EXPIRED

New Laptop required for work ~ £1000 budget

Looking for a new laptop for work, and have been given a budget of ~£1000 ($2000).

Currently using a Acer Travelmate 8006LMi and it is used for most of the day. It has a good screen size 1400 * 1050 and the keyboard is comfortableto use. I have been using it for 2 1/2 years, 8+ hours per day, travelled with it, and it has never missed a beat, and runs XP Pro.

However, I now need to be able to run Windows Vista Business edition/Ultimate edition to duplicate the environment that many of the people we are dealin with are starting to use.

Will be used for a variety of tasks - software development using Microsoft Visual Studio, Website development, spreadsheet/database development, running analytical software for testing etc, writing articles, emailing, internet conferencing, and other general office tasks.

Personally would also use it for some multimedia stuff especially when away, for instance, storing/manipulating photos, the odd DVD.

Had a quick look in PC World (Telford) at the weekend but couldn't really find anything suitable. The one thing that seemed to let the majority down was that the screen resolutions were quite poor (1280*800) which would be a step back to what I am used to (see above). To get a reasonable resolution I would hope not to have to go to a 17" screen as I will also have to travel overseas with the laptop.

Needs to be a reliable brand as it is used intensively, with reasonable storage, at least 100Gb, at least a DVD writer for backup, 2Gb ram, screen in the region of 1400 * 1050 (although will be wide screen now I guess), ~15 inch, Vista Ultimate/Business, (built in webcam would be nice) .

Anyone able to recommend something and a supplier??

2 Comments

Should be able to get something pretty good for that cash, I would look at Toshiba, Asus & Lenovo (aka IBM) for decent makes.

ebuyer.com/pro…729 seems to tick most boxes from just having a quick look
or this - morecomputers.co.uk/ext…gle

Original Poster

shazbot;1482780

Should be able to get something pretty good for that cash, I would look … Should be able to get something pretty good for that cash, I would look at Toshiba, Asus & Lenovo (aka IBM) for decent makes.http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136729 seems to tick most boxes from just having a quick lookor this - http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/extra.asp?pn=F3SA-AS008G&referer=Froogle

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Toshiba, looks like it may be a strong candidate.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Need a new Divan bed asap44
    2. Any good Xbox One Kinect Games for kids?44
    3. Any plumbers DIY'rs? basin waste problem11
    4. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?79

See more discussions