Groups

New Loft Door

Hey,

I'm looking to replace my loft door. Currently it has one of those removeable covers, so I want a door which you can easily push and it then opens like a flap.

I'm thinking the Manthorpe GL250 from Screwfix, however - what concerns me is the border around my current loft hole in the ceiling. Would I need to remove that border? If so, how?! See pics in first comment.

Thanks

7 Comments

Original Poster

http://i68.tinypic.com/vpuqug.jpg

Original Poster

Link to door I'm looking at - screwfix.com/p/m…wcB

Yes you would have to lose the trim looking how the new one opend
    Tbh is the door the same size as you may be able to put up a new trim after the new one is fitted anyway to finish it off and not make the roof look untidy

We have a loft hatch that looks just like yours, and had our door replaced with a drop down one which you open with a pole , however ours is wooden and was not fitted as a complete unit like the screwfix one, just a replacement door. This enables us to have a wooden ladder that then pulls down. We previously had a hatch door that open inwards towards the loft , but had to have it changed as it wasn't compatible with a pull down loft ladder. The new door has a twisty metal latch ( sorry you can tell I didn't put it in myself ) and is hinged on the other side , it meant we could leave all the existing trim in place .

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 18th Dec 2016

tinkerbellian

We have a loft hatch that looks just like yours, and had our door … We have a loft hatch that looks just like yours, and had our door replaced with a drop down one which you open with a pole , however ours is wooden and was not fitted as a complete unit like the screwfix one, just a replacement door. This enables us to have a wooden ladder that then pulls down. We previously had a hatch door that open inwards towards the loft , but had to have it changed as it wasn't compatible with a pull down loft ladder. The new door has a twisty metal latch ( sorry you can tell I didn't put it in myself ) and is hinged on the other side , it meant we could leave all the existing trim in place .

Loft ladders, such as this one, include the pole operated catch for the door.

Original Poster

termite

Loft ladders, such as this one, include the pole operated catch for the … Loft ladders, such as this one, include the pole operated catch for the door.

​How would I attach that?

It's called a loft hatch.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What laptop?33
      2. Car MOT34
      3. House buyer survey?22
      4. best place for fishing tackle?33

See more discussions