Groups

New Now TV box update removing side loading/plex capabilities.

My now TV box has been hit with an update which removes the ability to use sideloaded apps via the developer mode.
    I've just googled it and they are rolling it out now. They state "The latest update has been designed to safeguard the device from piracy and illegal streaming of content; therefore it will disable the use of unofficial third party software or apps"

The reported fix (ping) doesn't work and updates are being forced through.

28 Comments

I wonder how long it'll be before Amazon do something similar to stop the likes of Kodi being installed on their Fire Sticks/Boxes.

Good spot

freakstyler

I wonder how long it'll be before Amazon do something similar to stop the … I wonder how long it'll be before Amazon do something similar to stop the likes of Kodi being installed on their Fire Sticks/Boxes.

you can just turn the update off.

Need to try this in the morning with a box that isnt plugged in so cant have been updated yet ....will switch wifi off in the house first see whether can disable the pings before connecting to the wifi

I have a box I have never switched on (still in original packaging). Is there any way to stop it from downloading the update so that I can put Plex on it? Or have I just missed the boat? I guess it would need to download a load of updates anyway, seeing as it's sat on a shelf for 18 months..

What is the version number of the new install?

Disabling network pings does not stop updates as I had this on already to fix issues with Virgin Media's (not so) "Super" Hub.

I've plugged in my old white box which has been offline for a while. Guess I'll have keep unplugging power when done for now.

I imagine this is ultimately going to increase sales of Roku boxes.

I hear Raspberry Pi's make good Plex players...

Original Poster

Faz1

Disabling network pings does not stop updates as I had this on already to … Disabling network pings does not stop updates as I had this on already to fix issues with Virgin Media's (not so) "Super" Hub.I've plugged in my old white box which has been offline for a while. Guess I'll have keep unplugging power when done for now.I imagine this is ultimately going to increase sales of Roku boxes.I hear Raspberry Pi's make good Plex players...

I'm just going off what I read elsewhere.

boo mines updated due to an powercut an hour ago. thanks anyway!

It updates whatever settings you try to do to block it.

Original Poster

Arsenal1234

It updates whatever settings you try to do to block it.

Yeah I've read that, and amended post.

There is no way to stop the update except to disconnect it from your network. Unless you know the update servers IP and add them to your host file to loop to localhost

Is there any 'fix' for this yet?
    Very annoying!

Good, piracy is illegal

Original Poster

benjammin316

Good, piracy is illegal

Plenty legal ways to use Plex.
    It's the Muppets on Facebook/eBay selling now TV boxes with access to pirated content that has forced sky's hand.

Amazon next either by their own accord or eventually forced. I'll bet my left nut on it

I said this was going to happen around a yr ago on hukd and got shouted down.

I've got a 1 yr old nowtv box white which I never connected if anyone wants it?

benjammin316

Good, piracy is illegal

It's a shame stupidity isn't

Happened to me as well.
    Kodi box from eBay now I suppose or I just chuck the old PS3 in the kitchen and use that.
    Would not mind by in the main my Plex is downloaded stuff that I mainly own (about 85%).
    Screw Sky.

I've got the plex app onmy amazon tv. It plays movies and shows ok but I can't get it to play any of the live tv. Any ideas please

benjammin316

Good, piracy is illegal

Yeah and anyone with half a brain cell would know Plex doesn't cause piracy, and blocking it on a £15 box isn't going to either. I don't need to pirate content but to put content on Plex, I do need a PC, which has had HDMI since I can remember, so if I decide to pirate content, I'm quite capable of plugging said PC into the tv, to watch.

What it has done, is give a good reason to get my old Raspberry PIs out and try them, amazingly 5 minutes after trying it, my first is now replacing the redundant NowTV box, with a better interface and all round better experience. So in many ways Sky has done me a favour. The only part of the NowTV still being used, is the remote.

Of course, without the NowTV there's no way I'm going to buy any more content from Sky, it's simply not worth unplugging the PI.

mike

This could end up making apps like Mobdro even more popular.

it won't take long for the movie industry to come after plex / Kodi like they did with torrents. when kodi box sellers make it so easy to watch pirated content it's just a matter of time

I think they would love to disable Amazon fire TV from adding our own apps then again who would buy one so in the long run they would be the loser as Chinese manufactures would just sell more sticks and boxes.

I think they would love to disable Amazon fire TV from adding our own apps then again who would buy one so in the long run they would be the loser as Chinese manufactures would just sell more sticks and boxes.

Mind you I could never understand how people get away with selling equipment on big sites like Ebay etc saying they will give you free this and that. Also big companies openly sell boxes and sticks and boost they will give you live sports and even fully load them for you.

mbuckhurst

Yeah and anyone with half a brain cell would know Plex doesn't cause … Yeah and anyone with half a brain cell would know Plex doesn't cause piracy, and blocking it on a £15 box isn't going to either. I don't need to pirate content but to put content on Plex, I do need a PC, which has had HDMI since I can remember, so if I decide to pirate content, I'm quite capable of plugging said PC into the tv, to watch.What it has done, is give a good reason to get my old Raspberry PIs out and try them, amazingly 5 minutes after trying it, my first is now replacing the redundant NowTV box, with a better interface and all round better experience. So in many ways Sky has done me a favour. The only part of the NowTV still being used, is the remote.Of course, without the NowTV there's no way I'm going to buy any more content from Sky, it's simply not worth unplugging the PI.mike

​What remote are you using with your RPi out of curiosity?

jaynino

What remote are you using with your RPi out of curiosity?

I'm thinking of using the Now TV remote on RPi, using a FLIRC stick... anyone comfirm that this work OK?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?25115
      2. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891717
      3. Any Xbox One news today?2356126
      4. Boom2511

See more discussions