Expired

New passport countersignatories for 2 months old baby

Found 19th Jan
Good morning,

Ok so I’m applying for a new passport for my 2 months old baby and currently most of the people I know are care assistants as I’m into that profession myself.

Just want to know if a care assistant can countersign (as in do they qualify) my daughters passport application forms and if not what other options do I have
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
33 Comments
Here is the link to the accepted professions:
gov.uk/cou…ies
I'm afraid it doesn't look like a care assistant is acceptable. If you work for a company, then the manager or personnel officer is accepted. Alternatively in your work do you come across health professionals? A nurse, physio or occupational therapist would be acceptable.
Edited by: "agnes" 19th Jan
Interesting reading the list of acceptable signatories. Publican, journalist and M.P are all ok, but we can't trust those darn Doctor's!!
Original Poster
agnes1 h, 3 m ago

Here is the link to the accepted …Here is the link to the accepted professions:https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatoriesI'm afraid it doesn't look like a care assistant is acceptable. If you work for a company, then the manager or personnel officer is accepted. Alternatively in your work do you come across health professionals? A nurse, physio or occupational therapist would be acceptable.

Thanks... will have a look around
mrty9 m ago

Interesting reading the list of acceptable signatories. Publican, …Interesting reading the list of acceptable signatories. Publican, journalist and M.P are all ok, but we can't trust those darn Doctor's!!

That's a strange one, However I think it's probably because people were wasting doctors appointments for passport applications!.
It’s far much easier to go to your local post office. They offer a passport service too.
pricesavvy13 m ago

It’s far much easier to go to your local post office. They offer a p …It’s far much easier to go to your local post office. They offer a passport service too.

The post office won't countersign the form though
The manager can, thats considered a professional person. My friend just went through this and got her boss to sign.
pricesavvy3 h, 23 m ago

It’s far much easier to go to your local post office. They offer a p …It’s far much easier to go to your local post office. They offer a passport service too.

It has to be someone in professional standing and who has known you for a considerable amount of time. They offer a service, but it's a form checking service, not a countersignatory service.
.MUFC.3 h, 41 m ago

That's a strange one, However I think it's probably because people were …That's a strange one, However I think it's probably because people were wasting doctors appointments for passport applications!.

I thought it's because doctors may not know you personally so by looking at the photo they can't really confirm if that is the person in question. So it's a case of if they passport goes through extra checks and the countersignatory gets a letter back asking did you sign this application if so can you confirm the name date if birth and address of the applicant. They wouldn't really know who that particular photo belonged to.
If you're a member of a church or other religious body then the leader of that place ie the priest or imam can sign too.
adhkarzf16 m ago

I thought it's because doctors may not know you personally so by looking …I thought it's because doctors may not know you personally so by looking at the photo they can't really confirm if that is the person in question. So it's a case of if they passport goes through extra checks and the countersignatory gets a letter back asking did you sign this application if so can you confirm the name date if birth and address of the applicant. They wouldn't really know who that particular photo belonged to.

Maybe a contributing factor, A doctors time is better spent treating patients that countersigning passports.
adhkarzf21 m ago

I thought it's because doctors may not know you personally so by looking …I thought it's because doctors may not know you personally so by looking at the photo they can't really confirm if that is the person in question. So it's a case of if they passport goes through extra checks and the countersignatory gets a letter back asking did you sign this application if so can you confirm the name date if birth and address of the applicant. They wouldn't really know who that particular photo belonged to.

doctors belong to a profession so they can be trusted not to participate in fraud. if they do, like any other people who belong to a recognised profession, they will be struck off the register and will no longer be able to practise/work. professionals who belong to a professional body, like doctors, will be less likely to commit fraud like this as the consequence of being caught is too serious.
Edited by: "mutley1" 19th Jan
.MUFC.11 m ago

Maybe a contributing factor, A doctors time is better spent treating …Maybe a contributing factor, A doctors time is better spent treating patients that countersigning passports.

at my dad's gp surgery, they charge £60 to complete benefit forms or countersign photos etc.
gp surgeries are private practice so it is a way for them to make money.
mutley12 m ago

at my dad's gp surgery, they charge £60 to complete benefit forms or …at my dad's gp surgery, they charge £60 to complete benefit forms or countersign photos etc. gp surgeries are private practice so it is a way for them to make money.

Evidently.
.MUFC.4 m ago

Evidently.

they also charge for writing sick notes. it is disgusting how money motivated they are.
Don’t forget the person who signs the passport form needs to have known you for a minimum of 2 year as you will be the applicant on the form. They then need to countersign the photo declaring that it is a true likeness of your child. So they will have had to of met your child.

P.S I got my children’s passports signed by someone who has a VAT registered company as they qualify to countersign.
Edited by: "lisa4rob09" 19th Jan
lisa4rob091 h, 1 m ago

Don’t forget the person who signs the passport form needs to have known y …Don’t forget the person who signs the passport form needs to have known you for a minimum of 2 year

Does anybody actually take any notice of this?
.MUFC.2 h, 56 m ago

Maybe a contributing factor, A doctors time is better spent treating …Maybe a contributing factor, A doctors time is better spent treating patients that countersigning passports.

Most likely they would do it out of hours not during surgery time so wouldn't impact on patient care.
mutley13 h, 27 m ago

doctors belong to a profession so they can be trusted not to participate …doctors belong to a profession so they can be trusted not to participate in fraud. if they do, like any other people who belong to a recognised profession, they will be struck off the register and will no longer be able to practise/work. professionals who belong to a professional body, like doctors, will be less likely to commit fraud like this as the consequence of being caught is too serious.

What's your point? We were discussing why doctors can't countersign
adhkarzf37 m ago

Most likely they would do it out of hours not during surgery time so …Most likely they would do it out of hours not during surgery time so wouldn't impact on patient care.

Yes they probably would however people make appointments to see the doctor about countersigning. That appointment would be better suited to someone who genuinely needs a doctor.
Original Poster
Yeh but I was hoping her doctor will sign it and that wasn’t possible.
.MUFC.14 m ago

Yes they probably would however people make appointments to see the doctor …Yes they probably would however people make appointments to see the doctor about countersigning. That appointment would be better suited to someone who genuinely needs a doctor.

I guess so. My surgery asks what the appointment is for and if you say you need something signed then it's no appointment but leave your documents with them and they'll call you when it's done.
Original Poster
adhkarzf1 m ago

I guess so. My surgery asks what the appointment is for and if you say you …I guess so. My surgery asks what the appointment is for and if you say you need something signed then it's no appointment but leave your documents with them and they'll call you when it's done.

Mine just said No they don’t do it. Even asked if the midwife who was in charge of my Mrs could do it but they said No to that also.
adhkarzf3 m ago

I guess so. My surgery asks what the appointment is for and if you say you …I guess so. My surgery asks what the appointment is for and if you say you need something signed then it's no appointment but leave your documents with them and they'll call you when it's done.

Yes that's logical, not all of them use logic though or will just make something up in the hope that they'll do it there and then etc.
adhkarzf4 h, 16 m ago

If you're a member of a church or other religious body then the leader of …If you're a member of a church or other religious body then the leader of that place ie the priest or imam can sign too.

They must be a British passport holder though
mutley14 h, 3 m ago

at my dad's gp surgery, they charge £60 to complete benefit forms or …at my dad's gp surgery, they charge £60 to complete benefit forms or countersign photos etc. gp surgeries are private practice so it is a way for them to make money.

And this needs to be stopped. Once a doctor signs a letter for a fee stating patient has whip lash etc this is the green light for a personal injury claim that no insurance company will ever go against.

I pulled out of a side turning into a minor road, and a car hit me. It was totally my fault. My son was in the passenger seat and the other car hit the passenger door. The woman driver had a baby in the rear of her car. She got out of the car to inspect the damage and I showed more concern for her baby than she did. She phoned her mum from the scene and stated she won't be able to get over to see her today. £5k damage paid by insurance for the cars, total pay out £17k, £5k for baby and £7k for mum.

The baby was apparently clingy and had restless nights (I thought that is what they do), and the driver had 'terrible neck pain'.

A complete joke. If doctors didn't make their £60 signing these letters it would save £millions in abusive claims. It should be the law.

The woman concerned actually lives the next street along to me and is friends with my neighbour. I know for a fact this was a fraudulent claim. She even knocked on my door asking if I wanted to buy any of her chicken eggs some months later. My look said it all
Edited by: "OllieSt" 19th Jan
adhkarzf58 m ago

What's your point? We were discussing why doctors can't countersign

a doctor is a professional, like any other professional, so he should be able to countersign, but he should not do so during surgery hours. in this instance, i do think that a doctor is correct to charge a fee to do so as it has nothing to do with someone being ill or their medical history.
OllieSt30 m ago

And this needs to be stopped. Once a doctor signs a letter for a fee …And this needs to be stopped. Once a doctor signs a letter for a fee stating patient has whip lash etc this is the green light for a personal injury claim that no insurance company will ever go against.I pulled out of a side turning into a minor road, and a car hit me. It was totally my fault. My son was in the passenger seat and the other car hit the passenger door. The woman driver had a baby in the rear of her car. She got out of the car to inspect the damage and I showed more concern for her baby than she did. She phoned her mum from the scene and stated she won't be able to get over to see her today. £5k damage paid by insurance for the cars, total pay out £17k, £5k for baby and £7k for mum.The baby was apparently clingy and had restless nights (I thought that is what they do), and the driver had 'terrible neck pain'.A complete joke. If doctors didn't make their £60 signing these letters it would save £millions in abusive claims. It should be the law.The woman concerned actually lives the next street along to me and is friends with my neighbour. I know for a fact this was a fraudulent claim. She even knocked on my door asking if I wanted to buy any of her chicken eggs some months later. My look said it all

i agree that doctors charging for writing medical reports, issuing sick certificates, verifying someone's medical history opens up channels for abuse and i know some doctors do abuse this. i used to work with a colleague, who was always calling in sick, and he always had sick certificates to show human resource.

he and i were close so he told me that he knew his gp well and paid him to issue the sick certificates so he could be off work and still get paid. i didn't grass on him as we were close and were friends, but i didn't think it was very ethical of him to do this.
mutley11 h, 11 m ago

a doctor is a professional, like any other professional, so he should be …a doctor is a professional, like any other professional, so he should be able to countersign, but he should not do so during surgery hours. in this instance, i do think that a doctor is correct to charge a fee to do so as it has nothing to do with someone being ill or their medical history.

Doctors are not on the list so it doesn't matter if you think they are a professional or not they need to know you personally to be able to sign the photo. My opinion doesn't change fact and neither does yours, I suggest you take a look at the list of accepted professions.
OllieSt1 h, 40 m ago

They must be a British passport holder though

Yes good point!
.MUFC.1 h, 50 m ago

Yes that's logical, not all of them use logic though or will just make …Yes that's logical, not all of them use logic though or will just make something up in the hope that they'll do it there and then etc.

Hmmm I guess so if I was the gp though I'd just turf them out the consultation room.
Kojo_Segu1 h, 53 m ago

Mine just said No they don’t do it. Even asked if the midwife who was in c …Mine just said No they don’t do it. Even asked if the midwife who was in charge of my Mrs could do it but they said No to that also.

Nurses are on the approved list they have some initials next to it which I don't know what they stand for. Surely in your circle of friends you must know at least one professional?
A doctor can sign......if they know you well, quite clearly stated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants