New Look to shut 60 stores and axe nearly 1,000 jobs

Found 7th Mar
First Toys R Us, Maplin and Prezzo - now New Look look to be in serious trouble

New Look to shut 60 stores and axe nearly 1,000 jobs plus cut rent on the rest of their stores as they struggle to stay above water

''Up to 980 jobs are being axed at retailer New Look under plans to shut 60 stores and slash rent on nearly 400 shops as part of a rescue deal, the company said.

The company has asked creditors for a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) which will allow it to continue trading while cutting costs such as high rent bills''

New Look stores identified for potential closure:

• Aberdeen - Bon Accord;
  • Beckton;
  • Bolton Mens;
  • Borehamwood;
  • Brynmawr;
  • Burton Mens;
  • Cameron Toll;
  • Cardiff - Queen Arcade;
  • Cheshunt;
  • Clevedon;
  • Craigleith;
  • Doncaster Mens;
  • Dundee – Wellgate;
  • Exeter Mens;
  • Fleet;
  • Gateshead - Team Valley;
  • Glasgow - Buchanan Street Mens;
  • Gorleston;
  • Hanley Mens - Intu Potteries;
  • Hounslow Mens;
  • Hull – Whitefriargate;
  • Keynsham;
  • Kingswood;
  • Leeds - The Core Shopping Centre;
  • Leicester – Haymarket;
  • London - Marble Arch;
  • London - Moorgate/ London Wall;
  • London - Oxford Circus;
  • Maidenhead;
  • Maidstone Mens;
  • Merry Hill Mens;
  • Metro Centre – Mens;
  • Monmouth;
  • Newport Mens;
  • Newton Mearns;
  • North Shields;
  • Nottingham Mens;
  • Ocean Terminal;
  • Peterbrough Bridge Street;
  • Pontypool;
  • Portswood;
  • Ramsgate;
  • Reading - Broad Street;
  • Reading Oracle Mens;
  • Rhyl;
  • Romford Mens;
  • Rugby;
  • Shrewsbury Mens;
  • Sidmouth;
  • Stockport – Merseyway;
  • Stockton-on-Tees;
  • Stratford Upon Avon -Bridge Street;
  • Thornaby;
  • Tonypandy;
  • Torquay - Union Street;
  • Tredegar;
  • Troon;
  • Wallsend;
  • Weston Favell;
  • Wigan Mens

The retailer believes if landlords accept rent reductions the firm will survive but time will tell - seems a really tough time for the high Street atm and wouldn't be surprised if we see more casualty's in the coming weeks/months

Source
Community Updates
Top comments
It's a real shame but their prices have crept up and up - alienating a great deal of their previous customers
Splice43 m ago

So many shops closed who is next

They sell overpriced clothes and homeware.
27 Comments
It's a real shame but their prices have crept up and up - alienating a great deal of their previous customers
The high street and retail parks have been hanging my a thread for a while. Hopefully we see them gone.

Councils should look to redevelop the locations with deeded no rental clauses and price controls on sales.

At every end there is a new start, lets hope they do it properly!
Edited by: "groenleader" 7th Mar
Don't even sell men's clothes here so I care ?

33395611-NYvhc.jpg
List of stores here: mirror.co.uk/mon…amp (quite a few of standalone men's stores closing - not surprised since my local one is always empty)
Wongy11029 m ago

Don't even sell men's clothes here so I care ?[Image]

They sell men's clothes
sueyc3 m ago

They sell men's clothes

Not here they don't !
Splice43 m ago

They sell overpriced clothes and homeware.
All the stores that have closed lately are overpriced and are simply not competitive enough with the likes of online stores.
sueyc43 m ago

They sell men's clothes

They sell boys clothes. No real man could fit in anything they sell!
Please don't be so short sighted UK Hudders..

Primark who have taken some of New Looks market share employ 68,000 people in the UK, pay lots of tax, populated hundreds of retailer units, pay a lot of IT support, and spend a fortune on logistics and many more thousands of jobs.

To be fair to new look, instead of clinging on and going into administration, they are actually trying something to restructure and adapt to the modern world and modern customers.

But,look at the bigger picture and the market. Clothing on the high street in recent years has been booming when you look at Primarks model. (68,000 store staff alone.. amazing)
Chiptivo15 m ago

Please don't be so short sighted UK Hudders..Primark who have taken some …Please don't be so short sighted UK Hudders..Primark who have taken some of New Looks market share employ 68,000 people in the UK, pay lots of tax, populated hundreds of retailer units, pay a lot of IT support, and spend a fortune on logistics and many more thousands of jobs. To be fair to new look, instead of clinging on and going into administration, they are actually trying something to restructure and adapt to the modern world and modern customers. But,look at the bigger picture and the market. Clothing on the high street in recent years has been booming when you look at Primarks model. (68,000 store staff alone.. amazing)

Restructuring is an amazing thing, no one gets hurt by it, every bill gets paid and the commitment go on as they always did. Oh wait that’s not really the case, someone down the chain takes a massive hit, and as we have seen often the pension fund which companies “forget” all about are left in a weaker position. It’s good they are doing something to try continue trading but we never hear about the effect on other parts of the chain. What they are doing though is better than a prepack agreement which many companies do including some of the big ones over the years.

fingers crossed New Look come out the other end
Edited by: "eslick" 7th Mar
Primark clothes but more expensive
Omg, just bought more new look gift cards from the 20% off deal at Tesco... do I lose everything if they go under? Maybe I’d better get them spent ASAP?
deleted1166706
juggler14 m ago

Omg, just bought more new look gift cards from the 20% off deal at …Omg, just bought more new look gift cards from the 20% off deal at Tesco... do I lose everything if they go under? Maybe I’d better get them spent ASAP?

I reckon you've got a while yet, they might suspend spending of them if they enter administration, assume they need time to allow a restructure to fail first.
Yay. Sale. Might get some bargains
Splice2 h, 58 m ago

Next?
Chiptivo1 h, 35 m ago

Please don't be so short sighted UK Hudders..Primark who have taken some …Please don't be so short sighted UK Hudders..Primark who have taken some of New Looks market share employ 68,000 people in the UK, pay lots of tax, populated hundreds of retailer units, pay a lot of IT support, and spend a fortune on logistics and many more thousands of jobs. To be fair to new look, instead of clinging on and going into administration, they are actually trying something to restructure and adapt to the modern world and modern customers. But,look at the bigger picture and the market. Clothing on the high street in recent years has been booming when you look at Primarks model. (68,000 store staff alone.. amazing)

So you are saying shop at Primark ?
well don't have one of them at all

so go naked or dress in a dress it is !
Wongy11013 m ago

So you are saying shop at Primark ?well don't have one of them at all so …So you are saying shop at Primark ?well don't have one of them at all so go naked or dress in a dress it is !

Not at all, people are crying as 1000 jobs have gone, but because of the good work of Primark, 68,000 jobs have been created on the high street in the same industry.
I'm just saying, look at the bigger picture.
Net gain of 67,000 high street jobs, more if you include the logistics and support/maintance these sites require.
Great news for the Great British high street.
Chiptivo4 m ago

Not at all, people are crying as 1000 jobs have gone, but because of the …Not at all, people are crying as 1000 jobs have gone, but because of the good work of Primark, 68,000 jobs have been created on the high street in the same industry. I'm just saying, look at the bigger picture. Net gain of 67,000 high street jobs, more if you include the logistics and support/maintance these sites require.Great news for the Great British high street.

Just after some togs mate

don't see anything beyond nudey times tbh poor you !

btw you might want t check out the new coc
Edited by: "Wongy110" 7th Mar
Aww it will be a shame if New Look go under, it has always been my favourite for clothes. I disagree that they're just like Primark, you wash Primark clothes once and they go misshapen.

However, since discovering everything5pounds.com 2 years ago I've never shopped anywhere else and refuse to pay more than a fiver for an item of clothing. It's mostly New Look, Primark, Next, Debenhams, etc clothing anyway.
Splice3 h, 41 m ago

One of New Looks rivals who also sell clothes. Furniture too. They will also send catalogues to your home.

Edit. Bloody @deeky cracking the same joke... missed it before posting this. Now I look a prat.

Thanks a lot @deeky .
Edited by: "Biddy2" 7th Mar
needed a small audio part for the car. looked online and it was £2.99, passing halfords went in and asked for price on same part, £8.99, hmmm, ordered online.
this is the problem and why these stores are losing the battle to stay open. if the part was lets say £5 I may have been tempted to save a 2 day delivery time but no it had to be a 300% difference,
best spend those gift cards i got given for xmas .......... i don't even like the shop might get some socks..
Does anyone know if I can still use gift cards?
Our town has two shopping centres both two thirds empty because when they were fully occupied and very busy the Landlords got very greedy and virtually doubled the rent .
And the local council finished the job off with ludicrous rates bills.
Have they lowered their rent or rates charges amazingly not, so for five years now most locals have been shopping in a neighbouring town. Now it looks like New Look are closing as well surprised the paid the crazy rent and rates charges for so long.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants