Groups

New O2 Contract Question

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and the UK (International Student:geek: ), but I just had a few questions that I hope some of your could help me answer. I'm planning on getting the Online 100 Standard tariff with the Sony Ericsson k800i from O2. Now I know that the 100 minutes are x-net and anytime minutes, but what I'm not too sure about is if it's outgoing calls only or if it refers to incoming calls as well. A fellow student told me that all incoming calls are free and it's not mentioned as it's standard and understood, but I would just like to make sure and avoid getting screwed in the end. I know it's possible to get the phone cheaper with the cashback plans, but it's too much of a hassle for me and I won't around in the later months (9 and 12), to redeem the cashbacks, so this is the best plan I can see that would give me the phone for free and a good amount of text messages (500). Also, does anyone know if O2's phones are unlocked, if so, that's awesome and I can use the phone overseas as well; if not, does anyone know how much it costs to unlock the k800i? anyways, thank you guys so much in advance for the help:-D

PS. here's the link
    shop.o2.co.uk/tar…ths

13 Comments

If you have bought the contract in England then its free to receive calls in Engalnd.The Inclusive minutes are for outgoing calls.O2 do not usually lock their phones but have found some that are locked.K800i have been told can't and can unlock so not really sure which is right.Have a look through some sites on the web and you should get a very good idea if they can be unlocked or just pop down to your local market/phoneshop and ask if it can be unlocked.

May i also add that if you have Orange inclusive x-net minutes then calling abroad from your mobile phone using a x-net number is free,it just uses up your inclusive minutes.Please check to see which countries are free.:thumbsup:

in the uk. the allowance is counted by the second too. unlike US and many places where it is counted by the minute (i.e. a fragment of a minute will be charged at a whole minute).

100min/mth out going is not a lot, 3min20s a day on average. when i was a student, i took the (1000min) off peak tariff, which tends to be cheaper (or the same as the lowest anytime).

because you shouldn't find yourself making a lot of peak calls anyway. use text if possible during the day.

another tip is that not all network include 08xx in their allowance, for sure vodafone, orange and three don't, they are charged at at least 10p/min. however O2 does include them.

Original Poster

Snake

If you have bought the contract in England then its free to receive calls … If you have bought the contract in England then its free to receive calls in Engalnd.The Inclusive minutes are for outgoing calls.O2 do not usually lock their phones but have found some that are locked.K800i have been told can't and can unlock so not really sure which is right.Have a look through some sites on the web and you should get a very good idea if they can be unlocked or just pop down to your local market/phoneshop and ask if it can be unlocked.

Hi Snake, thanks a bunch for the help. I will be purchasing this phone and tariff online from O2 for use in London (England), so I assume all the incoming calls are free as it would not be roaming, right? I'll have a look into the k800i unlocking, but is there a way to find out if O2's version comes unlocked, if so, that would be awesome!:-D :-D I will call my local phoneshop tomorrow as well to confirm if it is possible to unlock the k800i or if O2's version is unlocked. Thanks once again:thumbsup:

@hotdealseeker

Thanks for the info, it's nice to know that you get billed by the second, so you don't get dinged for a full minute when your call lasts only 10 seconds. The plan I had back home in Canada was also billed by the second and had unlimited incoming calls, but that's a pretty rare find, but standard here in the UK. As for the 100 minutes a month, I think it should be okay since I primarily communicate with friends via text message and only call when it's important outside of class, but if for some reason I needed more minutes, I can always upgrade my plan right? but I think it should be okay for my purposes. As for making calls back to Canada, I got the mobile world sim and can call Canada for 5p/minute which is pretty damn good.

i had a k800i from o2 cpw and it's unlocked. pretty sure o2 ones are unlocked.

Original Poster

hotdealseeker

i had a k800i from o2 cpw and it's unlocked. pretty sure o2 ones are … i had a k800i from o2 cpw and it's unlocked. pretty sure o2 ones are unlocked.

Wow, that's great news!:-D

Oh and another thing, do you know of any promo codes that can be used with O2 online other than going through quidco? thanks:pirate:

dont think i have come across any promo codes for mobile contracts. have a look at the deal forum.

going through quidco is good and reliable.

if you don't mind cashback, may i suggest you this deal:
    k800i clearance on o2 400min100txt 12mth contract 8x 1.99 + 35.00, net £155.92
    ]http//ww…ICL

get £36.50 QuidCo cashabck.

but it could be tricky for credit check (buying online), if you are new to the country.

Original Poster

hotdealseeker

dont think i have come across any promo codes for mobile contracts. have … dont think i have come across any promo codes for mobile contracts. have a look at the deal forum.going through quidco is good and reliable.if you don't mind cashback, may i suggest you this deal:k800i clearance on o2 400min100txt 12mth contract 8x 1.99 + 35.00, net £155.92]http://www.e2save.com/mobile/phones/disphandset.php?handset=K800ICLget £36.50 QuidCo cashabck.but it could be tricky for credit check (buying online), if you are new to the country.

That's the thing, plus I won't be here during the christmas and summer holidays so I won't be able to get the full cashback anyways, so I would rather go with a straight forward deal through quidco. Once again, thanks a bunch, I will go ahead and order it through quidco right now. Hope it arrives soon:-D

e2save lets you to send the bill within 30days. should leave you enough time, also its the 4th, 8th and 12th bill, ie 3th, 7th and 11th mth into the contract (1st bill arrive at mth 0).

good luck.

Snake

May i also add that if you have Orange inclusive x-net minutes then … May i also add that if you have Orange inclusive x-net minutes then calling abroad from your mobile phone using a x-net number is free,it just uses up your inclusive minutes.Please check to see which countries are free.:thumbsup:

this is with orange broadband (VOIP), not mobile minutes, if you want to use your mobile (orange and T-mobile) you need to ring [SIZE=2]07744 97 4256 or 07744974373 before the international number, O2 customers can ring 0870 0415 256, or 08700415373 first...[/SIZE]

Original Poster

hotdealseeker

dont think i have come across any promo codes for mobile contracts. have … dont think i have come across any promo codes for mobile contracts. have a look at the deal forum.going through quidco is good and reliable.if you don't mind cashback, may i suggest you this deal:k800i clearance on o2 400min100txt 12mth contract 8x 1.99 + 35.00, net £155.92]http://www.e2save.com/mobile/phones/disphandset.php?handset=K800ICLget £36.50 QuidCo cashabck.but it could be tricky for credit check (buying online), if you are new to the country.

Looks like you were right about that :-( I was told the only way around it to get a friend or family member who has lived in the uk for more than 3 years to sign you up and then you can switch over the contract to your name. Damn this sucks:x Is there another phone company that I could go with with no hassle and maybe with an unlocked phone as well:oops: ?

Is there another phone company that I could go with with no hassle and … Is there another phone company that I could go with with no hassle and maybe with an unlocked phone as well:oops: ?

if you are buying online then i don't think there is an alternative other than keep trying or ask someone to apply who has good credit.

but if you go to the store, i think they are less strict. good luck.

i've had my first contract when i was 1 year in the country from the link, they might ask for £100 or something else as deposit paid back after 6 months.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 89109
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2850
      3. Sad news about Barcelona24103
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?24106

See more discussions