New home purchase insurance and boiler cover

Posted 26th Nov
Dear HUD people, we are nearly at the end of our new home purchase and i was hoping you all could help.

I know we have to take a home insurance but any recommendation on Boiler cover and are there any other things that we need to secure before our purchase and move into the property without any worries?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Is it a new build? All new boilers would be covered for the first year some have 2 year warranty if im not mistaken
adeljay9226/11/2019 12:41

Is it a new build? All new boilers would be covered for the first year …Is it a new build? All new boilers would be covered for the first year some have 2 year warranty if im not mistaken

Its not a new build. I think the boiler fitted at the moment is about 7 years old.
Wilzia26/11/2019 12:44

Its not a new build. I think the boiler fitted at the moment is about 7 …Its not a new build. I think the boiler fitted at the moment is about 7 years old.

Put £30 a month into a savings account, instead of insurance.
I'm similar our purchase will be complete in a month or so and have been debating whether to get some boiler cover.
I was thinking just do PAYG type thing and pay when it breaks but then I see a co worker who's boiler packed in last week and has to wait 2 weeks for someone to fit him in and then he looking at over 5k.
Buy saying that I hate throwing good money away on something that might not happen for 10 years :/
Edited by: "stefromuk" 26th Nov
Wilzia26/11/2019 12:44

Its not a new build. I think the boiler fitted at the moment is about 7 …Its not a new build. I think the boiler fitted at the moment is about 7 years old.

I heard british gas are good with there boiler cover.
If you can switch your gas electric supply to British gas , they have a tariff called energy plus which gives home care. £100 excess for heating , £60 for electrical/plumbing
stefromuk26/11/2019 12:57

I'm similar our purchase will be complete in a month or so and have been …I'm similar our purchase will be complete in a month or so and have been debating whether to get some boiler cover.I was thinking just do PAYG type thing and pay when it breaks but then I see a co worker who's boiler packed in last week and has to wait 2 weeks for someone to fit him in and then he looking at over 5k.Buy saying that I have throwing good money away on something that might not happen for 10 years :/

That is very true, I the other hand I want peace of mind for at least another 2 years before I could think of pay as u go option. Thanks for u suggestion, and good luck on your new purchase
stefromuk26/11/2019 12:57

I'm similar our purchase will be complete in a month or so and have been …I'm similar our purchase will be complete in a month or so and have been debating whether to get some boiler cover.I was thinking just do PAYG type thing and pay when it breaks but then I see a co worker who's boiler packed in last week and has to wait 2 weeks for someone to fit him in and then he looking at over 5k.Buy saying that I have throwing good money away on something that might not happen for 10 years :/

The price there is quite extreme. My friend has just had a quote to swap the old boiler for a new one - £1600.
Pandamansays26/11/2019 13:40

The price there is quite extreme. My friend has just had a quote to swap …The price there is quite extreme. My friend has just had a quote to swap the old boiler for a new one - £1600.

Yeah I was just reading the reply then and realised that wasn't the right amount and it was something like £2000.
That's what I get for rushing.
Halifax home insurance and get the extra home emergency cover fur £3 a month

The cover is brilliant, I’ve just starred it in my new house after using it for 11 years
take out homecare cover with british gas after you have moved in as they will need to come round and inspect the boiler before they can take you on. they also offer plumbing and drains cover with homecare, which is very good value.
I second home care with British Gas. Can’t fault them.

Been through a boiler replacement before. Sometimes it isn’t a straight swap over. We’ve had floorboards up for days which added to the overall replacement cost. With a boiler that age I would protect it now.
Edited by: "keelybin" 27th Nov
mutley126/11/2019 23:52

take out homecare cover with british gas after you have moved in as they …take out homecare cover with british gas after you have moved in as they will need to come round and inspect the boiler before they can take you on. they also offer plumbing and drains cover with homecare, which is very good value.

Brilliant, thank you. Very helpful
keelybin27/11/2019 05:58

I second home care with British Gas. Can’t fault them.Been through a b …I second home care with British Gas. Can’t fault them.Been through a boiler replacement before. Sometimes it isn’t a straight swap over. We’ve had floorboards up for days which added to the overall replacement cost. With a boiler that age I would protect it now.

Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions