New laptop circa £300

Posted 18th Dec 2019
Hi all

So I missed out on the black Friday deals and I'm looking to get a laptop for my other half so she can sort out 11 years worth of photos that are scattered across various usbs, memory cards and old laptops and get the all in order in one place. I'm looking for a decent laptop that will happily let her do this at a reasonable speed and there is also a chance my daughter might pinch it to play Sims 4 so it will have to be capable of running that also.

Is there anything around the £300 mark that could handle both tasks? Needs to be new as it's for xmas

I've seen the ones below but not sure on them?

All help appreciated, the Dell offer runs out today.

ebuyer.com/912…4uk

dell.com/en-…top
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Wouldn't go with Dell. 4gb of ram really isn't enough nowadays. Granted it will probably do what you want it to do, but with laptops you always want to try to go for something a little better than your current requirements.
3200U

The lenovo is ok, someone with more knowledge than me will need to confirm that the 3200u on board gfx meets the sims min requirements of higher than an ati radeon x1300

You also don't want a new laptop to be the only place you store your sorted photos.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 18th Dec 2019
My daughter had an Asus similar to this one currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
Brilliant, still going strong 3 years later. She plays sims 4 on it with all her expansion packs and uses it for her coursework.
We actually bought hers from Argos at Ebay. It was 'refurbed' and significantly discounted but still comes with the full warranty. We thought it worth a punt after previously buying a laptop from there. We've had no issues and both looked immaculate when received, like new. I assume they were just returns that they aren't allowed to sell as new once unsealed.
you said, "get the all in order in one place..."

with 11 years of photos, how about keeping the photo as duplicates in two places?! E.g, on computer's storage and then another storage place
Lenovo will do the job.
Thanks everyone

Once all photos are in order we'll make copies onto another drive for back up
Thanks for all your replies and PM's, I'm still struggling on which to get. I was told to only buy pentium but not sure what difference that makes? So I need 8gb memory and possibly pentium for circa £300, is that possible and it had to run Sims 4
neilhaj19/12/2019 08:51

Thanks for all your replies and PM's, I'm still struggling on which to …Thanks for all your replies and PM's, I'm still struggling on which to get. I was told to only buy pentium but not sure what difference that makes? So I need 8gb memory and possibly pentium for circa £300, is that possible and it had to run Sims 4

Pentium is a budget processor, I would avoid that. If you're going Intel stick to the Intel Core series and if you're going AMD stick with Ryzen.

The Lenovo you posted seems to tick all the boxes, I would go for that.
Edited by: "Gormond" 19th Dec 2019
Gormond19/12/2019 09:04

Pentium is a budget processor, I would avoid that. If you're going Intel …Pentium is a budget processor, I would avoid that. If you're going Intel stick to the Intel Core series and if you're going AMD stick with Ryzen.The Lenovo you posted seems to tick all the boxes, I would go for that.

Thanks for the advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions