New monitor indecision

Found 18th Jun
Have been pondering new monitor/s for a while now but am indecisive about what will be best.

I had come to the conclusion of dual or triple x 27" monitors would be ideal, but then friend sent me a link to this. 49" superwide samsung.

I wont be doing any gaming, just work and a bit coding and multimedia dev, so it may be overkill.

Any thoughts from the more knowledgeable members on whether this is a good buy?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
The ultrawide is x2 1080 displays linked together whilst the other is a triple 1080p. The samsung is massively overpriced for what it gives you as it's hitting 4k TV prices.

No idea how the 27" monitors stack but a portrait monitor is easier for coding and PDF work. Having 3x27" would mean having to angle the monitors at a sharper angle to make is easily to view them all in landscape but portrait would be fine.

I would go for the 3x27" monitors with the sides at a sharper angle and a 40" 4K tv wall mounted above for video playback. I've got 3x23" IPS monitors and I've found the sharper the angle on the side monitors the easier it is to view without reflection.

Saying that you could buy two 40" 4K TVs for the price of the samsung
Edited by: "kester76" 18th Jun
Thanks Kester, price isnt a consideration as I can expense it. Ideally not over 1k.
DKLS20 m ago

Thanks Kester, price isnt a consideration as I can expense it. Ideally not …Thanks Kester, price isnt a consideration as I can expense it. Ideally not over 1k.

Most of the premium is on brighter colours/deeper blacks and fast response/low latency times. Add on G-sync and other gaming tech and gaming monitors cost a fortune.
If you grew up in the age of CRT where blacks were more of a dark grey then a little bit of blacklight bleed isn't going to bother you. If on the other hand you're a Morlock and love to watch stuff in a pitch black room then it can be a deal breaker with most IPS monitors.

I myself would love to have a large E-INK monitor for displaying data but the cost is too expensive
Get 2x 27'' 2K IPS monitors.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 19th Jun
RiverDragon87 m ago

Get 2x 27'' 2K IPS monitors.

You make sense, and its tempting as the superwide is a bit pricy to have no bezels. But it does look great, so may wait a tad longer to see what else is coming up, If that super wide was twice as tall I wouldnt hesitate.
DKLS41 m ago

You make sense, and its tempting as the superwide is a bit pricy to have …You make sense, and its tempting as the superwide is a bit pricy to have no bezels. But it does look great, so may wait a tad longer to see what else is coming up, If that super wide was twice as tall I wouldnt hesitate.

Twice as tall would be a 55" 3840x2160 screen, such as a 4K TV, of which there are plenty available for £999 or less.
EndlessWaves7 m ago

Twice as tall would be a 55" 3840x2160 screen, such as a 4K TV, of which …Twice as tall would be a 55" 3840x2160 screen, such as a 4K TV, of which there are plenty available for £999 or less.

I always thought you weren't supposed to use TVs as monitors, or is that old advice.
DKLS56 m ago

I always thought you weren't supposed to use TVs as monitors, or is that …I always thought you weren't supposed to use TVs as monitors, or is that old advice.

Not for work where accuracy is critical, but you wouldn't use the CHG90 there either.

What sort of multimedia dev are you talking about?
EndlessWaves56 m ago

Not for work where accuracy is critical, but you wouldn't use the CHG90 …Not for work where accuracy is critical, but you wouldn't use the CHG90 there either. What sort of multimedia dev are you talking about?

Mainly HTML5, with some audio/video/animation stuff.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants