New Fibre Broadband Slots at Exchange

Found 7th Feb 2016
Since last summer, I've been told that Fibre broadband is now in my area but it was too much to pay for the upgrade at the time. Now my contact has just run out, I rang BT and they told me that it's not available anymore as there aren't any slots left in the exchange. Does anyone know how often they add new slots? The Openreach website just says that the exchange is experiencing a high level of demand.

It's frustrating as I'm only getting ~0.5Mbps on my normal ADSL line...
Community Updates
AskBroadband
11 Comments
depends whether the cabinet near your house is full, BT open reach can add more capacity but only if it's financially worth it, you can't find it this info yourself.

all you can do is keep trying, either someone will cancel their connection or bt will add more lines.

I thought they did a waiting list now, so bt should let you order and give you a connection asap.

pop across to the thinkbroadband fibre forums, people can give you much more info there.
Unfortunately the planned uptake on fiber was much higher then was planned for. As bluetba stated there should now be a wait list. Ring 150 and ask them.

It's frustrating as I'm only getting ~0.5Mbps on my normal ADSL line...

What comparative speed have BT suggested fibre could give you? That suggests to me that you are some way from the exchange. So it may be worth considering how close you are to the local cabinet.

You could also keep an eye out for an engineer doing work on a local cabinet and ask them what they know as they are likely to be much more in the know.
Edited by: "Astec123" 7th Feb 2016
For a more accurate check use your phone number at dslchecker.bt.com/ If you can screen shot and post back results that would be handy. Crop/blank out your phone number of course.
Edited by: "morgie" 7th Feb 2016
We had something similar, our area was supposed to have fibre within 3 months, 3 months came and went and open reach said it was live, all the companies including BT said it would be on sale 6 months later. In the end gave up on them and moved to virgin.
Original Poster

I live in a new build estate and in pretty far away from the nearest exchange. When fibre was available I was told I could get 35 or 75-80Mbps. I think I'm pretty close to the nearest cabinet on our road as we were one of the very first houses on the estate.

The thing that annoys me the most is that I didn't upgrade due to the price but now I've looked at renewing my internet (BT quoted £5.85pm as speed is so low), it'll be the same story when fibre is available again. Is there any way BT can offer me a good deal from now for when fibre is available?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g261/yeoldgreat1/bt%20screenshot.png

This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC services. You may place an order … This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC services. You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn.FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible.WBC SOGEA is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible.For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market B Exchange.For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.Thank you for your interest.

Sun_Blade

I live in a new build estate and in pretty far away from the nearest … I live in a new build estate and in pretty far away from the nearest exchange. When fibre was available I was told I could get 35 or 75-80Mbps. I think I'm pretty close to the nearest cabinet on our road as we were one of the very first houses on the estate.The thing that annoys me the most is that I didn't upgrade due to the price but now I've looked at renewing my internet (BT quoted £5.85pm as speed is so low), it'll be the same story when fibre is available again. Is there any way BT can offer me a good deal from now for when fibre is available?

Thanks. So yes, as you can see speeds are good, you should get close to the full 80 down 20 up service. As you've seen, the waiters list is the issue. Tell your neighbours to cancel their orders Failing that, explain to BT you can see a waiting list and that you want your order placed now so you're in the queue. It'll then be a case of waiting to hear from them. You can monitor the result on the page above each day (to see when 'Waiting list' changes to 'Available' if you want to be on the ball chasing them up.

Edited by: "morgie" 8th Feb 2016
they can (if its not full already) add more line cards, but they won't if they don't think they will get the orders to cover the cost - so the more people on the waiting list the better as this shows interest.

bt will put you on the waiting list if you ask, it's a new system so is not well known at the moment.
I know this post is very old but I can't find any recent information. I have tried bt and sky and both tell me there is no waiting list and I can't place an order as capacity is full. my cabinet info is exactly the same as the one above. just wondering if you managed to get onto the waiting list? thanks
dying4fibre

I know this post is very old but I can't find any recent information. I … I know this post is very old but I can't find any recent information. I have tried bt and sky and both tell me there is no waiting list and I can't place an order as capacity is full. my cabinet info is exactly the same as the one above. just wondering if you managed to get onto the waiting list? thanks

What does the DSL checker say for you if you enter your PSTN number (phone number)? dslchecker.bt.com/
Original Poster
dying4fibre

I know this post is very old but I can't find any recent information. I … I know this post is very old but I can't find any recent information. I have tried bt and sky and both tell me there is no waiting list and I can't place an order as capacity is full. my cabinet info is exactly the same as the one above. just wondering if you managed to get onto the waiting list? thanks

I just kept checking the openreach fibre webpage for an update (homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/whe…spx) and found out one day that fibre slots were available for ordering. Unfortunately I couldn't find a waiting list but you can register your interest on the website and they should email you when they are available to order. I'd recommend that you keep checking though, i think it was about 6 months from when it was originally available and I missed out to the second time it became available again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions