, what you head down the pub in the 1980s about Renault 5 GTs and Lotus turbos does not apply today.

Thanks for the advice.

Mokka 1.6 Petrol

The above link is to approve used, on budget with a bit to negotiate with at Vauxhall used network. There are a lot about so no doubt can find one in your area.

I've had a 1.2T Quashqai for 2 years, it's fine for what it is. It's mainly the wife's car.

Only thing I can complain about is sometimes when you pull off the car has literally no go, and crawls out of junctions, no idea why it does it.

Plus I have a Golf GTI, and the Quashqai is way more practical with the kids, more room, the higher ride height makes it easier to get them in and out etc, although ours are both toddlers so in quite big bulky car seats and can't get in and out the car themselves.

Original Poster

groenleader

Mokka 1.6 PetrolThe above link is to approve used, on budget with a bit … Mokka 1.6 PetrolThe above link is to approve used, on budget with a bit to negotiate with at Vauxhall used network. There are a lot about so no doubt can find one in your area.

yes i looked the that but less boot space than my vw golf.

Original Poster

f34r

I've had a 1.2T Quashqai for 2 years, it's fine for what it is. It's … I've had a 1.2T Quashqai for 2 years, it's fine for what it is. It's mainly the wife's car.Only thing I can complain about is sometimes when you pull off the car has literally no go, and crawls out of junctions, no idea why it does it.Plus I have a Golf GTI, and the Quashqai is way more practical with the kids, more room, the higher ride height makes it easier to get them in and out etc, although ours are both toddlers so in quite big bulky car seats and can't get in and out the car themselves.

Yes i want similar performance to the golf, the golf has served me well for many years but now that I am doing local runs its not good for the engine.

Seat Leon. Always had Vauxhalls before. Then had a fiesta. Would never go back to either again. First car I have drove and felt safe in. I have 3 kids in the back. Loads of Boot space. I am 5ft 8 long legs short body. So always find getting seat position a pain. Never had a issue in my seat Leon. I have 1.2 63 petrol. Has more power and pull than any Vauxhall I have ever owned and also a big plus. It's the first car I can park. ( driven 17 yrs and always struggle to reverse park into a space )

Kia Sportage - Reliable and 8,000 should get a decent one. Boot space is OK - I have two large dogs and it fits them in nicely and the back of the boot is not too high off the ground either making it easier to get things in and out..

hackerace

Yes i want similar performance to the golf, the golf has served me well … Yes i want similar performance to the golf, the golf has served me well for many years but now that I am doing local runs its not good for the engine.

Can you explain in what ways its not good for the engine?

Some diesels have an exhaust particle filter, which often needs a drive at speed a temperature for it to clear through. I am not hugely away of any engine problems with short drive diesels, most people driving diesels built between 06 and 2014 are probably only doing short runs!

Original Poster

vikki78vicky

Seat Leon. Always had Vauxhalls before. Then had a fiesta. Would never … Seat Leon. Always had Vauxhalls before. Then had a fiesta. Would never go back to either again. First car I have drove and felt safe in. I have 3 kids in the back. Loads of Boot space. I am 5ft 8 long legs short body. So always find getting seat position a pain. Never had a issue in my seat Leon. I have 1.2 63 petrol. Has more power and pull than any Vauxhall I have ever owned and also a big plus. It's the first car I can park. ( driven 17 yrs and always struggle to reverse park into a space )

Thanks for the feedback. Yes my first choice is seat lean, personally i like the older shape but diffo looking at this one, is your a tsi or standard?
    Edited by: "hackerace" 19th Apr

Original Poster

groenleader

Can you explain in what ways its not good for the engine? Some diesels … Can you explain in what ways its not good for the engine? Some diesels have an exhaust particle filter, which often needs a drive at speed a temperature for it to clear through. I am not hugely away of any engine problems with short drive diesels, most people driving diesels built between 06 and 2014 are probably only doing short runs!

My mechanic told me its not good for engine as it clogs it up if not driven long enough, mine is 04 plate.
    Edited by: "hackerace" 19th Apr

hackerace

My mechanic told me its not good for engine as it clogs it up if not … My mechanic told me its not good for engine as it clogs it up if not driven long enough, mine is 04 plate.

Generally referred to as short drive malaise, it affects petrol engines too! Deposits build up inside in engine around the valves etc. Its usually cleared by a long drive.

Original Poster

groenleader

Generally referred to as short drive malaise, it affects petrol engines … Generally referred to as short drive malaise, it affects petrol engines too! Deposits build up inside in engine around the valves etc. Its usually cleared by a long drive.

thanks for the advice.

Original Poster

philhib1964

Kia Sportage - Reliable and 8,000 should get a decent one. Boot space is … Kia Sportage - Reliable and 8,000 should get a decent one. Boot space is OK - I have two large dogs and it fits them in nicely and the back of the boot is not too high off the ground either making it easier to get things in and out..

Thanks I will look at that, whats the performance like, and mpg? whats engine is yours?

Original Poster

cullies

check the good/bad of most models … check the good/bad of most models here;https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

thanks.

Original Poster

shauneco

No where near as much as diesel, Just look at the soot that comes out the … No where near as much as diesel, Just look at the soot that comes out the exhaust of a diesel, That soot/carbon is clogging the egr, manifold, turbo, dpf, catalyst and exhaust system. Petrol in comparison burns a lot cleaner and none of those components will carbon up anywhere near as much in a petrol fact.Typical diesel egr Short journeys might be fine on new cars but on older cars you're going to get problems.

exactly. thanks for that.

Rule of thumb:
    Below average miles = Buy a petrol
    Above average miles = Buy a diesel

Sounds like you are using it for short Journeys mainly then.
    Qashqai sounds like your best option, it ticks pretty much all your boxes your asking it to do.
    Otherwise Dacia Duster.
    Problem is, you're wanting an SUV - which are in high demand currently and hold their value really well.
    I think you're going to need to compromise somewhere - either up your budget or look at older ones.
    Regarding the smaller turbo petrols, the trend is downsizing the petrols and adding a turbo to them to make them more eco friendly, at the expense of future potential reliability issues.

A golf plus might be something to consider, though they are few and far between (and you say you want a change from the golf anyway) or maybe a Seat Altea?

Anyway - nip to a car supermarket and sit in a few to give yourself some ideas. Good look anyway

I bought Peugeot 2008 earlier this year and generally a nice roomy car. It's the petrol version and seems pretty economical. If you are looking s/hand I would say find the Allure version as it is higher specced.

Original Poster

118luke

Rule of thumb:Below average miles = Buy a petrolAbove average miles = Buy … Rule of thumb:Below average miles = Buy a petrolAbove average miles = Buy a dieselSounds like you are using it for short Journeys mainly then.Qashqai sounds like your best option, it ticks pretty much all your boxes your asking it to do.Otherwise Dacia Duster.Problem is, you're wanting an SUV - which are in high demand currently and hold their value really well.I think you're going to need to compromise somewhere - either up your budget or look at older ones.Regarding the smaller turbo petrols, the trend is downsizing the petrols and adding a turbo to them to make them more eco friendly, at the expense of future potential reliability issues. A golf plus might be something to consider, though they are few and far between (and you say you want a change from the golf anyway) or maybe a Seat Altea?Anyway - nip to a car supermarket and sit in a few to give yourself some ideas. Good look anyway

I think its either going to be seat leon or Nissan qashqai, unless i see something better, never considered Dacia?
    yes, I will try looking at few models before i buy. thanks for the advice.

Original Poster

mosskeeto

I bought Peugeot 2008 earlier this year and generally a nice roomy car. … I bought Peugeot 2008 earlier this year and generally a nice roomy car. It's the petrol version and seems pretty economical. If you are looking s/hand I would say find the Allure version as it is higher specced.

Yes I did look at the 2008 but it was diesel not petrol, I do like the look and feel of these types.

hackerace

Yes I did look at the 2008 but it was diesel not petrol, I do like the … Yes I did look at the 2008 but it was diesel not petrol, I do like the look and feel of these types.

It drives nice, feels like a big car but the wife soon got used to it and now loves it, I was looking for a diesel initially but more than one said the same, we didn't do enough miles to warrant it and with new regs coming in about diesel cars it was probably a good move.

Original Poster

mosskeeto

It drives nice, feels like a big car but the wife soon got used to it and … It drives nice, feels like a big car but the wife soon got used to it and now loves it, I was looking for a diesel initially but more than one said the same, we didn't do enough miles to warrant it and with new regs coming in about diesel cars it was probably a good move.

Yes I will have to test drive one to see how it drives, not seen the boot space yet so cant compare it to my vw. both wife and I will be sharing it, we will mainly use it for short distances but still need something reliable and comfy for when we go on long journys, what engine size have you got and what spec?

hackerace

Yes I will have to test drive one to see how it drives, not seen the boot … Yes I will have to test drive one to see how it drives, not seen the boot space yet so cant compare it to my vw. both wife and I will be sharing it, we will mainly use it for short distances but still need something reliable and comfy for when we go on long journys, what engine size have you got and what spec?

Mine are s a 1.2 Allure...
    Full specs on my 2016 model are....

One touch electric front/rear windows, Rear wash/wipe, Tinted rear windows, ABS/EBFD/EBA, ESP, Bluetooth system, Cruise control + speed limiter, EPAS, Rear parking aid, External temperature gauge, Service interval indicator, Touch screen display, Trip computer, Chrome door mirrors, Electric folding door mirrors, Electric operated/heated door mirrors, Electrochrome rear view mirror, 4 speakers + 2 tweeters, DAB Digital radio, Steering wheel mounted remote controls, USB interface, Body colour bumpers, Colour coded door handles, Radiator grille with bright chrome surround and bright chrome bars, Rear sports spoiler, Roof bars, Automatic activation of hazard warning lights, Automatic lights and wipers, Chrome front fog light surround, Cornering front fog lights, Follow me home headlights, LED daytime running lights, LED rear lights, Dual zone automatic air conditioning, Auxilliary 12V power socket, Gear shift indicator, Height/reach adjust steering wheel, Leather and chrome gear knob, Leather steering wheel, Refrigerated glovebox, Stainless Steel Scuff Plates, 3 rear 3 point seatbelts, Child safety lock, Driver and passenger airbags, Front and rear curtain airbags, Front side airbags, Passenger airbag deactivation system, Seatbelt warning lamp and buzzer, Tyre pressure sensor, 1/3 to 2/3 split folding rear seats, 3 rear head restraints, Driver seat height adjust, Front head restraints, Front passenger seat height adjust, Isofix on outer rear seats, Remote central locking + deadlocks, Thatcham Cat 2 engine immobiliser, Driver/passenger sunvisors and vanity mirrors, 16" Hydre alloy wheels, Space saver spare wheel

Hope that helps...

Original Poster

mosskeeto

Mine are s a 1.2 Allure...Full specs on my 2016 model are....One touch … Mine are s a 1.2 Allure...Full specs on my 2016 model are....One touch electric front/rear windows, Rear wash/wipe, Tinted rear windows, ABS/EBFD/EBA, ESP, Bluetooth system, Cruise control + speed limiter, EPAS, Rear parking aid, External temperature gauge, Service interval indicator, Touch screen display, Trip computer, Chrome door mirrors, Electric folding door mirrors, Electric operated/heated door mirrors, Electrochrome rear view mirror, 4 speakers + 2 tweeters, DAB Digital radio, Steering wheel mounted remote controls, USB interface, Body colour bumpers, Colour coded door handles, Radiator grille with bright chrome surround and bright chrome bars, Rear sports spoiler, Roof bars, Automatic activation of hazard warning lights, Automatic lights and wipers, Chrome front fog light surround, Cornering front fog lights, Follow me home headlights, LED daytime running lights, LED rear lights, Dual zone automatic air conditioning, Auxilliary 12V power socket, Gear shift indicator, Height/reach adjust steering wheel, Leather and chrome gear knob, Leather steering wheel, Refrigerated glovebox, Stainless Steel Scuff Plates, 3 rear 3 point seatbelts, Child safety lock, Driver and passenger airbags, Front and rear curtain airbags, Front side airbags, Passenger airbag deactivation system, Seatbelt warning lamp and buzzer, Tyre pressure sensor, 1/3 to 2/3 split folding rear seats, 3 rear head restraints, Driver seat height adjust, Front head restraints, Front passenger seat height adjust, Isofix on outer rear seats, Remote central locking + deadlocks, Thatcham Cat 2 engine immobiliser, Driver/passenger sunvisors and vanity mirrors, 16" Hydre alloy wheels, Space saver spare wheelHope that helps...

Thanks, a lot of spec for the money!!! I was just browsing and saw the new Peugeot 308 hatchback , looks very similar to the vw golf and has a bigger boot space. looks nice and in my price range.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions