Groups

New i5 Gaming PC

Got some Christmas pennies to spend on a new gaming PC. After considering many options I've got it down to the following

Intel Core i5 i5-4690K CPU (Quad Core 3.5GHz Processor, 6MB Cache, Intel HD 4600 Graphics, Socket H3 LGA-1150) - £167.50

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) - £25.78

LG BH16NS40.AUAR10B 16x SATA Internal BD-RW Retail Kit - £56.20

Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU - £62.99

Asus Z97-PRO WI-FI AC ATX Motherboard - £141.54

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black - £66.98

(I have a Zalman Z11 Plus case, SSD, 3TB HDD and Windows license already). Does the above sound OK and is there any significant price saving buying any of the components elsewhere than Amazon? (I'm currently on a free trial of the Prime delivery so that isn't an issue). Please note I would get £40 cashback between the CPU and motherboard due to the TopTechCashback promotion which expires in a couple of days.

Thanks and merry christmas!

17 Comments

A GPU maybe!? GTX970

Also any reason why this mobo? The Asus Z97-P is less than £70 and still qualities for the £40 cashback and should cover everything most people need.

I have a PC which I believe will be a lot better than what you are proposing. The parts at todays prices will cost you around the £800 mark. It comes with a Dell 21.5 touchscreen monitor that is about 4 mths old. I am asking £400 for it. If you are interested let me know and I will give you the full specs.

Original Poster

Sorry forgot to mention someone at work sold me his Palit Geforce GTX 760 for £100, which he assured me is a good card!

Again the motherboard was recommended to me, the built in WiFi looked good too especially since I have an Asus router!

johncas

Sorry forgot to mention someone at work sold me his Palit Geforce GTX 760 … Sorry forgot to mention someone at work sold me his Palit Geforce GTX 760 for £100, which he assured me is a good card!Again the motherboard was recommended to me, the built in WiFi looked good too especially since I have an Asus router!

Depending how enthusiastic you are about PC gaming, the 760 isn't brilliant. It's mid-range at best and and will give you decent framerates at medium-high settings. If you want all of the bells and whistles turned on I suggest spending a little more and going with the 970.
    Edited by: "GoatzRus" 25th Dec 2014

gaming computer without a decent graphics card isn't really any good for gaming..

johncas

Sorry forgot to mention someone at work sold me his Palit Geforce GTX 760 … Sorry forgot to mention someone at work sold me his Palit Geforce GTX 760 for £100, which he assured me is a good card!Again the motherboard was recommended to me, the built in WiFi looked good too especially since I have an Asus router!

Ah Ok. A GTX760 is an acceptable card for 1080p gaming.

I'm not sure spending an extra £70-£75 for wifi is worth the extra, unless there are other features you need. If you need wifi you could add a card. Hardened games would never play over wifi.

But you could sell on the GTX760 buy the cheaper mobo and ditch the optical drive and be able to get a GTX970?

The Bluray drive seems a waste, unless you really need it for burning disks?

Graphics card is mid-range, it will play all games with reasonable FPS though. £100 you may have been better with a second-hand GTX 670. doesn't seem like a great deal for a mate.

You should be able to find the RAM and PSU cheaper than that?

Also save yourself some money and get a cheaper motherboard! Really that is over the top for your needs.

Maybe with the savings add a sound card? I never though one would make so much difference. When I bought a Sound Blaster Z I was amazed at the quality! I was hearing sounds in games that I'd never previous heard.

Edited by: "joshp" 25th Dec 2014

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Ah Ok. A GTX760 is an acceptable card for 1080p gaming. I'm not sure … Ah Ok. A GTX760 is an acceptable card for 1080p gaming. I'm not sure spending an extra £70-£75 for wifi is worth the extra, unless there are other features you need. If you need wifi you could add a card. Hardened games would never play over wifi.But you could sell on the GTX760 buy the cheaper mobo and ditch the optical drive and be able to get a GTX970?

If you are looking to game wifi is pointless. Run a proper lan cable. Sell the 760 and spend the extra on a better gfx card.

st8mike

I have a PC which I believe will be a lot better than what you are … I have a PC which I believe will be a lot better than what you are proposing. The parts at todays prices will cost you around the £800 mark. It comes with a Dell 21.5 touchscreen monitor that is about 4 mths old. I am asking £400 for it. If you are interested let me know and I will give you the full specs.

st8mike

I have a PC which I believe will be a lot better than what you are … I have a PC which I believe will be a lot better than what you are proposing. The parts at todays prices will cost you around the £800 mark. It comes with a Dell 21.5 touchscreen monitor that is about 4 mths old. I am asking £400 for it. If you are interested let me know and I will give you the full specs.

Hi
    Let me know the details, I maybe interested

WELCOME TO THE PC MASTER RACE!

Was watching CLICK on the BBC news channel and they had a section on a kickstarter project to remake the classic game ELITE. The presenter said the game supports 4k, 8k and up to 16k monitor resolutions. Makes the new consoles look like etcha-sketch.

Graham1979

WELCOME TO THE PC MASTER RACE!Was watching CLICK on the BBC news channel … WELCOME TO THE PC MASTER RACE!Was watching CLICK on the BBC news channel and they had a section on a kickstarter project to remake the classic game ELITE. The presenter said the game supports 4k, 8k and up to 16k monitor resolutions. Makes the new consoles look like etcha-sketch.

16k is a lot of displayports Didn't they already remake Elite under the name Elite Dangerous

GoatzRus

he 760 isn't brilliant. It's mid-range at best and and will give you … he 760 isn't brilliant. It's mid-range at best and and will give you decent framerates at medium-high settings.

Only if you've got a higher than normal resolution screen setup. On the typical 1920x1200/1080 screen it's mid-range at worst and will happily run any game well.

enigmatik33

If you are looking to game wifi is pointless. Run a proper lan cable. … If you are looking to game wifi is pointless. Run a proper lan cable. Sell the 760 and spend the extra on a better gfx card.

Someone's got a lousy wi-fi adapter.

Wires are better, but if you get a good wi-fi connection from the PC's location then it's perfectly acceptable for gaming.

GoatzRus

he 760 isn't brilliant. It's mid-range at best and and will give you … he 760 isn't brilliant. It's mid-range at best and and will give you decent framerates at medium-high settings.

enigmatik33

If you are looking to game wifi is pointless. Run a proper lan cable. … If you are looking to game wifi is pointless. Run a proper lan cable. Sell the 760 and spend the extra on a better gfx card.

Well said. 760 is fine for 1080p.

norville555

gaming computer without a decent graphics card isn't really any good for … gaming computer without a decent graphics card isn't really any good for gaming..

Well said. When I read the post I also did not see any mention of the GTX760.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

A GPU maybe!? GTX970Also any reason why this mobo? The Asus Z97-P is less … A GPU maybe!? GTX970Also any reason why this mobo? The Asus Z97-P is less than £70 and still qualities for the £40 cashback and should cover everything most people need.

I presume this comment was made before we knew there was already a GTX760.
    A £70 Motherboard should be fine if you have to ask!!

johncas, you will get lots of contradicting replies on here.
    Best to be as specific as possible to get the best advice.
    I think it would be worth mention the screen resolution of the monitor and the games you want to play for best advice.
    Also might be worth giving a budget as there are may comments from people that I agree with but which might not be right for you.
    I have to agree that most people have 1080p monitors (I do) and some people don't need a DVD drive (I also don't have one).
    Your i5, GTX760 and 8GB RAM will let you play most games fine at 1080p unless you are looking to save money or want to play with more monitors or higher res?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?25
      2. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??11
      3. Recommend a free reminder app1313
      4. plusnet mobile terrible22

See more discussions