New house layout - change?

Found 29th Aug 2017
Hi,

weve reserved a new house, which we love, but the pownstairs layout is annoying me. It's a double fronted house but with a built in garage, behind the garage is a utility, downstairs toilet and store room. These effectively take up 1/3 of the downstairs space. The house has been built and the developer won't make any changes which I appreciate.

My thoughts were to remove the utility, the cupboard and hopefully the downstairs toilet (and put it beneath the stairs (would these be stupidly expensive?). If I could do this it would make the kitchen significantly bigger.

i could then look at taking some of the garage space as a self contained utility, and putting bi-folding doors where the current patio doors and utility external door is.

Am i stupid for doing this to a new house?

Would you do the work, or is there another option I'm missing? Thanks Dan

2776703-U3zFN.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
the ?wall between dining and utility does not look like a load baring one...
do you mean you want to move the toilet to under the stairs? and then make the garage into a utility room and storage?

a lot of new build now has an internal garage, which i think is really silly.
Your house looks fine, I would probably drop in an island and build an extension out the back for a dining room.
What you are describing is exactly the layout I have in my new build. My stairs go up on a dog leg which means I can have both a cupboard a d downstairs loo under them but otherwise I think it is a very sensible layout. I like it a lot
It's possible but it is a relatively big job.

What is the floor construction? You will need to get under there to run the plumbing (both supply and waste) and to reroute the radiator pipework. If it is a suspended block floor these can be difficult to get under. The existing wc is an external wall so most likely the soil pipe is on that corner of the house - you will need to run a 110mm waste pipe from the centre of the house to this corner and then need to excavate outside to expose the drains for a new tie-in.

The internal wall you want to remove most likely isn't load bearing (but you would need to check to be safe). The external wall between the french windows and the back door is load bearing - you will to remove two lintels and replace with one if you want to span this distance with bifold doors. This is not a job you should do yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing

I personally would not do it. It is a lot of hassle and expense! When I was younger I wanted bigger houses, bigger rooms, more bathrooms etc but as I've got older I had to question myself why? As long as the house is big enough for the no. of residents, the room is big enough for the use then I'm happy. Too big just creates additional problems - more heating and more furniture/decorations to buy!
psychobitchfromhell50 m ago

What you are describing is exactly the layout I have in my new build. My …What you are describing is exactly the layout I have in my new build. My stairs go up on a dog leg which means I can have both a cupboard a d downstairs loo under them but otherwise I think it is a very sensible layout. I like it a lot

Are you going to sue the dog, that gave the design for your stairs, for compensation?

philphil6120 m ago

Are you going to sue the dog, that gave the design for your stairs, for …Are you going to sue the dog, that gave the design for your stairs, for compensation?

Too damn true. They are about an inch off true which bugs the holy bejesus out of me. The stress that has caused is immeasurable.
'These effectively take up 1/3 of the downstairs space'

More like about 1/8th! A lot of work and hassle and expense which will leave you a bit more room in your dining area but zero storage space. Probably de-valuing the property at the same time. A toilet under the stairs is just wrong imho..

After a few months of living there, you'll be grateful of the store cupboard.
Edited by: "chocci" 29th Aug 2017
chocci2 h, 34 m ago

'These effectively take up 1/3 of the downstairs space'More like about …'These effectively take up 1/3 of the downstairs space'More like about 1/8th! A lot of work and hassle and expense which will leave you a bit more room in your dining area but zero storage space. Probably de-valuing the property at the same time. A toilet under the stairs is just wrong imho..After a few months of living there, you'll be grateful of the store cupboard.

Looks like a 3rd to me... the whole of the garage plus t'other rooms Op is talking about

Nope, I wouldn't change the ground floor. We have a double integral garage, you would be amazed how much 'stuff' you can hide in those, plus one of the garages has now been converted to a study.
Edited by: "Splodger101" 29th Aug 2017
If you don't like the layout on a new build from the outset possibly its not the home for you..?

But if its past the stage where your now committed and the builders won't change the layout (its probably too late for them to change anything due to building warrant(s)) I'd persevere with it as is, you may find you become accustomed to the layout and like it!

After time you may decide you need to change the layout, but as has been said, it wont be cheap, possibly better to extend and make the layout better as opposed to changing the layout as such...?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions