New glasses - which high street retailers is the quickest?

Found 6th Sep 2015
I need a new pair of glasses before this Saturday! Anyone recommend who has the quickest turnaround? My prescription is standard without verifocal etc.
Community Updates
13 Comments
i thought glasses were while you wait
otherwise just leave your eyes behind
I don't think they are. If they are, where?
Bhav007

I don't think they are. If they are, where?

yeah, i'm pretty sure you cant just get lenses done on the fly while you wait

Some branches of Specsavers, the ones in larger towns and cities, used to have a lab and a technician in-store who would make up glasses the same day, provided you only needed single vision lenses and they had them in stock. They did a pair for me a few years ago, they were ready in a couple of hours.
Not sure if they still offer this service though, might be worth a phone call.
Delbert Grady

Some larger branches of Specsavers, usually the ones in cities, used to … Some larger branches of Specsavers, usually the ones in cities, used to have a lab and a technician in-store who could make up glasses the same day provided you only needed single vision lenses and they had them in stock. They did some for me a few years ago, not sure if they still do, might be worth a phone call.

Specsavers takes weeks! They're horrible.

visionexpress can do it fast but they are expensive.
Slash

Specsavers takes weeks! They're horrible.visionexpress can do it fast but … Specsavers takes weeks! They're horrible.visionexpress can do it fast but they are expensive.

I wasn't recommending Specsavers as a good place to buy glasses and I wouldn't go back there myself, but I was just pointing out that some of their branches used to make them up in-store the same day, which is handy if you need a pair quickly, as the op does.
Slash

Specsavers takes weeks! They're horrible.visionexpress can do it fast but … Specsavers takes weeks! They're horrible.visionexpress can do it fast but they are expensive.

Specsavers stores are all franchises. So you'll find like all 'little' businesses the quality of staff and service will vary.
Also don't forget you pay a lot less that elsewhere.
For speed of supply, Vision Express is probably the best option. Though worth asking other stores. Regardless of where you get the glasses you can get your eyes tested where ever you want and take the prescription elsewhere.
Tesco for me were great - expected 1-2 weeks and did in 2-3 days very pleased
Delbert Grady

I wasn't recommending Specsavers as a good place to buy glasses and I … I wasn't recommending Specsavers as a good place to buy glasses and I wouldn't go back there myself, but I was just pointing out that some of their branches used to make them up in-store the same day, which is handy if you need a pair quickly, as the op does.

I was just giving my experience with Specsavers. A pair of glasses for my prescription took 2 weeks to order and then they broke it when fitting in the lens and it took another week to finally get it ready for pick up. Whereas Vision express was more expensive so I didn't choose them but they would have been ready for next day. So if he needs it quick, Vision express is the option. But of course, he can just go in and ask the shops we all mentioned.
+for Vision Express. I needed some prescription glasses made urgently as mine broke (need for driving). I went to Vision Express. The store I went to had a lab instore and told me they do one hour service. I went shopping and came back just after an hour and glasses were ready.
Glassesdirect
Slash

Strange I had 2 pairs at different times from my local Specsavers and got them within a week both times.
Could you get contact lenses whilst you wait?!

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants