New MTB Mountain Bike advice

Posted 19th Nov
Hi,

does anybody know a lot about mountain bikes here? I'm after a bike to ride around to lose weight. I'll be hitting the trails but nothing too severe to begin with. Is there a bike out there sub £600 that can be had new or used?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Can you do cycle to work scheme at work? With £600 you’ll get a £1000+ bike on it
If your going on the trials,id buy second hand. I made the mistake of going new. If you can live with some minor ware and tear ( which its going to get pretty quick if it was new anyway) you will get a MUCH better bike if you look around.
toonsquirel19/11/2019 20:44

Can you do cycle to work scheme at work? With £600 you’ll get a £1000+ bik …Can you do cycle to work scheme at work? With £600 you’ll get a £1000+ bike on it

I'm retired so that isn't an option I'm afraid.
Liam.K19/11/2019 21:25

If your going on the trials,id buy second hand. I made the mistake of …If your going on the trials,id buy second hand. I made the mistake of going new. If you can live with some minor ware and tear ( which its going to get pretty quick if it was new anyway) you will get a MUCH better bike if you look around.

What bike do you have?
For that money, you should get a new half decent hard tailed bike or maybe consider getting a better spec bike second hand.
Just google ‘best mtb under £609’ and you’ll get loads of reviews.
I went for a carrera vengeance from Halfords as my first bike, regularly you see them for around the £300 mark. Depends how much you want to initially invest vs how much use you’re going to get out of it.
I bought a Giant XTC SE about 10 / 11 years ago and it's still going strong. It's been used on the road, on trails and country tracks.

It's a solid, lightweight, hardtail with lockout front forks.

I think it cost around £500 at the time. It's a nice looking bike with a good standard setup.

A quick google shows results for under £200 used.
Edited by: "psychedelicrenegade" 20th Nov
ktm66619/11/2019 22:03

For that money, you should get a new half decent hard tailed bike or maybe …For that money, you should get a new half decent hard tailed bike or maybe consider getting a better spec bike second hand. Just google ‘best mtb under £609’ and you’ll get loads of reviews. I went for a carrera vengeance from Halfords as my first bike, regularly you see them for around the £300 mark. Depends how much you want to initially invest vs how much use you’re going to get out of it.

I was looking at the vengeance but thought it can't be any good for £300? I'll have to reconsider.
flowersofwar20/11/2019 05:56

I was looking at the vengeance but thought it can't be any good for £300? …I was looking at the vengeance but thought it can't be any good for £300? I'll have to reconsider.

As a beginners bike, it’s fine. It depends on how much you intend to use it. You can get one, keep it for a year or two and if you’re regularly using it, upgrade. If you find you give up after a while, you haven’t lost too much money.
If you’re confident you’ll stick to it and do it often, spend more on a bike.
The Halfords mountain bikes (Carrera/Voodoo/Boardman) are good value for money, just make sure you get at least eight gears on the back (a seven speed at the back has no upgrade options) and disc brakes rather than v-brakes, even if it's mechanical brakes it gives you the mounts if you want to change to hydraulic brakes letter which aren't too expensive.

What sort of trails do you have in mind, graded blue/red/black trails or just riding round non-technical natural trails?

When I was looking to start mountain biking recently (well seven years ago now) I bought an ex-hire hardtail for £425, nothing particularly fancy but it had a decent Deore/SLX drivetrain and Shimano hydraulic brakes. As I built up my ability I was able to ride quite challenging terrain on it and if starting again, I'd do something similar and look for a second hand hardtail as there's often plenty with people buying bikes with the intention of riding and never actually doing so.
mw77's post hotukdeals.com/dea…128
if you suit a small or medium size

whilst never worth £1200 quoted it has a fair amount of kit on it above entry level
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants