New job opp shifts

Found 5th Nov 2017
I’m really stuck at the moment

Got a new job it’s my last week in Work next week , I do 7 am till 3:30 pm min thur and Friday 7 - 1pm weekend off

New job is 2 days 2 nights 6 days off it’s £7000 more a year but it’s further from home , but has room for progression in company ,my current had no chance of more pay or moving up

The more I thought about it there more I’m thinking to stay at my job , I have two young kids also

Have to decide by tmoz if I’m staying st my employer as I handed notice in already

Anyone done shifts like this ?

New job is Only 146 shifts a year where’s as now I’m doin 6 days a week as I’m working Saturday morning ovetime so I’m getting 4 days off a week I’m so Torn in the rite move

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments

I do 4 on 4 off then 5 on 5 off. 12 hour shifts Done it for 17 years. I can’t think of anything worse than working a 9-5 job now. Less hours more money. It’s a no brainier to me. The extra cost of travel will be reduced by the fact you only have to go to work 3.5 times per week
Edited by: "Wadda" 5th Nov 2017

I work shifts, days, evenings, nights, weekends... on a 24x7 pattern, 365 days a year. As per wadda, I couldn't go back to 9-5 now, unless the offer was really tempting.

6 days off in 10 sounds a pretty good deal - how would you cope with night shifts, with 2 youngsters around? How would your other half cope?

I think with better prospects and more money, the new job would be appealing to me - we can't make the decision for you though!

5 in and 2 off vs 4 in and 6 off + more money?
I really cant find a negative of change

Change can be difficult and it can feel easier to stick with what you know but from what you've said it sounds like a no brainer, more money for less work and better long term prospects.

Sounds like continental shifts, would hate to do them as you're working weekends. I prefer to work two 11 hour fridays nights due to night shift premium and overtime rate.

Original Poster

Wadda2 h, 41 m ago

I do 4 on 4 off then 5 on 5 off. 12 hour shifts Done it for 17 years. I …I do 4 on 4 off then 5 on 5 off. 12 hour shifts Done it for 17 years. I can’t think of anything worse than working a 9-5 job now. Less hours more money. It’s a no brainier to me. The extra cost of travel will be reduced by the fact you only have to go to work 3.5 times per week

This is what I was thinking but they also have set holidays also two lots of 18 days may and July

Well I work only part time but I do 2 nights a week of 10 hours and I have colleagues with kids doing 4 a week.
Much better working nights IMO. You've got a lot more spare time to do other things and don't have to worry about rush hour etc.

Original Poster

Well I have to let my manger in my current job know my choice on Monday ,I just worry I could be letting a good thing go , this company is a good company and all two bonuses per year and has the queens award for trade , even Prince Charles has been on a tour of the factory

I've been on the other side, working 9-5 when my wife has been working all kinds of different shifts (hotel concierge). I have to say it worked really well for us, precisely because we didn't both have exactly the same days off every week. It meant that she could get her errands done on weekdays when there are fewer crowds, and then meet me for lunch/ after work after having had a day off. Likewise I had some me time on the weekends to recharge and do the same for her. I found it a much better use of time rather than everyone having exactly the same time off (at the same time when most of the rest of the country has their time off, so everything is jammed) because it meant that during our time off we weren't both tired, pissed off from work, etc. It was almost like we had additional days off because one of us was always able to get stuff done and help the other one get through their working week.

Original Poster

ashmac9 m ago

Well I have to let my manger in my current job know my choice on Monday ,I …Well I have to let my manger in my current job know my choice on Monday ,I just worry I could be letting a good thing go , this company is a good company and all two bonuses per year and has the queens award for trade , even Prince Charles has been on a tour of the factory

My new employer I could be goin that is

Working six days a week sounds absolutely horrible. New jobs sounds much better.

Original Poster

Muir5 m ago

I've been on the other side, working 9-5 when my wife has been working all …I've been on the other side, working 9-5 when my wife has been working all kinds of different shifts (hotel concierge). I have to say it worked really well for us, precisely because we didn't both have exactly the same days off every week. It meant that she could get her errands done on weekdays when there are fewer crowds, and then meet me for lunch/ after work after having had a day off. Likewise I had some me time on the weekends to recharge and do the same for her. I found it a much better use of time rather than everyone having exactly the same time off (at the same time when most of the rest of the country has their time off, so everything is jammed) because it meant that during our time off we weren't both tired, pissed off from work, etc. It was almost like we had additional days off because one of us was always able to get stuff done and help the other one get through their working week.

Excellent point you made never thought if that !
Thanks

It's an extra 7k a year, just think how that extra income could benefit your family. You must be pretty fed up in your current job to even contemplate getting another job and if you feel that your current job won't change then it will only grind you down further.
Take the the new job and challenge yourself to step outside your current comfort zone and in doing so you might even get a sense of achievement and better wellbeing.
Just talk it through with your other half and make sure they're on board with your decision re travel time and looking after the kids on their own more.
Your other half might even be surprised and proud that you're willing to give up your comfy job for the benefit of your family's future.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Original Poster

Toptrumpet23 m ago

It's an extra 7k a year, just think how that extra income could benefit …It's an extra 7k a year, just think how that extra income could benefit your family. You must be pretty fed up in your current job to even contemplate getting another job and if you feel that your current job won't change then it will only grind you down further. Take the the new job and challenge yourself to step outside your current comfort zone and in doing so you might even get a sense of achievement and better wellbeing. Just talk it through with your other half and make sure they're on board with your decision re travel time and looking after the kids on their own more. Your other half might even be surprised and proud that you're willing to give up your comfy job for the benefit of your family's future.Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks , the wife is fully on board . Think I’m going to go for it ,not that I don’t like my current job it’s just I want to earn more and have a chance of moving up in a company rather thank just going in and having the feeling of there’s nothing to achieve if that makes sense

That makes perfect sense, we all get stuck in a rut at some time in our life. But with this new job, the hours and money, it really is a no brainer. If you plan to put the extra away for something specific (be it a family holiday, new bathroom, Christian Laboutin shoes for 'er indoors or more unnecessary impulse buys from deals on here) then you've got some reward to look forward to.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 5th Nov 2017

as someone has already said, the new job is 7k more and i have always been of the opinion that you should go where the money is. the fact that you had looked, applied and got a new job indicates that you must been unhappy with your current job. it sounds like you have last minute cold feet because you worry about the new job and want security.

i have been in similar situation where the new job pays a lot more but then i worry that i won't be able to cope with the new responsibility once i have passed the interview and got the new job offer. i have never regretted moving despite my fears and worries.

you dont want to be stuck in a place where there is no where to go and you want to go some where. it can be daunting starting a new job, especially if you are not used to moving around, but if you don't go, you may not get the chance again. you can always try it out and go back to your old job if it doesn't work out, but if you decline the new job, they may not give you another chance.

As long as there is progress on your career, a bit more hardwork is okay. At worst, you can move to different company afterwards, while maintaining the salary range

I've worked shifts for the last 12 years and wouldn't change them unless I absolutely had to. I work 6 on 4 off with a pretty regular pattern so I know what I'll be working whenever anyone asks. I absolutely love being able to go to the shops when they're quiet and have some me time when the kids are at school.

Every so often I think about 9-5, usually in-between my night shits or when I'm getting up at 5:00 for a 6am start, and then I go shopping on a weekend and change my mind pretty rapidly

Did rotating shift pattern for 4 years. Nights included. Never again.

I had always done a day job until 7 years ago when I started shift work and I was like you having never done it before can be daunting but I can honestly say I love it and wouldn't go back to a day job now, just think of all that extra time off and well as extra money as a start.
So take the gamble and move on otherwise you will never know

The best thing about working night shifts is in the morning when you are travelling home and you look and see all them people just getting ready to start work as your day has finished I'm pretty sure all night shift workers will agree with this

I certainly would agree, I love arriving home as everyone is getting ready to go out. I enjoy it more as we've got a sleeping block as well so I can often either stay up for 1 night and sleep the other, or sleep for half a night on both nights

I'd say go for it especially as you have your other half supporting u and don't have childcare issues. Makes sense to challenge yourself and its more money - win win I say. Good luck
Edited by: "saraye" 5th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants