New home - carpet cleaning tips

Found 20th Dec 2017Edited by:"bisha"
Hi All,

We just got the keys to our new home and though the previous owners have left most things in good condition there is an overwhelming dog smell as you enter the house(we dont have pets and am expecting a baby soon).. We have a vax carpet cleaner so am going to tackle the carpets ourselves rather than get a rug doctor.. Have hovered and applied neutradol overnight..
Any recommendations for cleaning liquids? I was thinking of going for the pro kleen 5l bottles as opposed to vax as they seem to have good reviews.. and are the pre-treat liquids any good?

Also has anyone tried the rug doctor detergent on vax machine and is it worth the extra price?
Community Updates
Ask
36 Comments
32843026-MevaR.jpg
I've used screwfix own brand before and it worked very well
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 20th Dec 2017
I like just a tiny bit of biological washing powder on cat puke stains. Lifts them and the smell, but it's a dangerous game. Too much powder and it's hard to get up and can make the carpet feel a bit claggy.
I've used the pro kleen 5l bottles in my carpet cleaner and it was fine. Much cheaper than branded ones, although it doesn't have Scotchguard in it.
Flamethrower
Don't want to upset you but it may not just be the carpets ...if the dog was kept inside a lot it may have peed on the
carpets, which in turn seeped thru to the floorboards underneath ( I know this because when I bought my present house the owners had let a dog pee all over the carpet in one room for a month - don't even ask what the smell was like ).
we had to rip up the carpet, let the boards dry out then sand them down . Hope yours is easy to remove .
Alfsmum18 m ago

Don't want to upset you but it may not just be the carpets ...if the dog …Don't want to upset you but it may not just be the carpets ...if the dog was kept inside a lot it may have peed on the carpets, which in turn seeped thru to the floorboards underneath ( I know this because when I bought my present house the owners had let a dog pee all over the carpet in one room for a month - don't even ask what the smell was like ).we had to rip up the carpet, let the boards dry out then sand them down . Hope yours is easy to remove .

oops that sounds scary .. we weren't planning to look under the carpets and obviously its better to overall clean the carpets before we start moving the furniture in
psychobitchfromhell32 m ago

I've used screwfix own brand before and it worked very well

thnx - will take a look
Uilleam1733 m ago

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Carpets Lots of sites now mention white …https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Carpets Lots of sites now mention white vinegar as a deodorant and stain remover

I have tried the natural methods on our rented carpets and must admit it didn't do a lot.. Think the 1st round has to be done using chemicals and then vinegar might be an option I can retry...
MSK.32 m ago

I like just a tiny bit of biological washing powder on cat puke stains. …I like just a tiny bit of biological washing powder on cat puke stains. Lifts them and the smell, but it's a dangerous game. Too much powder and it's hard to get up and can make the carpet feel a bit claggy.

the vax carpet cleaner sucks up the liquids pretty well .. so if i run out of the cleaners I guess that's a tip worth keeping in mind - thnx!
I am thinking between the pro clean or the screwfix 5l bottles as they have decent reviews for the price .. Has anyone tried the rug doctor cleaner liquids on vax machine and is it worth the extra price?
Edited by: "bisha" 20th Dec 2017
Is it a musky dog smell, or a wee smell?
You can get urine spray (to deal with...not spray urine haha) that has specific stuff in it that reacts with the long lasting stinky biological stuff. I used it with cat pee and it was brill. Maybe try that and then clean if it’s pee smell rather than just musty dog.
bisha1 h, 11 m ago

Is it this one? the 5l bottle? …Is it this one? the 5l bottle? https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-carpet-cleaning-detergent-5ltr/70509

That's the one. Gets good reviews
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload1 h, 18 m ago

Is it a musky dog smell, or a wee smell?

I don't think its the wee smell - its just the smell that comes from pets when not shampooed for a while - but cant be sure...
I use Zoflora in my vax to freshen up, I also usd it near sprayed on my carpet when my little one had an accident and it took the smell straight out, try that?
Edited by: "wingmirror" 20th Dec 2017
bluep41 m ago

You can get urine spray (to deal with...not spray urine haha) that has …You can get urine spray (to deal with...not spray urine haha) that has specific stuff in it that reacts with the long lasting stinky biological stuff. I used it with cat pee and it was brill. Maybe try that and then clean if it’s pee smell rather than just musty dog.

do you remember which one you used? can see a couple online .. Actually I think these are more for spot application ? Not for entire carpets when I have no idea where it might be coming from...
wingmirror4 m ago

I use Zoflora in my vax to freshen up, I also usd it near sprayed on my …I use Zoflora in my vax to freshen up, I also usd it near sprayed on my carpet when my little one had an accident and it took the smell straight out, try that?

yes I've experimented that along with vinegar before - It didn't really work with old smells (at least didn't help with the brown grubby carpets we had at our rented place)
bisha19 m ago

I don't think its the wee smell - its just the smell that comes from pets …I don't think its the wee smell - its just the smell that comes from pets when not shampooed for a while - but cant be sure...

That helps. Because then you're dealing with the more normal body oils, skin flakes and fur, etc, as opposed to all that AND urine, and as Alfmum pointed out, with urine, it will probably be a deep soak thing.
Get a dog, then you won’t smell
bisha23 m ago

do you remember which one you used? can see a couple online .. Actually I …do you remember which one you used? can see a couple online .. Actually I think these are more for spot application ? Not for entire carpets when I have no idea where it might be coming from...

I think it was called urineoff. We used a whole bottle on quite a big area but yeah not best for whole carpets...night help if you have particular corners that won’t stop stinking.
You can hire a carpet cleaner from your local dry cleaners / Morrisons for maybe £40. It will get deeper into the carpet like to remove dirt, grime and smells. Amazing the difference it will make!
bluep22 m ago

I think it was called urineoff. We used a whole bottle on quite a big …I think it was called urineoff. We used a whole bottle on quite a big area but yeah not best for whole carpets...night help if you have particular corners that won’t stop stinking.

Urineoff, on the same shelf as V I Poo ?
Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over dry carpet, leave for as long as possible. It will absorb liquid or residues whilst neutralising the smell. Hoover it up and voila!
I have potty trained 3 boys and we have carpet down too. Always my go to cleaner!
charlyskingle5 m ago

Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over dry carpet, leave for as long as …Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over dry carpet, leave for as long as possible. It will absorb liquid or residues whilst neutralising the smell. Hoover it up and voila! I have potty trained 3 boys and we have carpet down too. Always my go to cleaner!

Where's your favourite supplier for bicarb? Mine's the local Chinese wholesale supermarket, where they do about 2-3kg for £2
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload3 m ago

Where's your favourite supplier for bicarb? Mine's the local Chinese …Where's your favourite supplier for bicarb? Mine's the local Chinese wholesale supermarket, where they do about 2-3kg for £2

I just buy a small box from wilko whenever I’m in there. It’s cheap enough for an all purpose cleaner
charlyskingle38 s ago

I just buy a small box from wilko whenever I’m in there. It’s cheap enough …I just buy a small box from wilko whenever I’m in there. It’s cheap enough for an all purpose cleaner

Thank you :o)
Rug doctor + screw fix carpet cleaner=happy
Edited by: "Adam786123" 21st Dec 2017
Carpet cleaning will help, but to really get rid of the stink get one of these switch on and shut the door and leave for two hours smell gone.
DKLS2 m ago

Carpet cleaning will help, but to really get rid of the stink get one of …Carpet cleaning will help, but to really get rid of the stink get one of these switch on and shut the door and leave for two hours smell gone.

That's supercool. I read about them a decade ago. Didn't know they'd became so cheap. Have you used one?
ReturnOfTheLindtOverload6 m ago

That's supercool. I read about them a decade ago. Didn't know they'd …That's supercool. I read about them a decade ago. Didn't know they'd became so cheap. Have you used one?

Bought one after buying a used car and it stank of dog, didn't realise on the test drive, took all the seats out shampooed the carpets and seats, I spent hours cleaning the thing and the smell came back, asked the guy down the road who is a valeter and he said buy one.

Saved me money as well, the Mrs likes nice smells, so used to spend a fortune on plugins and room sprays, with the ozone box no need.
Superb. Thank you.
DKLS3 m ago

Bought one after buying a used car and it stank of dog, didn't realise on …Bought one after buying a used car and it stank of dog, didn't realise on the test drive, took all the seats out shampooed the carpets and seats, I spent hours cleaning the thing and the smell came back, asked the guy down the road who is a valeter and he said buy one.Saved me money as well, the Mrs likes nice smells, so used to spend a fortune on plugins and room sprays, with the ozone box no need.

Superb. Thank you. :o)
charlyskingle12 h, 0 m ago

Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over dry carpet, leave for as long as …Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over dry carpet, leave for as long as possible. It will absorb liquid or residues whilst neutralising the smell. Hoover it up and voila! I have potty trained 3 boys and we have carpet down too. Always my go to cleaner!

Interesting - I've tried this on the oven and general hob cleaning etc - but never realised they do bigger packs as you probably need a lot for carpet . Can see they do it on amazon.. Already applied neutradol so will keep this tip for trying out next time... I do normally try to stick with fairy ,eco egg or natural products like vinegar/soda for my cleaning
Edited by: "bisha" 21st Dec 2017
DKLS1 h, 26 m ago

Carpet cleaning will help, but to really get rid of the stink get one of …Carpet cleaning will help, but to really get rid of the stink get one of these switch on and shut the door and leave for two hours smell gone.

never heard of one b4 so thanks for mentioning it.. a bit more expensive compared to the cleaners I had in mind but yes going by the reviews its something I will try out if the cleaners fail... thnx for that!
bisha22 m ago

never heard of one b4 so thanks for mentioning it.. a bit more expensive …never heard of one b4 so thanks for mentioning it.. a bit more expensive compared to the cleaners I had in mind but yes going by the reviews its something I will try out if the cleaners fail... thnx for that!

Neither had I until the valeting dude mentioned it, was skeptical but desperate to get rid of the stink after running out of ideas other than selling the car but it worked a treat and has earned its keep.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants