New mid-range PC gaming set up advice

Posted 9th Jun 2020
Folks, I've been out of the PC gaming scene for some years and want to build a new PC.

Need some recommendations for graphics cards, RAM, processor and motherboard?

Looking to spend up to £500. TIA. Mark.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Hi I just bought the ryzen 3300x deal from awd it listed here.

180 for 3300x and b450m mobo
30 for 500w cooler master white 80w psu (not best but ok)
65 for 2x8gb 3200 ram

All from awd it

Then case I am still deciding. 30 cheap. 50 decent.

Then gou get 2nd hand rx 570 from ebay. Going for 90 now.

That is an Awesome build! Check out hardware unboxed review of 3100 and 3300g

Could go for 1600af 6c12t or 3600 if you want more productivity and less gaming. Amazon have 3600 for 160.

Motherboards need to make sure they are 3rd gen ryzen ready. Think most b450m are but check with retailer or recent amazon reviews or check here.

I played safe and got bundle from awd it

Though ordered yesterday and not received but they told me on phone they had stock

New amd processor is oos most places!

Good luck!!!
No offence mate £500 is budget now days. I think £800 - £1000 is midrange now.

Its definitely worth going down the second hand route / open box.
Edited by: "silverGT" 9th Jun
jameshothothot09/06/2020 13:26

Hi I just bought the ryzen 3300x deal from awd it listed here.180 for …Hi I just bought the ryzen 3300x deal from awd it listed here.180 for 3300x and b450m mobo30 for 500w cooler master white 80w psu (not best but ok)65 for 2x8gb 3200 ramAll from awd itThen case I am still deciding. 30 cheap. 50 decent. Then gou get 2nd hand rx 570 from ebay. Going for 90 now.That is an Awesome build! Check out hardware unboxed review of 3100 and 3300gCould go for 1600af 6c12t or 3600 if you want more productivity and less gaming. Amazon have 3600 for 160.Motherboards need to make sure they are 3rd gen ryzen ready. Think most b450m are but check with retailer or recent amazon reviews or check here.I played safe and got bundle from awd itThough ordered yesterday and not received but they told me on phone they had stockNew amd processor is oos most places!Good luck!!!

See this video. He recommends getting a cheap mobo. Techyescity is the king of bargain deals. Can also go the 2nd hand xeon route if you don't really need single core performance.
silverGT09/06/2020 14:52

No offence mate £500 is budget now days. I think £800 - £1000 is midrange n …No offence mate £500 is budget now days. I think £800 - £1000 is midrange now. Its definitely worth going down the second hand route / open box.

It is? Just proves how out of touch I am!!
jameshothothot09/06/2020 16:08

[Video] See this video. He recommends getting a cheap mobo. Techyescity is …[Video] See this video. He recommends getting a cheap mobo. Techyescity is the king of bargain deals. Can also go the 2nd hand xeon route if you don't really need single core performance.

Cheers bud, appreciate the info.
v8griff09/06/2020 18:36

It is? Just proves how out of touch I am!!

Debateable, it depends on your definition of mid-range.
jameshothothot09/06/2020 13:26

Hi I just bought the ryzen 3300x deal from awd it listed here.180 for …Hi I just bought the ryzen 3300x deal from awd it listed here.180 for 3300x and b450m mobo30 for 500w cooler master white 80w psu (not best but ok)65 for 2x8gb 3200 ramAll from awd itThen case I am still deciding. 30 cheap. 50 decent. Then gou get 2nd hand rx 570 from ebay. Going for 90 now.That is an Awesome build! Check out hardware unboxed review of 3100 and 3300gCould go for 1600af 6c12t or 3600 if you want more productivity and less gaming. Amazon have 3600 for 160.Motherboards need to make sure they are 3rd gen ryzen ready. Think most b450m are but check with retailer or recent amazon reviews or check here.I played safe and got bundle from awd itThough ordered yesterday and not received but they told me on phone they had stockNew amd processor is oos most places!Good luck!!!

So, having a look at B450 motherboards, I've narrowed it down to either:

MSI Tomahawk Max LINKY

Or

Asus ROG Strix LINKY

Both around the £120 mark. Any thoughts anyone?
v8griff10/06/2020 10:22

So, having a look at B450 motherboards, I've narrowed it down to …So, having a look at B450 motherboards, I've narrowed it down to either:MSI Tomahawk Max LINKYOrAsus ROG Strix LINKYBoth around the £120 mark. Any thoughts anyone?

This is out of my price range. I simply got the cheapest one but someone I do rate techspot/ hardware unboxed has this guide here:

techspot.com/bes…ds/

edit: tomahawk is best all rounder! So go with that!
Edited by: "jameshothothot" 10th Jun
I think I'm the only one who still builds intel
silverGT10/06/2020 11:32

I think I'm the only one who still builds intel

lol yes thought your budget was a bit high having said that.. i've never owned AMD before but usually just buy 2nd hand workstations / office pcs and upgrade them.
Edited by: "jameshothothot" 10th Jun
Any thoughts on cases? I was looking at the lower end of the scale, Fractal Focus G.
v8griff11/06/2020 09:51

Any thoughts on cases? I was looking at the lower end of the scale, …Any thoughts on cases? I was looking at the lower end of the scale, Fractal Focus G.

There are a few discussions on here under pc cases. I go for ultra budget as just a weekend pc for my son and I end up flipping pcs and mainly to people who want a first pc for fortnite and only care about fps.

Gsmers nexus says need 3 fans ideally

Linus tech tips showed diminishing returns after 2 fans. One front. One back

So I have been looking at cases with at least 2 fans pre installed (front and back... Some are front only but you want one push front and one pull back) and a mesh front and top for air to flow. (Hot air rises so nice to have vent on top for escape)

Kolink stronghold looked nice but no front fan and no easy airflow at front and review showed it was 15 degrees higher.

I went for ultra budget cit f3.

I am sure there are better looking cases but yeah check air flow
Edited by: "jameshothothot" 11th Jun
overclockers.co.uk/ocu…tml

These do a few pc's in £500 region depending on how tight budget is. Configuration is available on most to play with and scare yourself.
Cheers chaps.
jameshothothot11/06/2020 09:56

There are a few discussions on here under pc cases. I go for ultra budget …There are a few discussions on here under pc cases. I go for ultra budget as just a weekend pc for my son and I end up flipping pcs and mainly to people who want a first pc for fortnite and only care about fps.Gsmers nexus says need 3 fans ideallyLinus tech tips showed diminishing returns after 2 fans. One front. One backSo I have been looking at cases with at least 2 fans pre installed (front and back... Some are front only but you want one push front and one pull back) and a mesh front and top for air to flow. (Hot air rises so nice to have vent on top for escape)Kolink stronghold looked nice but no front fan and no easy airflow at front and review showed it was 15 degrees higher.I went for ultra budget cit f3. I am sure there are better looking cases but yeah check air flow

Mike's unboxing frequents hotukdeals a lot! This is his review of the case I got. I forgot to mention the vent under the PSU too I liked the sd-card reader too as that saves a few quid
youtube.com/wat…8_8
Post a comment
@
    Text