New Kitchen

Found 2nd Jan
Hi
We are planning an extension & in process of buying new kitchen.
Can you suggest some options?
We liked wrens kitchen but haven’t heard much feedback!
Magnet kitchen seems quite expensive.
How are b&q? Any other option would you suggest?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
After doing the rounds i.e. Wren, B&Q and Wickes - I found the price of kitchens not that dissimilar. However, what I was taken aback at was the cost of installation. Wren for example quotes us £12k for the kitchen then another £5k for installation - and then they openly admitted it would take 'about a week' and might be one or two people to install it.

My biggest concern on all of the above was that they all used contractors to install the kitchen. So my issue was a different company was supplying to installing. In the end, I went to a small independent kitchen company, the total cost was a bit more but they were brilliant. They supplied and installed everything themselves, final payment (1/3) was only made once I was happy with everything - and I couldn't find a better price on any of their appliances.

So, my advice would be don't go purely on price. Look at the whole package. Yes, we could of got it about 10% cheaper, but for one company to project manage it, supply and install it was so much less stressful.
I would recommend that following:
Fridge, oven, sink, cupboards, plates/dishes/cutlery, washing machine, microwave, toaster, table & chairs, bidet.
ipswich787 m ago

After doing the rounds i.e. Wren, B&Q and Wickes - I found the price of …After doing the rounds i.e. Wren, B&Q and Wickes - I found the price of kitchens not that dissimilar. However, what I was taken aback at was the cost of installation. Wren for example quotes us £12k for the kitchen then another £5k for installation - and then they openly admitted it would take 'about a week' and might be one or two people to install it.My biggest concern on all of the above was that they all used contractors to install the kitchen. So my issue was a different company was supplying to installing. In the end, I went to a small independent kitchen company, the total cost was a bit more but they were brilliant. They supplied and installed everything themselves, final payment (1/3) was only made once I was happy with everything - and I couldn't find a better price on any of their appliances.So, my advice would be don't go purely on price. Look at the whole package. Yes, we could of got it about 10% cheaper, but for one company to project manage it, supply and install it was so much less stressful.

Can I ask where did you get in the end?
dhanepud16 m ago

Can I ask where did you get in the end?

A small indepdenent company in Suffolk. Where are you based?
Edited by: "ipswich78" 2nd Jan
Most kitchen units sold by the DIY stores and indeed the kitchen fitting companies are made by Howdens Joinery who have depots all over the country ,however they are strictly trade only. With most units being made in the same factory an independent kitchen company may well be the way to go .

Although made in the same factory there are obviously different "standards" eg cheap , average and luxury . So whatever you fancy have a good look at the door composition and weight/thickness , quality of handles, hinges and drawer runners etc .
Edited by: "rogparki" 2nd Jan
I went through thisrecently and learned alot...
Get your measurements with rough drawings of layout in your head.
Then go to B&Q to get a proper plan done and discuss options.

B&Q is the preferred option as they give you a full breakdown of each separate unit size and cost . Others will give you price and plans, but won't break each specific unit and panel down on paper. (Maybe there are minority of others, but most don't)

Then checkout DIY kitchens and give them your plans and they will price up. Usually cheaper than most places, saved us £££.
I used Ikea and like the kitchen look a very much indeed BUT never again

Firstly, the custom wood work surface started warping. Ikea sent out what they claimed to be a professional, independent firm to inspect and report. The report was a tissue of lies. Complete and utter b*11ocks. They claimed the work surface had not been fitted correctly by using special brackets. There were no special brackets. The report was a truly shocking piece of rubbish, designed only to get Ikea off the hook. I eventually got it replaced but it was a fight.

Secondly, the veneer on the drawer front started lifting. A different firm was sent out. They claimed it was due to being next to the dishwasher and the dishwasher door being opened too early. The fact that the draw was no where near the dishwasher eluded the 'engineer'. Equally, the fact the drawers near the dishwasher had not shed the laminate was missed by the bogus 'engineer'. Again, a long fight over resulted in a win.

I have concluded that Ikea are deeply untrustworthy with regard to kitchen unit warranties.
Defiantly howdens you won't look back!
From my experience, if I were to redo my kitchen again then this is what I would do:

1. Finalise the layout (from 2 to 3 companies), most of them do it for free with no obligation quotes. Choose one that you like (or create a combination of your own). Only you know what design you want.

2. In the meantime you can look at appliances find out where you can get the best price (I think AO price matches anything you find on the net in UK). Usually when you take the above quotes, they will also try and sell you appliances (Ask them to quote for it seperately).

3. Take your finalised layout (which will have fixed number of cabinets and material (like wood doors, etc.) and get quotes from 2 to 3 more companies (with the likes of Wickes, B&Q, Magnet, etc.). Again this is free with no obligation.

4. If you like a particular make from a company then ask whether they can beat the price from other providers.

5. Assuming that you want someone to install it (and no don't even need to get quotes for installation from above mentioned companies. They always out source to contractors and the cost will include their commission. Result very high installation costs), go to mybuilder.com
Post your job there, with the details as much as possible. Many contractors will want to see the place to provide a quote and that is fine. Select a few (atleast 3) with good feedback and get their quotes. Finalise one, whichever you prefer (mostly due to having good feedback).

6. Agree on a time line and ask if they have insurance to cover their works.

All the best.
I fit kitchens and bedrooms for an independent firm who manufactures them aswell. Other than using a local company, I'd say Howdens sell the best 'off the shelf' kitchens. I'd recommend popping in to them and asking them for a local kitchen fitter. You want a kitchen fitter, not a joiner, although they generally do each other's jobs the fitter will be better than the joiner at kitchens and vice versa.
Good luck and don't forget to make the fitter/s a cuppa when they are there, we really do appreciate it!
Where are you based?
We had a family run company do ours, wall knocked down / steel support, full kitchen gutting and refit top to bottom, including all Siemens appliances.
Because it was a local family business, we could check for references and all workers were employed, happy to leave them on our home and was all done in less than 2 weeks
I've had 2 new kitchens fitted and both times a local independant company was both cheaper and better designed. I do suggest getting a quote from Wickes, B&Q etc for comparision, the more designs you get the better as some design differently to others.
Whoever you choose, paying on a credit card would offer some good old fashioned consumer protection. Good luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants