New headmaster at one of Britain's worst schools tells parents children must be in bed by 9pm every night and up at 6.30am

Found 10th Sep 2017
Well done this headmaster!

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Dear families,

Great Yarmouth Charter Academy opened its doors to families on Wednesday, September 6.

Charter is not Great Yarmouth High School. Great Yarmouth High School was a failing school where, too often, pupil indiscipline was commonplace and many parents simply did not support the school.

In 2017 Great Yarmouth High School pupils had some of the worst GCSE results in the entire country.

In a typical class of 30 pupils, 21 pupils left the school without even a pass in English and maths.

Charter Academy is not Great Yarmouth High School. Charter Academy is a new school with a new headmaster.

Charter Academy is a new member of the Inspiration Trust and, as such, has huge resources and expertise behind it.

As the Headmaster of Charter Academy I cannot, I will not, allow the indiscipline, the disrespect, the failure, the bullying, the truancy and the lack of parental support, that were all a part of daily life at the former High School, to continue.

Parents let down their children when parents fail to support their education. As a Charter parent you must support the school 100%. 99% just won~t do.

At times you may think our approach inflexible, over strict, or unreasonable. But I ask that you trust us, and help your children succeed in ways you might never have imagined.

My job, as Headmaster of Charter Academy, is to ensure that teachers and pupils have a safe environment free from abuse, in which they can excel.

Your children~s job is to attend every day on time, follow all instructions first time every time, treat everyone they meet politely, and get the top grades they possibly can in everything they do.

Your job is to support their school and their education. By supporting us you support your children.

This could be the beginning of a whole new life full of possibilities for your children.

To make that happen we need your 100% support.

Below you will find a list of the most basic expectations at Charter. This is just the beginning.

A lot more detail will follow.

1. Traditional black school shoes in leather or leather look material. Children who do not meet our expectations regarding uniform and appearance will be placed in isolation.

2. No mobile phones on the school site. If a phone is seen or heard it will be confiscated.

3. Girls may wear one small plain gold stud in each earlobe only. No other piercings. No retainers. If ear rings do not conform they will be confiscated.

4. No chewing gum on site. If found with chewing gum pupils will be placed in isolation. Your children will avoid detentions, isolations, or confiscations if you are a supportive parent. The responsibility lies with you. We have a huge task ahead of us, but with your support we can offer all pupils their best possible future and the greatest choices in life.

Barry Smith

Headmaster

Great Yarmouth Charter Academy

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

You forgot to say...

SNOWFLAKES, THE LOT OF 'EM!!!!11eleven1!!

Bravo that head! My granddaughter was failing at school, she's quite bright but easily influenced. My daughter took her phone off her at night at 9pm. No snapchat, no YouTube, no pointless text messages all through the night. She started sleeping at night. She changed from the surly, rude teenager into a pleasant person. Her teachers commented on how much better she was doing.
So yes, a bit of discipline does go a long way. Kids do need sleep - who here doesn't?
The 6.30 am is probably so they get a breakfast before school.

A good idea...people just don't like to be told to do anything.
Edited by: "mrty" 11th Sep 2017

Pointless rule really.

Daily fail oh dear.......
67 Comments

Original Poster

Of course the minority of parents would rather not have this tough style that promotes a calm and purposeful school and learning environment.

Angry parents have now gone on to Facebook to vent their rage, creating a public group called Yarmouth High Worried Parents.

The group branded the school's new policies 'army like' - and is staging a meeting for incensed parents on Thursday (September 14).

It's easier to complain than have your children follow very basic and simple rules. Just waiting for the race card to be played at some point the the fella will be gone. Replaced by somebody who wants group therapy and group hugs. Were scoring 0% in an exam is still a pass.

Pointless rule really.

Wongy1104 m ago

He has to get his inspiration from somewhere.

You forgot to say...

SNOWFLAKES, THE LOT OF 'EM!!!!11eleven1!!

RossD894 m ago

You forgot to say...SNOWFLAKES, THE LOT OF 'EM!!!!11eleven1!!

That will come soon enough.

Predictable and would be boring if it wasn't so funny.

9pm sleep and waking up at 6.30am when lessons usually start at around 9am?

Just watching some of those tv police fly-on-the-wall documentaries and you know why the headmaster has found it necessary to send the parents this letter.

Parents not being able to discipline / control their kids
Parents leaving their kids home alone
Kids carrying knives into school

The list goes on

Yes it's not all parents but those who are doing the best they can are being let down by those that don't give a ****
Good kids are being made bad by the bad kids with peer pressure
Plus let's not forget that "we", who care about our kids education etc., have to be careful how we discipline our kids because the kids have rights too and because of previous lazy attitudes and failings by Child Protection Services (and similar organisations) they are more likely to over react.

Big respect to the head but I think his job will be difficult with todays society
Edited by: "philphil61" 10th Sep 2017

Banning phones at school would probably be more realistic.

CoeK1 h, 39 m ago

Pointless rule really.

Quite a few pointless rules in there in fact. Who knew having more than two earrings, having a phone or chewing chewing gum was the cause of failing one's English GCSE.

If only some brave soul would outlaw chewing gum and jewellery, the world would be a better place.
Edited by: "MSK." 11th Sep 2017

Graham19791 h, 54 m ago

...at some point the the fella will be gone... Were scoring 0% in an exam …...at some point the the fella will be gone... Were scoring 0% in an exam is still a pass.

Were you referring to an English Language examination?

31947255-2vpEM.jpg

MSK.11 m ago

Quite a few pointless rules in there in fact. Who knew having more than …Quite a few pointless rules in there in fact. Who knew having more than two earrings, having a phone or chewing chewing gum was the cause of failing one's English GCSE.If only some brave soul would outlaw chewing gum and jewellery, the world would be a better place.

I imagine some of the rules are about standards and respect which could improve school attitude and moral and in turn improve teaching standards and improve grades

StevenBrown8 m ago

I imagine some of the rules are about standards and respect which could …I imagine some of the rules are about standards and respect which could improve school attitude and moral and in turn improve teaching standards and improve grades

If only 30% of children are passing English, it sounds like they have much bigger problems to worry about. Enforcing such rules in my opinion is petty and a cop out. It teaches kids that their appearance is more important than how they perform.

There are better ways of gaining someone's respect. Oh wait, they weren't trying to gain respect were they, they were just demanding it from the people they have failed.

I don't see much that is any more draconian than the rules we had when I was at school. Mobile phones were not in existence then and I'm not sure how you could enforce bed by nine but it's all about discipline and respect.

Smh what a lil bitch.

Why not just strap a chain to them too

Bravo sir. I still shudder when I think of the last time I touched the Daily Mail. A paper written by bigots for bigots.

Of course parents dont like this, it requires them to have the ability to make their kids follow the rules.

MSK.51 m ago

If only 30% of children are passing English, it sounds like they have much …If only 30% of children are passing English, it sounds like they have much bigger problems to worry about. Enforcing such rules in my opinion is petty and a cop out. It teaches kids that their appearance is more important than how they perform. There are better ways of gaining someone's respect. Oh wait, they weren't trying to gain respect were they, they were just demanding it from the people they have failed.

My highschool was a failing school, its easy to tell teachers to do better, but when the students who are trying cant be helped because they have to deal with the kid who wont sit down, the one not even pretending to pay attention, the one swearing in their faces all at the same time, when are they supposed to help? In maths the group i was in (not even the bottom group in my year) i couldnt get help because the teacher was too busy stopping idiots. I remember watching a kid litterally roll a splif on the table and the teacher didnt notice because she was run ragged dealing with idiots on the other side of the class room.

My mum worked in a school and she would get told basic stuff that parents are supposed to do was her responsability by the parents, she would tell me stories of how parents would turn up and cause trouble if you disaplined their kids, tell some parents a kid has done something and they dont care, or want to beat the teacher up.

Schools fail for two reasons, yes teachers, but also the families that attend those schools.

catbeans17 m ago

My highschool was a failing school, its easy to tell teachers to do …My highschool was a failing school, its easy to tell teachers to do better, but when the students who are trying cant be helped because they have to deal with the kid who wont sit down, the one not even pretending to pay attention, the one swearing in their faces all at the same time, when are they supposed to help? In maths the group i was in (not even the bottom group in my year) i couldnt get help because the teacher was too busy stopping idiots. I remember watching a kid litterally roll a splif on the table and the teacher didnt notice because she was run ragged dealing with idiots on the other side of the class room.My mum worked in a school and she would get told basic stuff that parents are supposed to do was her responsability by the parents, she would tell me stories of how parents would turn up and cause trouble if you disaplined their kids, tell some parents a kid has done something and they dont care, or want to beat the teacher up.Schools fail for two reasons, yes teachers, but also the families that attend those schools.

I think that should have been a comment in it's own right, not a reply to me. It's interesting, but that's going off on quite a tangent from the point I was making.

A headmaster promoting common sense...no wonder the parents are up in arms (and no wonder the snowflakes are whinging about the Daily Mail reporting a story...wow they never get bored of it)

As I have found out the simple rule is:-

If you care about your child's education and future send them to a private school.

That letter didn't mention anything about bed times

The question is if all the parents did as told, then what results and good outcome would the headmaster put his salary on the line and what targets would be achieved? For example, would a pass be achieved for 70% to 80% in English and Maths or else his salary would be refunded ? If he couldn't commit to these targets and there was no reference to any specific benefits in his letter then why did he mention "100% and 99% just won't do.." without any impact to exam results? There is benefit from order and discipline but it should be made a target.

davewave1 h, 42 m ago

A headmaster promoting common sense...no wonder the parents are up in arms …A headmaster promoting common sense...no wonder the parents are up in arms (and no wonder the snowflakes are whinging about the Daily Mail reporting a story...wow they never get bored of it)

I think the point was that everyone is bored of it.

Schools sound more and more like prison or the army with all these stories of over strictness.

Let's scare the children into doing what we want as we are rubbish as parents and teachers... And they wonder why some people aren't happy with that? Backwards step!

CoeK27 m ago

I think the point was that everyone is bored of it.

Daily Mail is a newspaper....many people read it and it reports news...you may wish to read the Guardian or follow momentum raging and quote that newspaper or source and believe it has no bias...but it's equally as biased.

Just talk about the story rather than the source unless you can dispute that this event happened...otherwise its just snowflake bleating.

Thread created by Graham. Everyone else disagrees with his view... except Philphil61.

Nothing new here then.

davewave9 m ago

Daily Mail is a newspaper....many people read it and it reports news...you …Daily Mail is a newspaper....many people read it and it reports news...you may wish to read the Guardian or follow momentum raging and quote that newspaper or source and believe it has no bias...but it's equally as biased. Just talk about the story rather than the source unless you can dispute that this event happened...otherwise its just snowflake bleating.

Nah don't really fancy quoting any newspaper, especially not obsessively.

I'll talk about whatever I like, freedom of speech and all that.

The people who mention snowflake the most are by far the most delicate people on here, snowflake is probably the wrong word for them though, snowflakes melt they don't crack.

DT894 m ago

Thread created by Graham. Everyone else disagrees with his view... except …Thread created by Graham. Everyone else disagrees with his view... except Philphil61.Nothing new here then.

I believe Dave also agrees. However Philphil and Dave can at least spell and write a post that isn't full of spelling errors and rage.

davewave15 m ago

Daily Mail is a newspaper....many people read it and it reports news...you …Daily Mail is a newspaper....many people read it and it reports news...you may wish to read the Guardian or follow momentum raging and quote that newspaper or source and believe it has no bias...but it's equally as biased. Just talk about the story rather than the source unless you can dispute that this event happened...otherwise its just snowflake bleating.

Dear Dave, the source of a story is relevant as it adds or detracts credibility.
For instance (and this is purely hypothetical), citing a kkk website would probably not be a credible source for a story about an alleged crime committed by a Jew.

Destard1 m ago

Dear Dave, the source of a story is relevant as it adds or detracts …Dear Dave, the source of a story is relevant as it adds or detracts credibility.For instance (and this is purely hypothetical), citing a kkk website would probably not be a credible source for a story about an alleged crime committed by a Jew.

False equivalence...as expected.

davewave55 s ago

Very true. The KKK haven't dropped their standards that far.

chocci1 h, 55 m ago

That letter didn't mention anything about bed times

Supposedly there is also an internal school memo which has been leaked.

davewave1 m ago

So you dismiss the concept of credible news sources Dave?

Isn't the glaringly obvious point here that the school can't enforce the rule mentioned in the title? Why bother adding rules when you can't even enforce existing rules?

CoeK12 m ago

Isn't the glaringly obvious point here that the school can't enforce the …Isn't the glaringly obvious point here that the school can't enforce the rule mentioned in the title? Why bother adding rules when you can't even enforce existing rules?

Because some parents need a lot of guidance due to their own poor upbringing.

davewave5 m ago

Because some parents need a lot of guidance due to their own poor …Because some parents need a lot of guidance due to their own poor upbringing.

Yes I'm sure little Timmys parents didn't realise he wasn't allowed to smoke and take a knife to school. But now that they realise they will confiscate those items and send him off to bed at 9pm and get him up at 6.30am, give him a healthy breakfast and send him on his way to school with a spring in his step... After this little Timmy will stop bullying his classmates, punching his teacher and disrupting the class and will become a model pupil

TBH, whilst obviously its a Graham thread so its 90% nonsense - I do applaud any move to make parents more responsible for their children and their education, rather than always blaming a "failing" school.

As others have said its impossible to enforce and these are not new issues, these were issues when I was at school in the early 90s.

Failing schools in areas of mass employment are not helped by a large percentage of the parents not partaking at all in any part of their child's education.

Unfortunately letters, rules and fines have all been tried for years and years and have yet to break the cycle, as well as millions on new schools/academies in areas of "failing" schools.

Unfortunately one letter and a head that think he has cracked the answer will not solve an issue which goes far deeper than a set of earings and a mobile phone...

the snowflakes that read the Daily Mail and mutter things like "t'was better in my day" will hold this headteacher up as a saviour... lets see how the results are in a couple of years

joanddan72 m ago

TBH, whilst obviously its a Graham thread so its 90% nonsense - I do …TBH, whilst obviously its a Graham thread so its 90% nonsense - I do applaud any move to make parents more responsible for their children and their education, rather than always blaming a "failing" school.As others have said its impossible to enforce and these are not new issues, these were issues when I was at school in the early 90s. Failing schools in areas of mass employment are not helped by a large percentage of the parents not partaking at all in any part of their child's education. Unfortunately letters, rules and fines have all been tried for years and years and have yet to break the cycle, as well as millions on new schools/academies in areas of "failing" schools.Unfortunately one letter and a head that think he has cracked the answer will not solve an issue which goes far deeper than a set of earings and a mobile phone...the snowflakes that read the Daily Mail and mutter things like "t'was better in my day" will hold this headteacher up as a saviour... lets see how the results are in a couple of years

While I agree with much of that, I still think mobile phones shouldn't be allowed in schools - or at least not in lessons anyway.
Edited by: "Bestard" 11th Sep 2017

Destard28 m ago

Dear Dave, the source of a story is relevant as it adds or detracts …Dear Dave, the source of a story is relevant as it adds or detracts credibility.For instance (and this is purely hypothetical), citing a kkk website would probably not be a credible source for a story about an alleged crime committed by a Jew.

It is also accepted in law that different sources/outlets have varying degrees of credibility...

Daily Mail is up there with back of toilet door and "read it in a forum" as factual sources...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions