Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

New PC Build spec - Your views on below spec please. Ready to buy £830.87

Posted 9th Apr
Hi All, After 10+ years I need another PC and was looking at this build on Scan, Tad rusty on today's spec but with a little research I think the below PC spec is ideal for me. I don't want a pre built PC.

Lite steam gaming ,odd video editing,rendering, streaming music DJ etc.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated before I hit the buy button ?

ASRock B450 Pro4, AMD B450, AM4, DDR4, 2x M.2, 2-Way CrossFire, Realtek GbE, USB 3.1 Gen2 A+C, ATX
£80.99

AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X, AM4, Zen 2, 6 Core, 12 Thread, 3.8GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo, 32MB L3, PCIe 4.0, 95W, CPU, +Wraith Spire
£209.99

8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 580 PULSE, 14nm Polaris, 2304 Streams, 1366MHz GPU, 8000MHz GDDR5, 2xDP/2xHDMI/DVI-D
£182.99

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuff, CAS 16, 1.35V, AMD Ryzen Optimised
£84.97

500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 2.5” SSD, SATA III 6Gb/s, MJX, MLC V-NAND, 512MB Cache, Read 550MB/s, Write 520MB/s, 98k/90k
£74.99

500W EVGA GD, 80 PLUSGold, Single Rail, 41.6A, 120mm Fan, Over Voltage Protection, ATX PSU
£49.99

AMD Wraith Prism LED RGB Hear Sink Cooler Fan Copper Base/Aluminum AM4/AM2/AM3/AM3+ 4-Pin Connector
£19.98

Thermaltake V250 TG ARGB, Mid Tower Chassis, Tempered Glass, 3x 120mm ARGB Fans, 1x 120mm, ATX/mATX Black
£59.99

512GB Intel SSD 660p Series, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, QLC 3D NAND, 1500MB/s Read, 1000MB/s Write, 90k/220k
£66.98

List Total
£830.87

3438305-7qPYm.jpgThanks in advance !!! Thanks in advance !!!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
I wouldn’t get rx580 with Ryzen 5 3600X that GPU is a bottleneck for that cpu. Try and move up to 5700XT
Get the Regular None X 3600 (though ive heard X already comes with Wraith Prism as atock cooler so probably best to get a regular 3600 and add a much better third party cooler)
i would Get a 5700 XT
Why 2 separate SSDs
500w is a little small, i would probably get at least 600 especially if im adding multiple ssds
Justsuperman09/04/2020 16:41

I wouldn’t get rx580 with Ryzen 5 3600X that GPU is a bottleneck for that c …I wouldn’t get rx580 with Ryzen 5 3600X that GPU is a bottleneck for that cpu. Try and move up to 5700XT

X isnt worth the extra
Mobo - Seems alright.

CPU - I'd go with the 3700X (or 3800X, if it's not much more expensive). It's 33% extra processing power for about 7% extra on your budget.

GPU - Consider the 1660. It's faster, and probably more energy efficient, saving you money long-term. They're only around £20 extra, too.

RAM - Absolutely not this stuff. Google "Ryzen e-die" for info on this, and buy the appropriate Crucial AES modules. The big benefit is that you'll almost certainly be able to push them to 1900MHz, which enables the CPU's IF to run at a far higher speed than normal, and that in turn means better performance.

SSDs - Why get two midrange SSDs (one SATA, one QLC NVMe), when you could buy a single 1TB NVMe TLC drive for the same money? You're sacrificing capacity for nothing with small slow drives.

PSU - fine

Cooler - Your CPU should come with one in the box. If you're buying aftermarket, aim for something a bit more effective and a bit quieter than the free AMD one.

Case - It's up to you, but I'd put £40 into the parts, and buy the most basic case you can find. Cases like that are just for kids who put their cases on their workspace, and sit admiring the pretty lights.
I'd get a 5700xt over the 580.

The 3600x is a good enough cpu, i have a 9900k and i only use half of it.

Maybe get 1 1tb m. 2 nvme ssd? Rather than two separate ssd's?

I'd get a 600w psu, it'll give you some future proofing if you add a water cooler in future.

The free cooler with the 3600x isn't that bad if you keep everything stock.

Spend another £10 and get a corsair 275R case?
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 9th Apr
Why not tomahawk max ? Will handle better CPU if u wanted upgrade again.

Get the 3600, if not go for 3700x
Pájaro09/04/2020 17:04

Mobo - Seems alright. CPU - I'd go with the 3700X (or 3800X, if it's not …Mobo - Seems alright. CPU - I'd go with the 3700X (or 3800X, if it's not much more expensive). It's 33% extra processing power for about 7% extra on your budget. GPU - Consider the 1660. It's faster, and probably more energy efficient, saving you money long-term. They're only around £20 extra, too.RAM - Absolutely not this stuff. Google "Ryzen e-die" for info on this, and buy the appropriate Crucial AES modules. The big benefit is that you'll almost certainly be able to push them to 1900MHz, which enables the CPU's IF to run at a far higher speed than normal, and that in turn means better performance.SSDs - Why get two midrange SSDs (one SATA, one QLC NVMe), when you could buy a single 1TB NVMe TLC drive for the same money? You're sacrificing capacity for nothing with small slow drives.PSU - fineCooler - Your CPU should come with one in the box. If you're buying aftermarket, aim for something a bit more effective and a bit quieter than the free AMD one.Case - It's up to you, but I'd put £40 into the parts, and buy the most basic case you can find. Cases like that are just for kids who put their cases on their workspace, and sit admiring the pretty lights.

Thanks Guys , I've made some adjustments - Revised List and Scan Link -

CPU - 3600X £209 and 3700X £299. £99 Difference - 3600 is £174 - So will opt for the 3600 - Unless I find a 3700x in the £220 range. as really want to go for Stock items !!

Cooler - AMD Wraith Prism LED RGB Hear Sink Cooler Fan Copper - have to stick with this as you don't get this in the bundle.

GPU - changed to Zotac 1660 as was £20 extra. - Those recommending the 5700 just cant afford right now, Hence going for
this MB to future proof can invest in one of those later.

Case - Ditched case - Good shout. I cant be doing with leds going off etc. opted for basic case, Need to have front DVD
drives and Top usbs and power , The corsair 275R case not sutible.

Storage - I opted for two mid range SSD's a) due to costs b) also thinking best to separate for alt caching of games and rendering projects. As using the M.2 NVmE ssd for OS only and programs.

This I have changed to >
1TB Intel SSD 660p Series, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, QLC 3D NAND, 1800MB/s Read, 1800MB/s Write, 150k/220k £149.00 - Will partition and see how it goes. So happy to ditch the additional SSD.

Ram - I came across these based on my research on E-die.
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-3200C16D-8GVR 8 GB (4 GBx2) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 1.35 V Memory Kit - Classic Black This i have to get from another supplier Amazon. £119.00

I've had a read on this and tad confused so are we saying - the way moderns CPU's communicates with the memory have changed with the introduction of this new 3rd gen world.

Question on the Ram, What would you recommend - ?

Revised Scan List here missing Ram - Let us know your thoughts folks ?
Edited by: "BullyDeals" 9th Apr
I'd also check for open box cards from decent places, maybe amazon warehouse?
Tbf there's a 1080 for £250 which would have a 1 year warranty.
Jordan_Taylor09/04/2020 21:43

Tbf there's a 1080 for £250 which would have a 1 year warranty.

Isn't the 1080 a backward step from the 1660 ?
Unless you're planning on adding multiple expansion cards of need to cool many hundreds of watts of hardware I'd go for a small form factor case, motherboard and power supply personally. They're so much nicer than a bulky tower case.

The 3600 does come with a reasonable cooler, you don't need another one unless you're planning to overclock.

Memory is just a case of getting whichever highest speed is a reasonable price (not much more than the cheapest speed). Unless you're going for decorative effect there's not much to choose between them.
BullyDeals09/04/2020 22:01

Isn't the 1080 a backward step from the 1660 ?

No the 1080 has a fair advantage over the 1660, a 2060 is just about slower than a 1080.
BullyDeals09/04/2020 21:28

Thanks Guys , I've made some adjustments - Revised List and Scan Link -CPU …Thanks Guys , I've made some adjustments - Revised List and Scan Link -CPU - 3600X £209 and 3700X £299. £99 Difference - 3600 is £174 - So will opt for the 3600 - Unless I find a 3700x in the £220 range. as really want to go for Stock items !!Cooler - AMD Wraith Prism LED RGB Hear Sink Cooler Fan Copper - have to stick with this as you don't get this in the bundle.GPU - changed to Zotac 1660 as was £20 extra. - Those recommending the 5700 just cant afford right now, Hence going for this MB to future proof can invest in one of those later.Case - Ditched case - Good shout. I cant be doing with leds going off etc. opted for basic case, Need to have front DVD drives and Top usbs and power , The corsair 275R case not sutible.Storage - I opted for two mid range SSD's a) due to costs b) also thinking best to separate for alt caching of games and rendering projects. As using the M.2 NVmE ssd for OS only and programs. This I have changed to > 1TB Intel SSD 660p Series, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, QLC 3D NAND, 1800MB/s Read, 1800MB/s Write, 150k/220k £149.00 - Will partition and see how it goes. So happy to ditch the additional SSD.Ram - I came across these based on my research on E-die. G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-3200C16D-8GVR 8 GB (4 GBx2) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 1.35 V Memory Kit - Classic Black This i have to get from another supplier Amazon. £119.00I've had a read on this and tad confused so are we saying - the way moderns CPU's communicates with the memory have changed with the introduction of this new 3rd gen world.Question on the Ram, What would you recommend - ? Revised Scan List here missing Ram - Let us know your thoughts folks ?

Amazon are selling the 3700X for £269 at the moment. If Scan are wanting to charge you an extra £20 for the heatsink, you're really only looking at a £40 difference between the 6 and the 8 core parts, and I'd strongly recommend you pay that extra. Whenever else can you add 33% more power to a PC for just £40?

Re the SSD, check out the Sabrent Rocket 1TB amazon.co.uk/Sab…4XR . Its price has gone up substantially (mine was just £82, back in November), but it's a great drive, and because it's TLC, it'll gve you substantially better performance than the QLC Intel 660P.

The RAM, definitely go with the Crucial Ballistix e-die stuff. Here's some amazon.co.uk/Bal…8-1, but any of Crucial's RAM with AES in the model number is worth going for. Google for 1usmus' DRAM calculator for a guide on how to overclock it to 3800, which can yield some substantial performance improvements.
Pájaro10/04/2020 01:49

Amazon are selling the 3700X for £269 at the moment. If Scan are wanting …Amazon are selling the 3700X for £269 at the moment. If Scan are wanting to charge you an extra £20 for the heatsink, you're really only looking at a £40 difference between the 6 and the 8 core parts, and I'd strongly recommend you pay that extra. Whenever else can you add 33% more power to a PC for just £40? Re the SSD, check out the Sabrent Rocket 1TB https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR . Its price has gone up substantially (mine was just £82, back in November), but it's a great drive, and because it's TLC, it'll gve you substantially better performance than the QLC Intel 660P. The RAM, definitely go with the Crucial Ballistix e-die stuff. Here's some https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballistix-BLS2K8G4D32AESBK-PC4-25600-Single-288-Pin/dp/B07MNJP6RW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=crucial+ballistix&qid=1586479658&sr=8-1, but any of Crucial's RAM with AES in the model number is worth going for. Google for 1usmus' DRAM calculator for a guide on how to overclock it to 3800, which can yield some substantial performance improvements.

Well the apparent effective speed difference between the two is 2%, a 3600x is more than enough for gaming and out of the box better than the 3700x believe it or not,

Sure having the two extra cores will come in handy when multi core utilisation is better in games, i have a 9900k and atm it doesn't even break a sweat.

he should put the extra money into a nicer gpu than a 1660.
Why does nobody seem to factor in a keyboard, mouse, thermal paste (if needed), monitor etc. into any build?
I've been looking at bits and pieces at present, and everyone who seems to recommend things never seems to include these items in the "build this top of the range gaming machine for £800" or whatever.

Is it worth going for a 240Hz monitor as a way of "futureproofing"?
Build it ..run it all at stock ...only when you feel you need extra perf start overclocking. get a fractal define case smart sober and very business. One drive better than two .
BUT ....BUT... Are you sure you want to spend this money ? nobodys future income is assured and hard times are ahead.
Maybe stick to your budgetary instincts and go low (price) on the components. 1660 , hexa-cpu, 8gb ,500gb sata, .. get that lot working and be amazedballs at the modern performace ..
For someone rusty, I think your choices are very good
Edited by: "GwanGy" 10th Apr
xenole10/04/2020 09:22

Why does nobody seem to factor in a keyboard, mouse, thermal paste (if …Why does nobody seem to factor in a keyboard, mouse, thermal paste (if needed), monitor etc. into any build?I've been looking at bits and pieces at present, and everyone who seems to recommend things never seems to include these items in the "build this top of the range gaming machine for £800" or whatever.Is it worth going for a 240Hz monitor as a way of "futureproofing"?

Because didn't he just ask for the desktop? And what's the point of a 240hz monitor with his desktop budget?
Jordan_Taylor10/04/2020 10:06

Because didn't he just ask for the desktop? And what's the point of a …Because didn't he just ask for the desktop? And what's the point of a 240hz monitor with his desktop budget?

You do seem to like picking an argument don't you? Second time you've negatively responded to a post of mine asking simple questions, or expanding upon something.
xenole10/04/2020 10:35

You do seem to like picking an argument don't you? Second time you've …You do seem to like picking an argument don't you? Second time you've negatively responded to a post of mine asking simple questions, or expanding upon something.

I don't mean any upset to yourself, all is good
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 10th Apr
Jordan_Taylor10/04/2020 08:32

he should put the extra money into a nicer gpu than a 1660.

If he's describing his desires as light gaming then he's unlikely to be interested in chasing the best graphics. A 1660 is more than enough to run any game enjoyably.

xenole10/04/2020 09:22

Why does nobody seem to factor in a keyboard, mouse, thermal paste (if …Why does nobody seem to factor in a keyboard, mouse, thermal paste (if needed), monitor etc. into any build?I've been looking at bits and pieces at present, and everyone who seems to recommend things never seems to include these items in the "build this top of the range gaming machine for £800" or whatever.Is it worth going for a 240Hz monitor as a way of "futureproofing"?

Most non-high end coolers come with thermal paste already applied, and most people buying a desktop already have one and peripheral connection standards change slowly so they don't generally need replacing at the same time as the PC.

The PC market is dominated by battery powered devices these days, so a higher minimum refresh rate (which consumes more electricity) is not going to become standard in the forseeable future. 100hz+ screens will remain a side product for graphical enthusiasts, and not be required to run anything.
EndlessWaves10/04/2020 12:13

If he's describing his desires as light gaming then he's unlikely to be …If he's describing his desires as light gaming then he's unlikely to be interested in chasing the best graphics. A 1660 is more than enough to run any game enjoyably. Most non-high end coolers come with thermal paste already applied, and most people buying a desktop already have one and peripheral connection standards change slowly so they don't generally need replacing at the same time as the PC.The PC market is dominated by battery powered devices these days, so a higher minimum refresh rate (which consumes more electricity) is not going to become standard in the forseeable future. 100hz+ screens will remain a side product for graphical enthusiasts, and not be required to run anything.

I was mainly focusing on the fact he could get a 1080 for £250 or a 1660 super for £218 ,

if he's just getting a 1660 then he should also consider a 1650 super if he wants to save a few pounds.
Jordan_Taylor10/04/2020 10:57

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amd-ryzen-5-3600-six-core-42ghz-gigabyte-b450-aorus-m-motherboard-cpu-bundle-3438891 should save you a few quid mate

Thats a carcking deal that. Cheers will consider.
How ever i also found this bundle scan.co.uk/pro…ith
Edited by: "BullyDeals" 10th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions