New mattress - recommendations please?

Posted 2nd Aug 2020Edited by:"squiff"
If you were going to buy a new mattress (kingsize) with a budget of £400, which would you go for?

We've narrowed it down to wanting hybrid (foam AND pocket sprung). I have a muscle and joint condition and both of us get bad backs, so comfort is paramount. We've tried a few and think medium or medium-soft will be best for us.

Thanks all!
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Purchased this one from these guys and it the best mattress ive ever owned. Tried it in local store and it was priced at £699. Found these guys online and it was delivered in 10 days and they were simply superb. 8 months on and its still as plump as ever.

Sicily Mattress
Emma are good, they'll also send out a free mattress topper if you find it either too hard or soft.
Simpson31702/08/2020 23:52

Emma are good, they'll also send out a free mattress topper if you find it …Emma are good, they'll also send out a free mattress topper if you find it either too hard or soft.

I've been looking at these, but can't see the option for the free topper online. Is this negotiated after you buy the mattress? I'm worried the Emma maybe too soft for a couple rather than a single person.
STRICKIBHOY03/08/2020 11:49

I've been looking at these, but can't see the option for the free topper …I've been looking at these, but can't see the option for the free topper online. Is this negotiated after you buy the mattress? I'm worried the Emma maybe too soft for a couple rather than a single person.

If you buy it direct from them or one of their official partner retailer's - and you need a topper, contact their customer support and they will send you out a free one.
Edited by: "Simpson317" 3rd Aug
Simpson31703/08/2020 11:52

If you buy it direct from them or one of their official partner retailer's …If you buy it direct from them or one of their official partner retailer's - and you need a topper, contact their customer support and they will send you out a free one.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what's worse, the sore back from my awful mattress or my sore head from googling mattresses
STRICKIBHOY03/08/2020 11:57

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what's worse, the sore back from …Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what's worse, the sore back from my awful mattress or my sore head from googling mattresses

No problem, at least most of them give you like a 100 night trial etc.
Try Dormeo. I think they are doing a half price TV promo at the moment on the memory foam one. But they definitely do a hybrid mattress as well.
Thanks so much everyone for your comments. I'll follow all these up!
The Emma mattress I found to be great and definitely helped with him bad back, if not to soft and still gives decent support. I have had it for nearly a year and not had any issues with it even when we had really hot weather occassionally did not find the mattress overly warm

Before purchasing I tried several mattresses in John Lewis for a while and found the Simba mattress was way to soft like a marshmallow.
Does anyone know where to look for the best price on the Emma mattress please? As I was typing this very reply, there was an ad for Emma mattresses on TV offering 25% off....
100% this Dormeo hybrid from Costco, only £199 for King and is the best mattress we've ever had. We've had silentnight, simba, casper but nothing beats this. It's a lot deeper than the pictures make it look!

costco.co.uk/Mat…968

They're £599 direct from Dormeo

dormeo.co.uk/dor…tml

Online Subscription to costco is £15
Edited by: "you_gotta_be_kidding" 3rd Aug
you_gotta_be_kidding03/08/2020 13:24

100% this Dormeo hybrid from Costco, only £199 for King and is the best …100% this Dormeo hybrid from Costco, only £199 for King and is the best mattress we've ever had. We've had silentnight, simba, casper but nothing beats this. It's a lot deeper than the pictures make it look!https://www.costco.co.uk/Mattresses-Beds/Mattresses/Dormeo-Options-Hybrid-Mattress-King-150cm/p/169968

The problem is we don't want a very deep mattress as our baby sleeps in a Chicco Next2Me crib attached to our bed and you shouldn't have the height of YOUR mattress more than 2cm higher than your baby's crib. May not affect you but would be a problem for us... and we live nowhere near a Costco unfortuntely. Thank you though, I appreciate your comment!
squiff03/08/2020 13:27

The problem is we don't want a very deep mattress as our baby sleeps in a …The problem is we don't want a very deep mattress as our baby sleeps in a Chicco Next2Me crib attached to our bed and you shouldn't have the height of YOUR mattress more than 2cm higher than your baby's crib. May not affect you but would be a problem for us... and we live nowhere near a Costco unfortuntely. Thank you though, I appreciate your comment!

These are 23cm deep (the Emma is 25cm) and free delivery
Edited by: "you_gotta_be_kidding" 3rd Aug
We've decided to go for the Emma mattress based on their 200 night risk-free policy, 10 year guarantee, free returns and 25% off, plus 5.25% through TCB. Thanks everyone!
squiff03/08/2020 13:37

We've decided to go for the Emma mattress based on their 200 night …We've decided to go for the Emma mattress based on their 200 night risk-free policy, 10 year guarantee, free returns and 25% off, plus 5.25% through TCB. Thanks everyone!

if its no good for you, you can click through the return centre and they will send you a topper as mentioned above, it all done on line no need to contact them, its an option they ask when you want to return.

They are good mattresses but for me trying a few of them they arent as good as a traditional one. Emma are excellent at customer service, just make sure if you do return they actually refund you, they forgot on one of our returns.
STRICKIBHOY03/08/2020 11:57

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what's worse, the sore back from …Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what's worse, the sore back from my awful mattress or my sore head from googling mattresses

squiff03/08/2020 13:16

Does anyone know where to look for the best price on the Emma mattress …Does anyone know where to look for the best price on the Emma mattress please? As I was typing this very reply, there was an ad for Emma mattresses on TV offering 25% off....

If you type Hello41 you get a good discount on their website. Took the double down to £294. I just don't know if it'll be too soft for me and the wife.
STRICKIBHOY03/08/2020 15:35

If you type Hello41 you get a good discount on their website. Took the …If you type Hello41 you get a good discount on their website. Took the double down to £294. I just don't know if it'll be too soft for me and the wife.

Try it, certainly won’t be soft, more medium to firm.
Shrug. Worth a try.
Post a comment
@
    Text