New kitchen layout

Found 30th Dec 2017
Currently planning a knock through to open up kitchen and dining room to one space. Any high street kitchen stores good at helping with layout and planning? We have a basic floor plan that shows dimensions and where windows are. Ta
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
IKEA does that for £40. We used that and was ok.

ikea.com/gb/…gb/
Original Poster
£40! Shocked, I thought that was all part of them trying to get u to buy? Ah £40 is for a home visit, free if you just go in-store
Edited by: "ellie27" 30th Dec 2017
Howdens will do a visit and a plan for free. They will not give you a price on a kitchen though, you’ll need to go through a tradesman to get prices and an appointment for a plan.
B&Q do a free service instore, but you need to take in a detailed plan with measurements, windows, doors and plumbing and ideally electric sockets
Wickes do it too.
Toptrumpet59 m ago

B&Q do a free service instore, but you need to take in a detailed plan …B&Q do a free service instore, but you need to take in a detailed plan with measurements, windows, doors and plumbing and ideally electric sockets

This

We found b&q to be very good. We have had them round and not round as well, where we drew floor plan and took floor plan into store for design. All free without obligation to buy.

We also had bathroom plan done with just floor plan as well.
Just do it yourself
Original Poster
Just strugglng with layout.

We have almost a 5m x 5 m square, but only want base units along a 4m stretch, with a rectangular island along front parallel to it (2m max length??) And we will have fridgefreezer/larder on another wall. Not sure if that all provides us with enough unit space to put everything! We need sink/washing machine/cooker/oven along that one 4m stretch. Dont want sink or any appliance on island. Dont need washing machine.

Its just to get ideas if it could all fit in.....

We have a big B&Q 2 mins drive along the road so about to go along and see what they have to say!
ding15 m ago

Just do it yourself

I enjoy doing my own kitchen plans, using graph paper and cut out pieces to scale for the appliances and units etc, however I can understand why people want to use such a service instore. It’s usually a big purchase which they’ll live with for many years and they want to get it right and be given ideas that they wouldn’t necessarily of thought of or know such products exist. It’s all part of the buying experience, sitting there with a coffee letting somone else do the work and then seeing a computer generated plan of what it will look like.
Once agreed and finalised the computer automatically generates the long list of items to be ordered.
If it’s a free service it would make sense to use one if you’re not confident in your own abilities.

op, just to advise that the kitchen planners probably won’t let you take the plans or have copies of the plans before you order with them, just incase you take them and place an order elsewhere.
Op, are you thinking of putting base units under the island or possibly under counter fridge and separate freezer
Original Poster
Toptrumpet6 m ago

Op, are you thinking of putting base units under the island or possibly …Op, are you thinking of putting base units under the island or possibly under counter fridge and separate freezer

Yes, island would be full of base units and drawers. Freestanding full height fridge freezer in another wall
If you could draw a rough plan and upload it on here perhaps we can make suggestions to take with you.
Why freestanding f/f?
Toptrumpet3 h, 1 m ago

I enjoy doing my own kitchen plans, using graph paper and cut out pieces …I enjoy doing my own kitchen plans, using graph paper and cut out pieces to scale for the appliances and units etc, however I can understand why people want to use such a service instore. It’s usually a big purchase which they’ll live with for many years and they want to get it right and be given ideas that they wouldn’t necessarily of thought of or know such products exist. It’s all part of the buying experience, sitting there with a coffee letting somone else do the work and then seeing a computer generated plan of what it will look like.Once agreed and finalised the computer automatically generates the long list of items to be ordered.If it’s a free service it would make sense to use one if you’re not confident in your own abilities.op, just to advise that the kitchen planners probably won’t let you take the plans or have copies of the plans before you order with them, just incase you take them and place an order elsewhere.

Supposr a kitchen planner will know what end panels and fillers you will need for sll the finishing touches
They also work out how many lengths of cornice and kick plates you need.
Instore the handles are expensive, so I would source them elsewhere, look on eBay as often sold in quantities rather than individual and different lengths depending on drawer or unit size.
I would recommend a Franke sink and tap which often come in a bundle
I went through this and learned alot...
Get your measurements with rough drawings.
Then go to B&Q to get a proper plan done and discuss options.

B&Q is the preferred option as they give you a full breakdown of each separate unit size and cost . Others will give you price and plans, but won't break each specific unit and panel down on paper. (Maybe there are minority of others, but most don't)

Then checkout DIY kitchens and give them your plans and they will price up. Usually cheaper than most places, saved us thousands.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions