New NHS App for Covid 19

Expert (Beta)16
Posted 12th Apr
An NHS contact tracing app has been ordered by the Government to help end the country-wide lockdown imposed due to the coronavirus outbreak. The app will be made by NHSX, the health service’s technology arm, who according to senior sources has been working on the app with Google and Apple at “breakneck speed”.

google.co.uk/amp…amp

What do you guys think of this

Could be it be effective and what’s needed?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Boobieman8812/04/2020 18:42

I think 95% of people who are not key-workers are abiding by the rules. …I think 95% of people who are not key-workers are abiding by the rules. Just that 5% of idiots that are not. No app needed mind

No app needed if we're all happy to stay at home for the next 6 months. On the other hand more advanced countries have used intense tracking to get their economies working again with low death rates. Yes, with loss of privacy. But if you're stuck at home like now, they know where you are anyway.
16 Comments
deleted2462218
I'd be worried about data protection, the NHS doesn't exactly have a good record. Also it may be targeted by trolls pretending to have the virus
Edited by: "deleted2462218" 12th Apr
deleted246221812/04/2020 17:57

I'd be worried about data protection, the NHS don't exactly have a good …I'd be worried about data protection, the NHS don't exactly have a good record. Also it may be targeted by trolls pretending to have the virus

Data protection could put people off downloading it.

false reporting could be issue and there would be no way to check.
deleted2462218
myusernamehasgone23412/04/2020 18:04

Data protection could put people off downloading it. false reporting could …Data protection could put people off downloading it. false reporting could be issue and there would be no way to check.

Also I read that to be effective at least 50% would need to download and use it. Can't see that happening.
deleted246221812/04/2020 18:06

Also I read that to be effective at least 50% would need to download and …Also I read that to be effective at least 50% would need to download and use it. Can't see that happening.

Possibly might get that many if they advised and encourage it. No sure how many people have smart phones, probably a quite large percentage I would imagine.
Positivity as always on here
I think 95% of people who are not key-workers are abiding by the rules. Just that 5% of idiots that are not. No app needed mind
Boobieman8812/04/2020 18:42

I think 95% of people who are not key-workers are abiding by the rules. …I think 95% of people who are not key-workers are abiding by the rules. Just that 5% of idiots that are not. No app needed mind

No app needed if we're all happy to stay at home for the next 6 months. On the other hand more advanced countries have used intense tracking to get their economies working again with low death rates. Yes, with loss of privacy. But if you're stuck at home like now, they know where you are anyway.
deleted2462218
harrythefish12/04/2020 18:52

No app needed if we're all happy to stay at home for the next 6 months. On …No app needed if we're all happy to stay at home for the next 6 months. On the other hand more advanced countries have used intense tracking to get their economies working again with low death rates. Yes, with loss of privacy. But if you're stuck at home like now, they know where you are anyway.

We have to remember that the app alone won't work we need the ability to test millions of people which isn't going to happen quickly.
deleted246221812/04/2020 18:55

We have to remember that the app alone won't work we need the ability to …We have to remember that the app alone won't work we need the ability to test millions of people which isn't going to happen quickly.

Such as happens in more advanced countries. Btw advanced <> rich.
deleted2462218
harrythefish12/04/2020 18:58

Such as happens in more advanced countries. Btw advanced <> rich.

Well it hasn't happened here thus far, can't even get the NHS ppe
Completely fair trade off in my opinion. Data protection protocols will be of the highest order I would imagine.
deleted2462218
Flappybunnyman12/04/2020 19:03

Completely fair trade off in my opinion. Data protection protocols will be …Completely fair trade off in my opinion. Data protection protocols will be of the highest order I would imagine.

Up until a few years ago the NHS was still using XP lol
myusernamehasgone23412/04/2020 18:04

Data protection could put people off downloading it. false reporting could …Data protection could put people off downloading it. false reporting could be issue and there would be no way to check.

I’ve read somewhere you’d receive a code for the app with your diagnosis for Covid19 so you wouldn’t be able to falsely diagnose yourself.
deleted2462218
This is worrying ... Its analysis of mortality rates in the 10 worst affected countries

coronavirus.jhu.edu/dat…ity
History has unfortunately demonstrated that extraordinary powers given for one off events on a temporary basis have a nasty habit of staying for a lot longer in a different guise. In the name of contact tracing & the greater good, governments are being given the ability to track every citizen and it will take just one person to unlock the genie. There is nothing talking about when the data collected will be permanently deleted and given the newness of corona, the government will argue that they need the data for a lot longer period for extended studies.

Or I am just being paranoid cooped up.
bozo00712/04/2020 20:14

History has unfortunately demonstrated that extraordinary powers given for …History has unfortunately demonstrated that extraordinary powers given for one off events on a temporary basis have a nasty habit of staying for a lot longer in a different guise. In the name of contact tracing & the greater good, governments are being given the ability to track every citizen and it will take just one person to unlock the genie. There is nothing talking about when the data collected will be permanently deleted and given the newness of corona, the government will argue that they need the data for a lot longer period for extended studies. Or I am just being paranoid cooped up.

No, you are not just being paranoid. It is addressed in this short BBC documentary
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions