New HP Laptop got very slow

Found 17th Feb
Hi I purchased HP laptop around a month back.
hotukdeals.com/dea…747

Have very little use mostly web browsing. This week suddenly it is getting very slow and most of the time it is at 100% memory use (4GB RAM) without any processes open. Can you suggest what should I disable? HP assist?

Thanks in advancce
Community Updates
AskElectronics
13 Comments
This happened to my hp when I owned one I uninstalled Microsoft office and it was fast again! So maybe one of your recent applications might be causing the slowdown ? Was the case for me
Open task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and check processes. If you click memory at the top it’ll list what’s using the most. Might help diagnose.
Does the laptop have 4GB as you state or 8GB like the one in the deal?
Original Poster
mine is 4GB sorry.
Do clean install. Hp laptops come with too many crapware.
The first two replies are worth heeding. MS Office (even a trial version) runs a service called "Microsoft Office Click to Run" which is used for various automated Office tasks. It is not mandatory and it is very RAM and hard disk intensive. Remove it from Windows Services (launch Services.msc to launch Service Manager, locate it in the list of services and disable it).

The mention of using Task Manager is invaluable in detecting these issues. Sort the list of tasks by clicking on the relevant columns to determine the most CPU intensive tasks, RAM intensive tasks, hard disk intensive tasks and so on. This will enable you to identify tasks that are troublesome and in many cases, these tasks can be removed from Windows Startup (in Task Manager, click the StartUp tab) or remove from Windows Services.

For more detailed diagnostics from within Task Manager, click the Performance tab and then click the Open Resource Monitor link.
It doesn’t help that you bought a version with a spinning disc rather than an SSD. That will also make it slow.
dhanepud9 h, 41 m ago

mine is 4GB sorry.

So what laptop did you buy? Could be that it just isn't a very quick laptop.
MIDURIX1 h, 16 m ago

So what laptop did you buy? Could be that it just isn't a very quick …So what laptop did you buy? Could be that it just isn't a very quick laptop.

the OP has the link to the laptop that was bought in the original post. looks decent enough from my limited knowledge of pc.
I have heard people say HP laptops are not great in comparison to other makes.
mutley19 m ago

the OP has the link to the laptop that was bought in the original post. …the OP has the link to the laptop that was bought in the original post. looks decent enough from my limited knowledge of pc.I have heard people say HP laptops are not great in comparison to other makes.

They don't though. That one has 8GB and the laptop they have has 4GB.
MIDURIX19 m ago

They don't though. That one has 8GB and the laptop they have has 4GB.

the OP states that they bought the laptop from the deal posted so either they have mistakenly read their RAM details or they were shafted with an inferior spec machine, which is unlikely as the deal was with Currys.

sounds like they bought a similar machine to the one posted but with an inferior spec. but 4GB RAM shouldn't be slow. i have this on my lenovo laptop and the laptop is very fast.
mutley126 m ago

the OP states that they bought the laptop from the deal posted so either …the OP states that they bought the laptop from the deal posted so either they have mistakenly read their RAM details or they were shafted with an inferior spec machine, which is unlikely as the deal was with Currys.sounds like they bought a similar machine to the one posted but with an inferior spec. but 4GB RAM shouldn't be slow. i have this on my lenovo laptop and the laptop is very fast.

Well it isn't, so that's why I asked what laptop they had instead of guessing. It's already a low voltage i5 as it stands with a mechanical drive, 4GB is not going to help. 4GB can be plenty unless you have loads of tabs open, so as stated earlier by someone else, checking what processes are eating memory when the laptop gets sluggish might get give some idea what's going wrong.
mutley11 h, 30 m ago

the OP states that they bought the laptop from the deal posted so either …the OP states that they bought the laptop from the deal posted so either they have mistakenly read their RAM details or they were shafted with an inferior spec machine, which is unlikely as the deal was with Currys.sounds like they bought a similar machine to the one posted but with an inferior spec. but 4GB RAM shouldn't be slow. i have this on my lenovo laptop and the laptop is very fast.

Oh Curry’s can shaft you. When you have a shelf full of generic laptop boxes. It’s easy to pick up the wrong model.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions