Groups

New Laptop arriving tomorrow (Windows 8) - Any tips to make the experience less traumatic for a user used to and rather attached to Windows 7 ?

As above really - any tips appreciated

20 Comments

One word, classicshell!

Start 8

Learn a few short cut keys , otherwise you'll struggle to convert to the new Operating System.

Original Poster

esar

http://www.classicshell.net/

Thanks for that - I've heard that commented on - will give it a go - Cheers

Original Poster

nemesiz

Learn a few short cut keys , otherwise you'll struggle to convert to the … Learn a few short cut keys , otherwise you'll struggle to convert to the new Operating System.

Nice link - much appreciated .

Free update to 8.1?

Start button re-appears and you can learn the changes in about 30 minutes...

Original Poster

Daftfool666

Free update to 8.1?Start button re-appears and you can learn the changes … Free update to 8.1?Start button re-appears and you can learn the changes in about 30 minutes...

Hopefully ,or already installed ,it appears that would make the transition easier . Edit : just looked at the specs -does say Windows 8.1 .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Jan 2015

rogparki

just looked at the specs -does say Windows 8.1 .

8.1 isn't too bad. I have a desktop link on the home screen which goes to a classic windows 7 type desktop view with the old style icons etc

Original Poster

paul1005

8.1 isn't too bad. I have a desktop link on the home screen which goes to … 8.1 isn't too bad. I have a desktop link on the home screen which goes to a classic windows 7 type desktop view with the old style icons etc

I'll try that - so effectively you get the best of both .

Just check out a decent youtube guide. Ten or fifteen minutes and then you may well think that all these people who harp on that windows 8 is the devils spawn are just being very silly.

PS... I use Windows 7 at work and I hate it. Very 20th century.....
    Edited by: "scrumpypaul" 6th Jan 2015

google how to set up desktop on windows 8 so that when you turn your laptop on it will show the desk top then you will feel like you still have windows 7. i don't go the tile screen of windows 8, i just abandon that.

Original Poster

mutley1

google how to set up desktop on windows 8 so that when you turn your … google how to set up desktop on windows 8 so that when you turn your laptop on it will show the desk top then you will feel like you still have windows 7. i don't go the tile screen of windows 8, i just abandon that.

That should help - Thanks .

rogparki

That should help - Thanks .

i have a touchscreen version so i have put the power off button on my desktop toolbar so i can shut the laptop down by swiping the desktop. google slide to shut down

Edited by: "mutley1" 6th Jan 2015

Original Poster

mutley1

i have a touchscreen version so i have put the power off button on my … i have a touchscreen version so i have put the power off button on my desktop toolbar so i can shut the laptop down by swiping the desktop.

Didn't fancy a touchscreen as I use it as a " coffee table top" touchscreen would do my back in ! all that bending forward ! oO . Also cant get on with touchpads - so still use a mouse .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Jan 2015

rogparki

Didn't fancy a touchscreen as I use it as a " coffee table top" … Didn't fancy a touchscreen as I use it as a " coffee table top" touchscreen would do my back in ! all that bending forward ! oO . Also cant get on with touchpads - so still use a mouse .

i still use the mouse mainly but use the touch facility for some additional functions that windows 8 offer. just nice to have both for windows 8.

I've just gone from Xp to Windows 8.1 and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting

Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips , maybe it wont be as bad as I feared after all - Cheers All

classic shell is defo one to go for!

Send it back............8 is rubbish..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tumble Dryer request33
      2. is it still possible/easy to add the playstore to a new kindle fire 844
      3. Car MOT55
      4. Amazon spend £20 and get £5 extra58

See more discussions