New LP records (vinyl)

Posted 9th Nov
Are there any disadvantage in buying new LP’s (other than price) like in Supermarkets?

Normally I buy ‘used’ in charity shops, flea markets, Discogs and independent stores.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
You can buy your vinyl records from wherever you want to buy them from. Sometimes with Amazon you'll get a free mp3 copy of the album as well but just go ahead and buy your records from wherever you want to spend your money.
Haircut_10009/11/2019 16:31

You can buy your vinyl records from wherever you want to buy them from. …You can buy your vinyl records from wherever you want to buy them from. Sometimes with Amazon you'll get a free mp3 copy of the album as well but just go ahead and buy your records from wherever you want to spend your money.

It’s a question of any disadvantage of buying NEW I.E. a modern pressing of either a new title or one from the past?
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 17:59

It’s a question of any disadvantage of buying NEW I.E. a modern pressing o …It’s a question of any disadvantage of buying NEW I.E. a modern pressing of either a new title or one from the past?

Well it's up to you isn't it. You could buy a newly pressed fresh copy of an album, or you could an older used pressing, but it will have been played and handled. It's totally up to you what condition you want your vinyl to be in when you buy it and whether you prefer a cheaper used copy that might show some signs of wear , a great condition original which is in excellent condition but would be pricey, or a brand new relreleased copy. Only you know what you want to spend on your vinyl collection. One thing that some people are very fond of and new pressings of classic albums on heavyweight vinyl.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 9th Nov
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 17:59

It’s a question of any disadvantage of buying NEW I.E. a modern pressing o …It’s a question of any disadvantage of buying NEW I.E. a modern pressing of either a new title or one from the past?

It would depend on whether the modern pressing uses the same source as the original release (or subsequent releases before the vinyl revival) or whether the latest disc has been 'remastered' from either the original master or from a different source.

There are plenty of examples of better modern releases compared to their original pressings but also fans that have been disappointed when listening to modern releases because of the 'improvements' made in the mastering processes or the audio quality.

Please give some examples of the artists/releases you are seeking to buy & those with prior knowledge can possibly offer their viewpoint on whether the original LPs are superior to the later re-releases.
Price is really the only disadvantage when buying new although with the upsurge in interest in vinyl the prices in the used market have gone up.
If you can, support your local independent record store.
Edited by: "jimmy_the_fridge" 9th Nov
AC/DC - Highway To Hell Vinyl LP £15 secondhand independent store 1979?

£15 to £20'ish NEW 2009?
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 19:01

AC/DC - Highway To Hell Vinyl LP £15 secondhand independent store 1979?£15 …AC/DC - Highway To Hell Vinyl LP £15 secondhand independent store 1979?£15 to £20'ish NEW 2009?

Check the quality of the second hand record and see if it is of good quality. Personally I would buy it as a lot of the new remastered pressings can have had the audio tweaked and I would prefer it to sound as it was intended.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants