Groups
    EXPIRED

New Gas Connection - How much?

Hello people,
    I'm wondering if anyone can help, I'm moving soon and the property has Electric heating only, no connection to Gas at all.
    Now I've checked and there is gas in the street but it's going to be a while before the gas network responsible will do a survey and give me an estimate..
    Anyone here had this done or is in the know?
    I understand distance is a factor (10 to 15 feet is my guess) but any rough idea would help me.
    I'm just wondering and eager to know if it's within my budget.
    All helpful replies welcome.
    Cheers

13 Comments

A few years ago I wanted Gas in a small cul de saxc - no one else did, but the gas board gave the price (there were only 4 houses in the street) for gas to be brought in when I requested gas they brought it into the street for me and I paid 1/4 of the total cost, eventually the others wanted gas - I think they were hoping it would be cheaper after me but it worked out we all paid the same - at that time it cost £1,500

Original Poster

octobergirl;4225549

A few years ago I wanted Gas in a small cul de saxc - no one else did, … A few years ago I wanted Gas in a small cul de saxc - no one else did, but the gas board gave the price (there were only 4 houses in the street) for gas to be brought in when I requested gas they brought it into the street for me and I paid 1/4 of the total cost, eventually the others wanted gas - I think they were hoping it would be cheaper after me but it worked out we all paid the same - at that time it cost £1,500

Ouch! Cheers, I was hoping £400-£600.
    Thanks.:thumbsup:

The price is very dependent on the distance they have to dig up.

I've found that the National Grid are usually the cheapest option - as they often carry out some of the work for the other private gas connection suppliers, like British Gas "New Connections". For example BG quoted me £1500 for a new meter, when National Grid can do the same for £606. They also will provide all excavation and backfill on private land inclusive in the price (as well as from the road main of course). This is partly due to the fact that NG have an obligation to provide fixed prices, such as this for Central England: nationalgrid.com/NR/…pdf
    They have a online quoting system you can use to get a indication of price, and place an order:
    nationalgrid.com/uk/…ns/

Original Poster

Cheers, especially the links,
    Keep em coming.

Money saving G is correct but you can also contact a range of independent companies that can carry out new gas connections. If you take a look on the lloyds GIR'S register, they will give you names and contact details of companies that can cost the works for you. It will take around 5-10 to get a quotation and about 6-8 weeks after you acept to carry the works out.

bassett123

Money saving G is correct but you can also contact a range of independent … Money saving G is correct but you can also contact a range of independent companies that can carry out new gas connections. If you take a look on the lloyds GIR'S register, they will give you names and contact details of companies that can cost the works for you. It will take around 5-10 to get a quotation and about 6-8 weeks after you acept to carry the works out.

and thanks for joining just to post that quick reply

(I hope you are not a gas engineer, at your speed, the bills must be enormous! oO )

MoneySavingG

I've found that the National Grid are usually the cheapest option - as … I've found that the National Grid are usually the cheapest option - as they often carry out some of the work for the other private gas connection suppliers, like British Gas "New Connections". For example BG quoted me £1500 for a new meter, when National Grid can do the same for £606. They also will provide all excavation and backfill on private land inclusive in the price (as well as from the road main of course). This is partly due to the fact that NG have an obligation to provide fixed prices, such as this for Central England: http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/6B70E4A6-7555-43AA-B1B1-C8F43DC1BC95/28598/CSCD_Oct08Final.pdfThey have a online quoting system you can use to get a indication of price, and place an order:http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/

Spot on advice, National Grid are about your best bet. I have access to National Grid MAPS if you need to see a site map of the area and existing gas mains, drop me a PM.

Flodd

Spot on advice, National Grid are about your best bet. I have access to … Spot on advice, National Grid are about your best bet. I have access to National Grid MAPS if you need to see a site map of the area and existing gas mains, drop me a PM.

Its a 4 year old thread ffs! oO

(dont wait in for the pm )

Original Poster

A tad late with the replies but still helpful and thus welcome

I see I left out a key detail - I'm in Scotland and that can greatly affect things despite my city location.
    But at the time I didn't know any possible figure so everyones experience or knowledge was/is welcome.

I did call SGN or some people know them as Transco I think.
    They were very helpful, explained that they asked the local authorised contractor to survey and give me costing. And that it would be under 600 subject to distance and access.
    And the survey was free.
    I was quoted 450 if I remember correctly.
    I didn't update here to avoid dragging up an old thread as it was a few months later.

Cheers folks.

markq

Its a 4 year old thread ffs! oO(dont wait in for the pm )

vinnyabdn

A tad late with the replies but still helpful and thus welcome :)I see I … A tad late with the replies but still helpful and thus welcome :)I see I left out a key detail - I'm in Scotland and that can greatly affect things despite my city location.But at the time I didn't know any possible figure so everyones experience or knowledge was/is welcome.I did call SGN or some people know them as Transco I think.They were very helpful, explained that they asked the local authorised contractor to survey and give me costing. And that it would be under 600 subject to distance and access.And the survey was free.I was quoted 450 if I remember correctly.I didn't update here to avoid dragging up an old thread as it was a few months later.Cheers folks.

It's always worth posting an update as then anybody 'Googling' a similar query will get facts.

This is a very good informations for myself and new house wantings the gas supplying to cooker in the kitchen you know it is not with gas meter and I going to be on national grid website now. A very large thanks to posters ok bye.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767161
    2. one thing you're scared of4065
    3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553743
    4. Any PS4 News Here29313797

See more discussions