New house - not left secured by builder

Found 25th Jan
Hi,

i moved into a new build property just before Christmas. However when we picked up the keys there were no side gates to the house so anyone could walk around the side of it.

i was told by the estate agent that there would be gates there but don’t have anything in writing.

I had to pay for gates to be installed myself but was going to write to the builder with a copy of the invoice asking for the money back. Ive since found out other properties on the development (only 7 houses) have had gates installed at no cost to the owners. Is there any law in place that would make the developer have to leave the property in a secure state?

Thanks
borat1234
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
welcome to the world of new build, your next 2 years will involve a lot of phone calls and arguments with the developer.

Who is the builder, i had the pleasure of Harron Homes.
Biggest Tips.
1. Talk to the neighbours, they will have had issues and chances are you have the same ones but havent noticed yet
2. Keep on at them, when they say they will call you back in an hour, they wont. So call them
3. Dont get too stressed, at the end of the day you have a nice house.
jimhuf4 m ago

welcome to the world of new build, your next 2 years will involve a lot of …welcome to the world of new build, your next 2 years will involve a lot of phone calls and arguments with the developer. Who is the builder, i had the pleasure of Harron Homes. Biggest Tips. 1. Talk to the neighbours, they will have had issues and chances are you have the same ones but havent noticed yet 2. Keep on at them, when they say they will call you back in an hour, they wont. So call them 3. Dont get too stressed, at the end of the day you have a nice house.

I second this, plus keep copies of all letters. Avoid phone calls - emails are good way of keeping a record.
Is there any law in place that would make the developer have to leave the property in a secure state? NO,
But you could look at the planning application to see if gates were supposed to be fitted too the side.
There's nothing requiring the builder to do anything of the sort.

This is a civil matter, and your dispute is with the people you agreed the purchase with.
I've got a two year old house. I didn't get a gate. I bought one for £30 out of wickes and fitted it myself. Took about half an hour.
Did you not contact the builder to ask about gates before sourcing your own? As the builder will just laugh at you when you ask them for the money if you haven’t bothered to ask?
mrty4 h, 27 m ago

I second this, plus keep copies of all letters. Avoid phone calls - emails …I second this, plus keep copies of all letters. Avoid phone calls - emails are good way of keeping a record.

Good suggestion make sure you have everything in black and white had a problem when I asked about it stated they never said that sent them a copy of the email they send me the silence was deafening
mds12563 h, 10 m ago

Did you not contact the builder to ask about gates before sourcing your …Did you not contact the builder to ask about gates before sourcing your own? As the builder will just laugh at you when you ask them for the money if you haven’t bothered to ask?

Yes asked the builder to provide he said it’s not something they’d do. I moved in on the 21st of December and have a very small dog, needed the rear garden to be secure for that reason. So didn’t really have time to shop around and get the best price.
I think leaving the property in a secure state applies to having locks on the doors not a gate. The builders offered me a free gate in return for a review in the nhbc site. I put my own up because I wasn't going to be pressurised into anything. You may find your neighbours were offered something like that or they put the gates on as an incentive to secure the sale. I got a free fence that way once. I don't think you'll get far trying to invoice the builders after the event unless you have it in writing there should be one.
as others have said, not having a gate is not leaving the property insecure. unless you have documentation to show that there should have been a gate, you won't be able to claim.

even if you did find documentation, you would have had to give the builder reasonable time to address the issue, which would not have worked for you as you had a dog and so could not have waited.
borat123431 m ago

Yes asked the builder to provide he said it’s not something they’d do. I mo …Yes asked the builder to provide he said it’s not something they’d do. I moved in on the 21st of December and have a very small dog, needed the rear garden to be secure for that reason. So didn’t really have time to shop around and get the best price.

I moved into a new build 3 years ago. Phase 2 of the estate of 380 houses, the 1st phase never got gates and had just 3 foot fences. 2nd phase for 6 foot fences and gates.

they can change the finish when ever they want. Guess if it’s not written down then nothing you can do really, pray for good will ha
It is usually an extra for tall fences/gates. Did you receive a brochure and contract as to what you bought? I am assuming of course this is a brand new home?
Good luck with this. Our first property was a new build and we didn't get fencing or a gate regardless of how much I tried to negotiate with them. In the end we had to fit it all ourselves. We are now in our second new build property and this developer gave us everything we wanted but I would never buy a new build again
We have just reserved a house in November which is due to be finished in May. In all our documents it doesn’t actually state about a gate which I will ask the question Monday.

Regarding fences etc, upon paying a reservation I agreed with the builders that we would only reserve if we got the upgraded fences (6ft instead of 4ft), lawn front and back and our stamp duty paid of £1830, which due to the budget change in first time buyers paying it, I told them we wanted that money used a house upgrades l, which they agreed.

To anyone out there, there are allsorts of incentives available so haggle!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants