Groups

New, nearly new or used?

**This is the space where I give you background story, too much information in cluttered sentences**

Now, getting to the point I want to buy a car. But I am unsure of what I want but I'm sure that I only want to pay £150-160 per month for maybe four to five years. I have been looking at used (under 30k miles) Renault Captur, Peugeot 2008 etc. They're around £170-190/month on PCP. Is that even worth it?

The most basic criteria for me is a 5dr diesel. Anything else maybe negotiable.

I need information such as best place to get car finance from, cheapest car to buy if any deals are ongoing that you know of.

Basically this is my market research or the start to it at least. Since it'll be my first attempt to buy a car in a while.

14 Comments

I'm not to sure tbh but after 5 years you will of paid over 10k and how much do you think your car will be worth then?

*too

can't u afford buy a car out right will be a alot cheaper for one. u can pick up a Peugeot on a 2008 plate for under 2k easily and a decent one at that. why must it be a diesel do u drive over 12k miles per annum.

Original Poster

MynameisM

can't u afford buy a car out right will be a alot cheaper for one. u can … can't u afford buy a car out right will be a alot cheaper for one. u can pick up a Peugeot on a 2008 plate for under 2k easily and a decent one at that. why must it be a diesel do u drive over 12k miles per annum.

I do, average 12-14k in a year. Mostly commuting 50miles a day. 2008 for under 2k? Really?

Original Poster

spyro123

I'm not to sure tbh but after 5 years you will of paid over 10k and how … I'm not to sure tbh but after 5 years you will of paid over 10k and how much do you think your car will be worth then?

I thought the same but then I read somewhere on here that paying around £2k/yr is about average people pay for a using a decent car. Well confused!

Original Poster

MynameisM

can't u afford buy a car out right will be a alot cheaper for one. u can … can't u afford buy a car out right will be a alot cheaper for one. u can pick up a Peugeot on a 2008 plate for under 2k easily and a decent one at that. why must it be a diesel do u drive over 12k miles per annum.

Also, honestly I haven't got that kind of cash to pay upfront. So what I don't mind paying over 4-5 years if I am getting a decent deal and I'm not at a major loss. If that makes sense?

Similar situation last year, wanted a diesel crossover, newish. Couldn't for the life of me find anything near to the £170/month budget on PCP/HP. Ended up getting lease in the end. Car i wanted, 12k annual milage, dead on budget. Worked out i would only be pretty much paying the depreciation over 3 years so seemed like a no brainer.

agentfourty7

I thought the same but then I read somewhere on here that paying around … I thought the same but then I read somewhere on here that paying around £2k/yr is about average people pay for a using a decent car. Well confused!

Well I bought a car on finance about 5 years ago. It was about 3 years old, paid £270 a month for four years..after my final payment the car engine blew up my car was then worth about £500.

Original Poster

shepademus

Similar situation last year, wanted a diesel crossover, newish. Couldn't … Similar situation last year, wanted a diesel crossover, newish. Couldn't for the life of me find anything near to the £170/month budget on PCP/HP. Ended up getting lease in the end. Car i wanted, 12k annual milage, dead on budget. Worked out i would only be pretty much paying the depreciation over 3 years so seemed like a no brainer.

Ditto! Except I can't find good lease deals. Which one did you go for and for how much, if you don't mind sharing?

Original Poster

spyro123

Well I bought a car on finance about 5 years ago. It was about 3 years … Well I bought a car on finance about 5 years ago. It was about 3 years old, paid £270 a month for four years..after my final payment the car engine blew up my car was then worth about £500.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's exactly why I don't feel good about spending anything over £120-140 a month on any used cars. For £270 a month I can get a many new cars. But then again I think what's the point of buying a new one. There's always decent used cars.

I got the Jeep Renegade, just over £170. It's a love it or hate it design, but i like it

Original Poster

shepademus

I got the Jeep Renegade, just over £170. It's a love it or hate it … I got the Jeep Renegade, just over £170. It's a love it or hate it design, but i like it

I think it's a great design. And 12k miles too? Any deposit?

I am getting £190 a VW Polo! Brexit must have a role to play here I guess.

agentfourty7

I'm sorry for your loss. That's exactly why I don't feel good about … I'm sorry for your loss. That's exactly why I don't feel good about spending anything over £120-140 a month on any used cars. For £270 a month I can get a many new cars. But then again I think what's the point of buying a new one. There's always decent used cars.

Lol! Thanks.
    The cheapest new car you can buy on a lease is a Dacia if you aren't bothered about looks hotukdeals.com/dea…087

depends what you'd want to do with it in 3-5 years. its no surprise that finance is lower rate for new cars, so if you intend to change the vehicle then a PCP might be a good option. alternatively a lease might be good as mentioned above.

if you are looking at nearly new/used, i would recommend a personal loan instead if you have a good credit rating as the rates are usually more competetive than used car finance.

you'll probably get a better overall deal with a nearly new car using a personal loan if you want to keep it
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2026
      2. BT sport on sky boxes49
      3. Does anybody have a spare now tv entertainment pass please?47
      4. Lidl Memory Foam Mattress1216

See more discussions