EXPIRED

New HD LCD/PLASMA TV wanted from John Lewis

I'm getting married in a few weeks time, and getting a lot of vouchers for John Lewis to spend on a new TV. Probably looking to spend about £500/£600 on one, and hopefully looking for something 40" +.

Thing is i really don't know a lot about HD and what to look for in making sure I get a fairly good one. I know with my budget I'm not going to get something amazing, but any pointers, or recommendations would be great.

Would I need to spend a bit more to get one about the size I'm looking for?

Thanks!

6 Comments

Do you have, or are you likely to get within, say, the next 5-7 years, Sky HD or will you want to connect a Bluray player to it? If yes, then you will be best served with a 1080P TV although at around 40" or so the difference between one of those and a 1080i set while not substantial is noticeable. For this though you'll need to dig into your own pocket too as you're looking at £799 for a decent Sony set johnlewis.com/230…spx

The John Lewis product range at the lower end of the price range is not very good and you won't be able to save much by going for a 1080i set; the only real saving comes from a smaller screen size.

Couldn't you use the JL vouchers for something else and buy your TV elsewhere when affordable?

in five years it'll be 2014. 1080p will be something well past its best by then!
great if you have a blu ray or are thinking of getting one in the next year or so.

just get a tv that looks nice, it has a decent pic if you can view it in a store.
its within your price range and has enough connections to connect your existing equipment.

at the rate technology is evolving in TVs, five years is a hell of a long time.

slackrat77;4838120

in five years it'll be 2014. 1080p will be something well past its best … in five years it'll be 2014. 1080p will be something well past its best by then!great if you have a blu ray or are thinking of getting one in the next year or so.just get a tv that looks nice, it has a decent pic if you can view it in a store.its within your price range and has enough connections to connect your existing equipment.at the rate technology is evolving in TVs, five years is a hell of a long time.

I'm sure that something bigger and better will be along before 5-7 years have passed but, more importantly, a TV buyer is hardly likely to want to get rid of their set before it starts to fail. That wouldn't make good economic sense.

andythebrave;4838650

I'm sure that something bigger and better will be along before 5-7 years … I'm sure that something bigger and better will be along before 5-7 years have passed but, more importantly, a TV buyer is hardly likely to want to get rid of their set before it starts to fail. That wouldn't make good economic sense.

TV buyers upgrade all the time before their sets have started or actually failed.
they move TVs around the house, sell them on to get better ones etc.
I work in a Currys store and thats all I do all day, advise people on TVs & computers.

I've spent time with loads of people who have been misinformed about the merits of LCD over plasma and the NEED to have 1080p.

its going to move forward into 1440p in the not too distant future and LCD and plasma will still be the most affordable types of TV for most BUT OLED TV will be starting to filter through in the next few years.

I just think that in 5-7 years the way we watch TV will have dramatically altered and anyone wanting to buy a TV now in 2009 should consider what they need to equip themselves over the next 2-3 years not 5-7.
its another reason why I think that 5 year warranties on TVs (free or paid for) are a waste cos if you claim for your 2009 tv in say 2013, they aren't going to be able to find something of an equivalent spec and you'll be lucky to get any TV from the companies, it'll end up being vouchers or a partial refund based on length of time you've had the set.
I've been working with computers since Windows 95 days and its amazing how much things have changed since then.

Original Poster

I reckon we will be getting a blu ray player of somesorts when we get the TV, or shortly afterwards, but I am currently going from an old flat screen CRT television, so not really too fussed if I don't get the 1080p as it is out my price range just now. I'll keep checking back at the site in case any offes come up. Thanks for the info though.

the guys instore at john lewis tend to know there stuff
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
    2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
    3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions