Groups

New laptop... What should I get?!

Looking for a new laptop and I'm wondering what to get! I have a Sony Vaio at the moment and my budget is about £500-600. Are there any brands that are particularly good? What software etc should I look for? I know there's all that Intel Core, Dual Processor and what have you... But what's the best?! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Also, my Dad is going to New York at Christmas... Would I get a better deal out there or not really?

18 Comments

macbook starts at £687 with student discount...saves messing with virus protections and all that jazz

Original Poster

boothy;7053679

macbook starts at £687 with student discount...saves messing with virus … macbook starts at £687 with student discount...saves messing with virus protections and all that jazz

I thought about getting a Mac... But aren't they a lot different to Windows? I used one whilst I was working with Cubase and I found all that popping up a bit annoying. Haha!

Dell Inspirion. I have 1545, cant fault it.

Go for Core2Duo.

Original Poster

dontdothatagain;7053711

Dell Inspirion. I have 1545, cant fault it.

I've had a dell before and it was dire!!

baffledsalmon;7053709

I thought about getting a Mac... But aren't they a lot different to … I thought about getting a Mac... But aren't they a lot different to Windows? I used one whilst I was working with Cubase and I found all that popping up a bit annoying. Haha!

not really,try one out in a store first then buy via the education store......

...there customer service is second to none of you have any problems as well,you also get 3 years guarantee as standard via the student store

Original Poster

I'm guessing it wouldn't make a lot of difference buying it from the States?

Banned

dcx_badass;7053759

Yeah because there's no virus' for macs....

No viruses is correct:thumbsup:

Banned

baffledsalmon;7053806

I'm guessing it wouldn't make a lot of difference buying it from the … I'm guessing it wouldn't make a lot of difference buying it from the States?

The keyboard will be in American.

baffledsalmon;7053806

I'm guessing it wouldn't make a lot of difference buying it from the … I'm guessing it wouldn't make a lot of difference buying it from the States?

exchange rate is crap at the minute,so not really worth it unless its a massive saving,also slight chances of a customs charge

plug and keyboard will be american as well

Original Poster

boothy;7053859

exchange rate is crap at the minute,so not really worth it unless its a … exchange rate is crap at the minute,so not really worth it unless its a massive saving,also slight chances of a customs chargeplug and keyboard will be american as well

Of course! Didn't think of that! Thanks Boothy, would rep you if I could but it won't let me!

Banned

dcx_badass;7053885

No it isn't, just stop talking.

I think you'll find it is correct:thumbsup:

dcx_badass;7053885

No it isn't, just stop talking.

Im afraid dcx_badass is 100% correct here...there is not many but there are virus'

OSX/Tored-A OSX/Jahlav-C, are but two i can name.

Original Poster

SSSSSSHT. No arguing on my thread!

dcx_badass;7053948

Really you want to go there? This is why people shouldn't but macs you … Really you want to go there? This is why people shouldn't but macs you turn into an instant mis-informed fan boy.

FilthAndFurry;7053920

I think you'll find it is correct:thumbsup:

He's not saying that your statement was incorrect in that way he was saying your spelling was, and is now winding you up.

So feed him what he wants. Which is offtopic banter.

Damn so have I now.

On the note about dells, customer service and parts replacement is far easier. Bought a lot of second hand ones that were ruddy sturdy.

Banned

dcx_badass;7053948

Really you want to go there? This is why people shouldn't but macs you … Really you want to go there? This is why people shouldn't but macs you turn into an instant mis-informed fan boy.

:whistling:

dcx_badass;7053982

I'm going to carry on anyway. Mac's so awesome even the keyboard gets … I'm going to carry on anyway. Mac's so awesome even the keyboard gets viruses:http://www.digitalsociety.org/2009/08/apple-keyboards-hacked-and-possessed/

wow that is genius! (see what i did there?)

Banned

Adam2050;7053965

He's not saying that your statement was incorrect in that way he was … He's not saying that your statement was incorrect in that way he was saying your spelling was, and is now winding you up. So feed him what he wants. Which is offtopic banter. Damn so have I now.On the note about dells, customer service and parts replacement is far easier. Bought a lot of second hand ones that were ruddy sturdy.

What you talking bout Willis?

http://gremlindog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hayden-young.jpg

FilthAndFurry;7053831

No viruses is correct:thumbsup:

No, only scams, phising, spam, wifi hacking and keyloggers. Nothing to worry about there then.

Other good brands in general are Lenovo (thinkpads), Toshiba, Dell, HP and Fujitsu, but I don't know which ones are good at around £500-600.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      2. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions